• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Esporta, ARC and Trevor Munn

GBT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I have spent a few hours looking through the forums and am reasonably confident that this particular case will not get to court but I was after some process advice. Summary - son was cajoled into joining Esporta gym in Leeds by smooth talking, high pressure salesman who got him to sign the CCA at the end of the sales pitch. Saleman clinched the deal on the basis that Son only needed to tell reception that he wanted to cancel and all would be OK.

Son fell out with Esporta after 3 months of ARC chasing his best friend (who did not complete the application form process i.e. he did not sign anything) for unpaid membership fees. Eventually, after much to-ing and fro-ing, they dropped this. Son advised the cretins on the desk that he was so angry with them that he would certainly not be renewing his membership once the 12 months minimum period had expired and would be cancelling his DD once the final payment was made.

He completed 12 months and duly cancelled his DD. Bring on letter from Esporta, reply from Son stating he gave notice as advised by the salesman (now left the business). ARC then engage and advise the 'debt' was 3 months as per the contract plus expenses and fees. Total £162. I was submitted to their usual agressive, wind-you-up-til-you-lose-your-rag-then-hang-up tactics.

I have contacted TSO/Consumer Direct and used my house insurance legal aid and both told me the same thing. If it states clearly that 3 months is needed you are likely to lose a court case.

Read in the posts on the forums that this doesn't seem to be the case.

Son has sent a letter to Esporta general manager (attached) but no response and now another letter from Munn with extra costs added.

The costs they show are different to those shown in the Esporta contract ie they claim £20 admin fee where the contract states £15. Interest is charged at 8% which I beleive to be excessive. Would this be sufficient to throw it out of court if it ever gets there?

How do I get them to hear the case in Leeds rather than Northampton?

Any idea what the next steps should be?

Do I chase Esporta and tell ARC it is under dispute so back off?

Do I tell ARC the terms and conditions of the original contract are unfair and see you in court to discuss?

I reckon I'll have 6 months of aggro from ARC - the usual time it seems, but given that Esporta is going under I'd like to close this before it get complicated by administrators winding up the company or new owners chasing the 'debt'.

Thanks

GBT

esporta desist letter1.doc

I think in the first instance you would need to clarify what exactly is shown in the terms and conditions of the agreement that was signed,

also check carefully because a lot of these agreements are actually membership agreements and not finance agreements.

since the contract was for 12 months, find the stipulation which refers to auto-renewal and cancellation terms.

Since the original 12 month contract has ran its course, depending on what the agreement contains I would argue that rather than cancelling the original agreement, I just simply declined to renew, or take out a further contract

If they do go through the Northampton route, you will have the option at that time to refer the account to your local county court

Thanks spamheed

The contract contains a statement that the membership can be terminated by "3 months written notice" although it also states on one of the documents "3 months notice" no mention of written!

Its this that I am objecting to most strongly. As my son:

gave around 4 months verbal notice that he would not be continuing his membership & he wasn't advised at the time that he should put it in writing,

was told that he could cancel verbally by the cretin that signed him up then he should be free to walk with no costs under the Verbal Misrepresentation Act 1967.

The 3 months is patently an unfair period as Esporta do not actually suffer any loss by him cancelling (ie there are no associated costs that they need to cover even if he is not there).

The manager is hiding and ARC are chasing so would rather push Esporta into cancelling this rather than deal with ARC but not sure who should be dealing with this.

ARC's original letter states the "account has been passed to us for collection" so does this mean they own it or are just trying o collect?

Should I sent the CCA & postal order to Esporta to identify who is the real owner of the alleged debt?

GBT

Thanks spamheed

The contract contains a statement that the membership can be terminated by "3 months written notice" although it also states on one of the documents "3 months notice" no mention of written! if the method of informing about the notice period is not stipulated in the agreement ie in writing, then it is not part of the agreement and cannot be used as part of the enforcement process

Its this that I am objecting to most strongly. As my son:

gave around 4 months verbal notice that he would not be continuing his membership & he wasn't advised at the time that he should put it in writing, he didn't cancel, he decided not to renew, since there was no cancellation, there is no case to answer

was told that he could cancel verbally by the cretin that signed him up then he should be free to walk with no costs under the Verbal Misrepresentation Act 1967. they will always deny this - always best to get everything in writing and check the small print - hindsight is a wonderful gift :rolleyes:

The 3 months is patently an unfair period as Esporta do not actually suffer any loss by him cancelling (ie there are no associated costs that they need to cover even if he is not there).

The manager is hiding and ARC are chasing so would rather push Esporta into cancelling this rather than deal with ARC but not sure who should be dealing with this. the contract is with the gym, take it up with them and ignore arc as they are just a bunch of chancers

ARC's original letter states the "account has been passed to us for collection" so does this mean they own it or are just trying o collect?

Should I sent the CCA & postal order to Esporta to identify who is the real owner of the alleged debt?

GBT

you would generally cca whoever is making the demands, but i would send it to the gym and see what they come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks spamhead.

Your comment made me review what I have and the only thing that is signed - the Credit Agreement - states:

Membership start date 30/04/08, Commitment period end date 30/04/09 and underneath these dates:

"membership may be terminated with 3 months written notice given at any time to expire on or after the minimum commitment period" on one side of the agreement and

"your membership continues indefinitely until expiry of 3 months notice of termination given at any time to expire on or after the minimum commitment period" on the reverse.

A clear contradiction and indication that they don't really have a leg to stand on as the credit agreement is only for 12 months - regardless of what is on the back of the agreement.

So, as you point out, the membership automatically ends with the agreement (as that is all that was signed up to), the fact that they then want an automatic renewal by implying this continues beyond the 12 month agreement is not enforceable especially as they have the statement about 3 months notice highlighted under "important points about your membership"

I think we'll continue to sit this out as Esporta have passed our desist letter to ARC who promptly rang us and son again and met with - "put it in writing - we will not speak with you". 2 weeks on, no follow up letter from ARC!

Fingers crossed!

One thing that did cross my mind is that even though the forums are really useful, it would be even stronger if we had a register of everyone in a similar situation that eventually got Esporta/ARC to give in and drop the action against them. This would give everyone case evidence that would stop ARC/Esporta dead in their tracks in future - anyone know if this exists?

Cheers

GBT

• 2 months later...

Hi GBT

I had exactly the same problem with Esporta last year in a London club, when they contradicted themselves in the notice period.

I tried to cancel after one year but they said I need to give 3 months notice, so in effect I would have to be with them for 15 months. My 13th month was free, so I only had to pay for two months, although I wasn't happy about this.

Eventually after an exchange of letters and threatening them with court action, in addition to quoting the Unfair Contract Terms Act, they only asked for payment of one month, instead of two, which I accepted.

Latest update

Despite making it very clear months ago that we will see them in court as the termination notice clause is not enforceable, we have now received two letters from a scottish collection agency SCOTCALL debt collection services.

The first one back in September advising that their clients Esporta (interesting as previous correspondence from ARC stated the debt had been passed to them) had engaged them to collect the debt and unless they get something within the week they MAY make a doorstep call.

I did nothing and waited, preparing the family for the fun and readying the harrassment and trespass call to the police if they did turn up.

Fast forward middle of October and a second letter from Scotcall advising that they had not heard anything and would be recommending to their client that court action would be necessary to recover the debt unless we paid within 7 days.

Still not responding - I thought "please refer to my original statement - see you in court!"

Cannot believe that these people cannot understand that all of the calls, red letters, threats, increase in debt value, passing to solicitors, more threats, passing to doorstep collection agents, more threats amount to basic harassment and, if I ever do get to court, undermine their case.

I'll post updates as they arrive for the amusement of the forum.

GBT

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've had a lot of help from this site and from other peoples experience with Esporta/arc/Trevor Munn so here is where I stand at the moment with Esporta.

I signed a 12 month contract and decided to cancel my membership after 20 months giving a 3 months notice in writing (not recorded delivery :mad:) which they claim they did not receive and I also sent an email 1 month before I terminated my contract, what more do they want I hear you ask?.

Well Esporta still wanted me to pay for another 3 months notice because they didn't receive my letter (Cheeky B******s) which I refused so they passed my details to ARC and this is when i started getting several phone calls from ARCs charming employees which after a few calls I told them not to speak to me over the phone anymore and only contact me via post (Which really winds them up, I recommend it :D).

Note: keep a note of dates & times of all the calls, and if you can get a name.

I then started receiving letters from T Munn which to be honest scared me @ first but when you read them properly you know they're just bluffing. They keep threatening court action but do absolutely nothing about it. I Ignored these letters and when ARC called again I told them that they will never see 1 penny of my money so take me to court and stop being so generous by giving me all these last chances.

Esporta then called me and told me that they would settle for 1 month payment which I was going to pay then decided why should I give them any money especially after months of harassment, so I sent them a letter telling them that they have 2 choices 1) take me to court or 2) close my account if they do neither then I will take the matter to court myself. After months of harassment I have not heard anything from these Muppets for 5 weeks.

Please don't pay these guys a penny stand your ground, do not speak to them over the phone Only via post.

You will probably receive a couple of letters from T Munn threatening court action followed by a few more calls from ARC (More scare tactics).

These guys just try & bully people into paying up money they don't owe. We need to stand our ground and not part with a penny.

Good Luck Guys and don't take any sh*t from these idiots.

Here's a couple of phone numbers that really helped me.

Trading Standards 020 8545 4018

Consumer direct 08454 04 05 06

Hope this helps.

Edited by KHH

• 4 weeks later...
No it will not affect my credit rating.

As far as I am aware, your credit rating can only be affected if you get a CCJ and fail to pay. This requires a trip to court and not just empty threats.

GBT

• 3 weeks later...

As far as i'm concerned i'm not paying a penny to esporta I've just received a letter from Scotcall threatening to come to my house, i have a pregnant wife and a very ill tempered dog that does not like strangers not sure which one is more dangerous so I've now decided to pass all my information to trading standers and take Esporta to court myself (I've F***ing had enough)

since they haven't got the balls to do it themselves.

Will let you know how it goes.

• 2 months later...

I've just been through 6 months or arguments, letters, nasty phone calls, Court letters etc etc, then at the final push they backed down and let me walk away.

My membership was on suspension for a few months and following redundancy I didn't have the magical '3 months pay off' for them, things got nasty and the price went from £180 to £230 to even £280 with court costs!! they offered me a special offer of £150 to walk away.

I stood my ground wrote a letter to head office asking for some compassion, understanding and the fact ARC were intimidating and distressing, causing even more stress to an already difficult time, oh and I had reported ARC to OFT and Trading standards.

A victory for the small man, ARC are nothing but intimidating bullies.

Take note and stand your ground, they are just playing the percentage game, the more people give in the richer they get.