Meter Seal, where do I stand?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi mattler,

This only opinion, although not wise I don't think its an offence (criminal), although the suppler might take civil action they are a suspicious lot.

Why not just explain the problem, by the way what do you mean by "tails"

Andy

I think he means those two thick cables that dangle down underneath but have the company seal on them. No - do not tamper with them, call your supplier straight away. This is one of the signs that a meter might have been bypassed - you don;t want to be accused of that.

I say this because I was almost killed one day in an empty flat with a narrow kitchen, I wondered why the larder door was hanging open, had a look inside - it was being forced open by two thick cables coming from the meter which had been pulled out and then spliced together - I didn;t really take much notice, didn't know then what I was seeing, was just about to shove the cables back into the cupboard when the contractor I was with grabbed me and shoved me out the way - when the revenue guys arrived they confirmed i would have been fried had I touched that cable.

So, no don;t touch it, and get them to come out and see to it.

Yes I was referring to the big cables coming out of the meter.

Eventually after many months of it crackling and having to push it back in, it came out comlpetely so I cut off the seal and tightened the terminal back up with an insulated screwdriver. I`m just concerned that in the future someone will notice it and think I`ve been tampering for my own gains!

Its now a difficult dilemma because if I ring them and explain whats happened its not going to look great from my point of view.

Thing is though their records will show that I`ve been regularly purchasing electricity which surely should be evidence to the fact that I havent been fiddling?

Hi Mattler. You really need to speak to your supplier. Any meter reader who comes to read your meter, will (or should) report missing seals. Tampering is very dangerous & is treated seriously by suppliers. They are actually more concerned about the safety aspect than the abstraction as they rarely prosecute. They certainly don't want a death on their hands though.

If all is as you say, they will see that the meter has been moving, presumably in line with the previous consumption & you should have no problems.

when the meter reader comes by and notices the seal gone, he wont say anything, he'll just make a note and leave like normal and report it back, and you'll find a letter within days of his visit, ring them up explain the sittuation, and just say that the wires were loose and dangerous for the children or something and that you had no choice to fix it. not the truth but these days you got to defend your actions