Expat living in Alberta being called by Recovercorp

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I realise that this may have been tackled already, however I wonder if someone can assist. We've recently suffered a family tragedy which as its an open forum I dont care to divulge, however we are also tackling international debts. I shall explain.

In AUG 2008 we moved to Canada with some UK debt, to skip 8 months of stories, basically over a banking error my flat in the UK which was being rented its service charge was not being paid. I was unaware of this and the first thing I knew about this was when I was informed in April 09 that I had been taken to court for 1400 stg. I also have about 3800 euro in debt from an Irish credit card.

Because the house was in negative equity, and other factors we have decided to go for bankruptcy in the UK.

I am using a third party service for this and the bankruptcy will go ahead in approx 2 weeks time in the UK.

Our mail comes through to us in staggered parcels, and in my last parcel was a letter threatening that in JULY 2009 my c card company may take me to court.

I was advised by the UK bankruptcy service NOT to pay any more debts from June onwards, and use all funds simply to pay the bankruptcy charges.

My cell phone was turned off for two days and today I received a message asking me to urgently call Recovercorp regarding my case.

A google search appears to show this company to be a Ontario based DCA.

However I dont know if they are acting on behalf of the bank or the other ccj owners as I havent been able to speak to them as yet.

My question is as follows, Bankruptcy in the UK covers all debts within the EU member states, therefore surely when we are Bankrupt in UK and Ireland those debts are finished and the CCJ's are not enforceable? Therefore should I tell Recovercorp that basically their debt is useless within 2 weeks as if I was in the UK and told a DCA the same thing.

How does this affect a canadian credit rating?

Thank you

I'm surprised you are going bankrupt whilst living in Canada, for such a small amount. It is unlikely that uk DCA's would waste much time chasing you over there. I am in Spain and they gave up on me for much greater amounts. Even within the EU it is so difficult and costly it's just not worth their while.

I'm surprised you are going bankrupt whilst living in Canada, for such a small amount. It is unlikely that uk DCA's would waste much time chasing you over there. I am in Spain and they gave up on me for much greater amounts. Even within the EU it is so difficult and costly it's just not worth their while.

That was my initial reaction - although we don't know the position in respect of the flat in the UK

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister