• Tweets

• I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Growing HSBC Managed Loan Advice

djwigster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, first post so please be gentle :)

Unbeknown to me, my darling wife has had some fairly serious debts which date back to before we were married. I am currently waiting on a SAR to get the full story, but as far as I can tell, back in 2003 she had a personal loan, credit card and overdraft with HSBC, which was consolidated into a managed loan of around £5000 in July 2003. :mad:

This is bad enough, but it would seem that this was re-jigged/topped up 3 times so that by Nov 2004 it was for £19000!!

I have calculated that she has paid over £15000 on it, and the current balance is approx £14000, with the £220/month payments actually only lowering the balance by £100/month approx.

I was, as you can imagine, fuming about this when I found out but now need to deal with it. So, a few questions:

1. What are my chances of getting the managed loan written off as unenforcable? Obviously I can post the CCAs when I have them, but as a general guide am I wasting my time, or are there ways and means to get rid of these things? (The last re-jig was done in July 2005 if this helps).

2. Is is legal/good practise for a managed loan to be increased in value by nearly 4 times the original amount within 16 months?

I was under the impression that these types of loans were for bad credit risks, who are obviously no good with money. It seems a bit bizarre of the bank to want to lend more out to these people...unless of course they only had their interests at heart.

3. If things get nasty and bailiffs are involved would they be able to take anything of "mine" in the house (house is in my name only, and I can prove I have paid for 99% of the valuable things in the house).

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DJW, welcome to the forum :)

Well , you have a number of issues to address there - but the first I think should be obtaining copies of the agreements and as you suggest, posting them on here for advice .

Until you have that you have to really just hold on , but do a bit of reading round the threads on this site , so you can get an idea of how to proceed ..........

You are right of course , the Bank should not have been lending further on Managed Loans - these are supposed to be a short-term measure to help someone through a temporary difficulty and are supposed to be reviwed periodically to see if they can be re-structured to the customers benefit - not the banks coffers........ but as far as I know it's not illegal - IMHO it's unethical and unprofessional , but that's the banks all over these days .

It could be that a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman may bear fruit , if they consider the increase of the Loan to be irresponsible and unethical , here is the link if you want to try from that angle as well :

Financial Ombudsman Service

As regards the Bailiffs - this forum may help you with that :

Bailiffs and Sheriff Officers - The Consumer Forums

it's got a lot of useful info on what Bailiffs can and cant do ........

By all means come back and ask if you need further assistance - someone will answer - and we're user-friendly on here ..... :D

• Haha 1

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice :)

Thanks also for those links - most useful, and some very interesting threads on the bailiffs forum!

Will post again when I get the info from HSBC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Received a letter from HSBC saying that they are in the process of actioning my request and will be providing me with "either copy statements or a report detailing any charges" so I can claim these back.

I have this morning sent them a letter basically saying that this is unacceptable, asking which part of "subject access request" they are struggling to understand, further reinteration of the data I require (ALL!), confirmation that they've had my £10, and a reminder that the clock is still ticking from my first letter of the 8th July!

Will let you know how the cretins respond :)

Well done djw , keep 'em on the back foot - they're trying to get away with this garbage too often these days...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, another update for you.

We received a letter from HSBC on the 6th August saying that they have accepted our request for a SAR to be carried out and that "the data will be dispatched on or before 12th August 2009 to your nominated branch at xxxxxx"

Despite numerous visits to the branch and phonecalls chasing people up it would seem that nothing has yet turned up at the branch. We are now way over the 40 days from the original request (8th July) so what's the next stage please...a letter something like this?:

----------

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear xxxx

Reference your letter dated 6th August 2009 (copy enclosed for your information).

In your letter you state that data you hold on me will be dispatched to my nominated branch on or before 12th August 2009. To date no such data has been received at the branch for me to collect.

You have therefore failed to comply with my Data Protection Act Subject Access Request dated 8th July 2009 (copy letter enclosed).

If you do not comply within the next 7 days I shall seek a Court order obliging you to do so together with damages at the discretion of the Court and without any further notice. I will also be notifying the Information Commissioners Office of your non compliance.

Yours faithfully

----------

Edited by djwigster

Another quick update...

Had a response to the above "letter before action" I sent and....youre never going to believe this....HSBC reckon they made a mistake in their last letter and it should have said that the SAR will be delivered to our local branch on the 12th September, not 12th August.

Im obviously going to believe that as Im so gullible :rolleyes:!!

Im also going to believe them when they go on to say that although they received my first SAR request letter on the 11th July, as they only "accepted it for processing" on the 4th August, they will still be within the 40 days limit stipulated by the data protection act :rolleyes:!!

....and Im definitely going to report them to the information commissioner :p:D

Hi djw,

It doesn't matter when they 'accept it for processing ' (cheeky beggars!) ...:rolleyes:... If you have the date they signed for it , or allow 2 days for first class post to arrive ... then the 40 day clock starts ticking from there ....

So, stick to your timetable not theirs ..... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

As per revised title, we have now received a huge box full of documents comprising:

1 x CD of phone calls

1 x DVD which seems to be password protected :mad:

In excess of 3000 sheets of computer print outs

200 sheets of other information including some CCAs etc.

I will give more feedback when Ive been through it all, but just one quick point...there's nothing about any PPIs on the loans (apart from the payment data on the CCAs), and not a lot else about all of the loans (no demands and needs sheets, statements of means sheets or anything like that)...is this usual for managed loans upwards of £20K?

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally managed to have a little look through some of the info after being on holiday for a bit, and by the looks of the CCA's only the latest loan is a managed one (even though the others appear as managed loans on the bank statements).

So, this may change things a bit :confused:

Anyway, here's the CCA for that latest loan...any comments?

th_MlnScan1.jpg

th_MlnScan2.jpg

th_MlnScan3.jpg

th_MlnScan4.jpg

All help gratefully received, thanks :)

It seems to be all there djw ......

But there would appear to be a discrepance in the calculation of repayments ...

144 x £219 = £31536

The amount they said it was costing you was :

+ 14643.25

= 31463.25

I suspect the final payment should have been something other than £219.00,to make the sum right it should have been £147.25 ...but it's their mistake I reckon ..

This would make an overcalculation of £62.75 ...... I believe ANY discrepancy should render this account unenforceable ..... which doesn't mean it goes away , but they can't chase you for it.... you can pay it at your leisure .....

perhaps someone else would like to check my calcs on this and confirm my reasoning on the unenforceability aspect ..... I know it's somewhere on the forum , just can't find it at the moment ....... :)

Edited by johnnymitch
Afterthought .......

Nemo me impune lacessit

Ah ! have a look at atwozee's thread on thjis djw .... this may help you see what I was getting at ... :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/182515-hsbc-managed-loan-cca.html#post1968721

Nemo me impune lacessit

Thanks Jonnymitch...hadnt spotted that!

It looks good as there is definitely a discrepancy on my calculator too and it isnt even in our favour unlike those in the thread you mention above (I like the fact that the agreement can be made unenforcable even if the mistake IS in your favour...shame for the banks eh :razz:)

However, a question before I run off and get too excited: my wife rang HSBC earlier this year to reduce payments by half for 3 months as she was struggling with the payments (this was before I knew about the loan

). They agreed to this verbally and she has never received any paperwork about it.....would this have any adverse bearing on the above? (I think the answer should be "no", but need reassurance!!)

Thanks again :D

I wouldn't think so , after all they don't know you've spotted the apparent discrepancy yet .........:rolleyes::)

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're waffling a bit on this to be honest , djw , but I'm not absolutely sure ..... have another look at atwozee's post on here ..... it may clarify it in your mind ... maybe you need to ask them to give you a detailed breakdown ......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/182515-hsbc-managed-loan-cca.html#post1968797

I still think if the figures don't tally ...... it's unenforceable .....

Ah , here we are .... atwozeeagain .....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/190821-hsbc-does-incorrect-unenforceable.html#post2062528

Nemo me impune lacessit

Thanks for the reply Johnny.

Looking at the thread youve quoted, it would seem that my letter is the same as that received by presumeddead (post #41). Unfortunately thats as far as he has got by the looks of it.

Personally, I agree it still seems a bit fishy. They make a big play on the CCA to the fact that the figures quoted assume no change to the interest rate and will therefore change if/when the interest rate changes (as they state on the letter above). But to me, when writing the CCA they use the interest rate in force when the agreement is written so theres still no excuse for getting the figures incorrect even if they are liable to change at a later date due to fluctuations in the IR.

Anybody agree?! Do you think a judge would agree with my reasoning?!

Hi i have an issue going on at the moment with the HSBC regarding my managed loan and the figures not adding up , mine is currently with the FOS am waiting to see what their take is on it. Ill keep an eye on yours and see where they both go !

good luck

Bones x

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/176059-hsbc-charges-managed-loans.html

[email protected]

Morgan & Stanley/ Goldfish / Barclaycard : F & F Offer accepted , appealing Default on CRA's-ongoing:!:

HSBC : Managed Loan .F & F Offer accepted , appealing Default on CRA's-ongoing:!:

Littlewoods: No CCA , PPI INsurance claim. Took to court. Charges refunded. WON :D appealing Default on CRA's- ongoing :|

Bones - very interesting thread! It would seem that you are in a slightly better position as they have actually admitted some wrong doing with your accounts figures.

Ref mine, I was going to send them something along the lines of this:

-----

Thank you for your letter dated 9th October in response to my query over how my managed loan figures were calculated.

Unfortunately your letter does not adequately answer my question.

You state that the interest applied to the Managed Loan is variable and that therefore there is always a discrepancy if you simply add the interest stated on the forms to the total amount of the loan, compared with the monthly payments.

However, the agreement actually quotes an APR “at the date of this agreement”. This should allow you to calculate and quote figures on the agreement that are 100% accurate at the date the agreement is drawn up. This is not the case, as there is a discrepancy in the figures of £72.75.

I look forward to your response etc etc

-----

I am a just a bit concerned that HSBC will say that they dont have to have a 100% accurate CCA as they clearly state that the interest varies.

My argument would be that yes, OK it does vary...but at the time the agreement was written they are quoting actual figures (albeit putting the word "variable" after some of them), so they should use these "at the time the agreement was written" figures to do the calculation, and this should still be 100% accurate on the CCA.

Hope you follow...!! Comments/advice please!!

Hi there , i had to keep pushing them with letters to actually state how there was an error , i played dumb and siad when they were explaining over the phone that it was incorrect i said "could you please send that in wriing so i have got proof that you wont claim the extra that i will owe at the end as your calculations wrong " and they did :D and again the final response that i have recieved again they have admitted a mathmatical error , but are not giving in still .

I am just double checking which is ny right way to proceed now cause i dont think the FOS will do very much .

I rang them and asked them to explain how the error in the intrest affected my figures and how if i calculated them they did not add up , then they proceed in telling you that their is an error and they wont reclaim the rest as actually i was saving £15 odd and should be gratefull lol..... i then just asked her to put in writing what she had told me so in years to come i had proof of what they were saying .

and hey presto they did .......

Might be easier to get them to admit it if they think you are not going to use it against them ...

Hope it goes well

sorry for the rant :)

x

[email protected]

Morgan & Stanley/ Goldfish / Barclaycard : F & F Offer accepted , appealing Default on CRA's-ongoing:!:

HSBC : Managed Loan .F & F Offer accepted , appealing Default on CRA's-ongoing:!:

Littlewoods: No CCA , PPI INsurance claim. Took to court. Charges refunded. WON :D appealing Default on CRA's- ongoing :|

My problem is that it is my wifes loan and she is not very good on the phone, so I doubt whether shed be able to coax an admission out of them.

My thoughts at the minute are to go for the jugular and send them a letter similar to the above adding a reference to Wilson v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] and saying that I consider the loan to be unenforcable etc etc.

Would this be advisable or am I jumping the gun a bit?

I can't see that it would do any harm djw ...... they're playing the silly card and waffling ..... the facts as I see them is that , if the loan is before April 07 , and it is incorrect by even a small amount ... then it is unenforceable ...... I can't see them going to court with it ... because IMHO the court's hands are tied by the law at the time ......

Nemo me impune lacessit