LFC v HFC - Help please with CCA / PPI Calc / £5k of Fees and Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All, I would very much appreciate some help with this.

I took out a loan with HFC bank in 2005. I was told at the time I had to take PPI insurance to get the loan, not long after I was made redundant, but could not claim on the PPI due to insufficient time on the policy etc!

Last year I started to get into financial difficulty and I realised after reading an article on the BBC that I may be able to claim the PPI back as they should not have insisted I had to take it out at the time I took out the loan. I issued a CCA request to get the details of the loan and also requested a refund of my PPI, HFC refused.

I wrote to them and said I was taking the matter to the FOS in June 2008, on the same day HFC became aware of this they transferred my account to Reston’s who immediately added a £2,224.25 collection charge and £2,731.72 to the balance meaning in 1 day they added £4,955.97 to my account! There is no way I could pay this and offered £45 per month.

FOS finally got around to my case in May 2009 and they persuaded HFC to refund the PPI but would not provide me with a figure to expect from HFC, instead advising that HFC would work it out for me, FOS where not interested in the additional charges that had been added to my account!

I have now had an offer from HFC for the repayments and I am unsure if this calculation is correct, the loan amount for a start seems to be wrong?

I would be grateful if someone could advise if a) the CCA is enforceable, b) the PPI refund is correctly calculated c) what can I do to get the additional £4955.97 taken off my account? It seems to me HFC have added these charges so I still end up paying the PPI.

Many thanks for your time and efforts to all on this site!

CCA

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc2.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc3.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc4.jpg

RESTONS CHARGES & FEES

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc6.jpg

PPI Settlement offer from HFC

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc5.jpg

that ppi looks resonable to me.

now

dca's CANNOT add charges nor interest so ignore reston's on that.

infact ignore every DCA they have no legal powers and should not be writing letters which say will this & will that.

i'd report them on both counts.

dx

• Haha 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Regarding Restons - they can whistle for what they have added on.

Have you had a default notice issued by HFC and if so can you post it up?

David

Many thanks for your reply much appreciated

yes I received a Default notice on 19th May 2008, stating that on the 8th May I had an outstanding Balance of £13,342.88 yet the HFC statments I recieved later showed a balance of £10,403.66 on the 16th May 2008.

The figures that are being used in all this correspondance seems to differ it is so confusing! thats why I want to know if the PPI refund is correct the FOS refused to tell me what I should get and what effect it has on the balance of the account. I have asked HFC for updated stamenets twice since they sent me the PPI offer (I have not yet accepted their offer) but I have had no response.

DN is here:-

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc7.jpg

Edited by lfcweb
Spulling

that ppi looks resonable to me.

now

dca's CANNOT add charges nor interest so ignore reston's on that.

infact ignore every DCA they have no legal powers and should not be writing letters which say will this & will that.

i'd report them on both counts.

dx

Thanks for your reply, show should I report them too? Are there any examples of letters that I could use for this?

Thanks again for your help much appreciated. I feel like a rabbit in the headlights at the minute!

Eeeeee.

They have cocked up your Default Notice as well.

This does have implications, (very bad for them), if they tried to take you to court. Another point - they have now offered a refund for the mis- sold PPI which exceeds the ammount on the notice, they defaulted you when errrrr.... they owed you money!!!!!

I am not entirely sure of the implications of this last point myself so I have flagged this thread for a moderator to advise on that.

I think you can stop worrying for a bit though.

One last point - on any of the letters you have been sent have they told you they have terminated/ended the agreement?

David

Eeeeee.

They have cocked up your Default Notice as well.

This does have implications, (very bad for them), if they tried to take you to court. Another point - they have now offered a refund for the mis- sold PPI which exceeds the ammount on the notice, they defaulted you when errrrr.... they owed you money!!!!!

I am not entirely sure of the implications of this last point myself so I have flagged this thread for a moderator to advise on that.

I think you can stop worrying for a bit though.

One last point - on any of the letters you have been sent have they told you they have terminated/ended the agreement?

David

Hi thanks for the reply, I checked through the file and they have not specificially written that they have terminated / ended the agreement, although I also found they had sent me another 2 DN's previously on 4th Feb 2008 (recv by me on 13th Feb 2008 ) and 19th dec 2007 (recv by me on 28/12/2007) and on each of the 3 DN's they say that the Termination of the agreement WILL take effect on the date shown unless the total arrears are paid in full, so does this mean the agreement is terminated?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc8.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/lfcweb/hfc9.jpg

I will be asking them again tomorrow for a statment of account so I can see what effect the refund of PPI will do, I am still not certain that the PPI offer they have made is correct though a sthe loan amounts are different from my agreement and from the calculation they have included!

Edited by lfcweb
spelling

Hmmm 3 DN's:

You have received dates - can you prove those dates?

Did you rectify the breach, ie pay them the ammounts demanded on the DN's before it fell due?

David

Not sure what sort of proof I can provide, I wrote on the envelopes the day they arrived and kept the envelopes, unfortunately there is no royal mail stamp with a posting date in fact there is no date at all on the envelopes.

No I didn't pay the arrears demanded on the DN

I was thinking of doing a SAR just in case I missed a termination letter, I did get a letter from Debt Litigation and Recovery Services dated 21st Feb 2008 saying that they received instructions to initiate formal debt collection proceedings which is what they said would happen in point 4b but they never did, as i then issues a CCA request.

Edited by lfcweb
updated reply

I wrote on the envelopes the day they arrived and kept the envelopes, unfortunately there is no royal mail stamp with a posting date in fact there is no date at all on the envelopes.

Excellent.

Time given to rectify arrears on a DN is 14 days + 2 days if it is sent 1st class post. The 2nd & 3rd DN would fail on that, the 1st would have worked but it's not 1st class post so that's duff as well.

Do not bring that to their attention!

I was thinking of doing a SAR

It would be wise to do so.

David

Excellent.

Time given to rectify arrears on a DN is 14 days + 2 days if it is sent 1st class post. The 2nd & 3rd DN would fail on that, the 1st would have worked but it's not 1st class post so that's duff as well.

Do not bring that to their attention!

It would be wise to do so.

David

Many Thanks, SAR has gone off today. That's interesting about the DN, I am looking at my other accounts now to see what the situation is with them. I report back when I have the details from the SAR.

Thanks again for your invaluable help, today has been one of the better days I have had in a long time.

Many Thanks, SAR has gone off today. That's interesting about the DN, I am looking at my other accounts now to see what the situation is with them. I report back when I have the details from the SAR.

Make sure you get all the info from HFC - it's like pulling teeth!!!

On your other DN's, be aware that earlier ones only needed 7 days + service, (off the top of my head thats before December 2006)

and on each of the 3 DN's they say that the Termination of the agreement WILL take effect on the date shown unless the total arrears are paid in full, so does this mean the agreement is terminated?

Looking at that again, IMO there is a case for arguing that is in effect notice of termination. Be nice to dot the I's and cross the T's though.

If you look around Restons threads, you will see they are quite prepared to swear blind that black is in fact, white!

David

David, I saw your reported post but this is beyond my knowledge. Have brought forward the request for further help with the site team. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

David, I saw your reported post but this is beyond my knowledge. Have brought forward the request for further help with the site team. :)

All help gratefully received. Many Thanks