debit collectors - hfc loan 2004 for a computer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

First let me thank you very much for your help in this forum. Here follows my nighmare;

I have debit collection agency chasing me to pay 1000 pounds (which include interest) that was borrowed from halifax for a computer in 2004. Since 2004 the debt has been changed hands between several debt collectors finally ending up with first credit since 5 months I think.

My question is whether the debit collectors go to court for this money? to get me a ccj? I don' t want this to happen ? if they do so, should I pay this money to them? or ignore it?

Please help me I am a student. That money was borrowed by one of my rougue friends by stealing my details and went away to another country. I paid in the begining by knowing that the loan is on my name and if I don't pay I will be dragged into court.

However, I stopped paying that after some time, as I was not in a position to afford it.

Now I again became a student and can no longer afford to pay it.

Please sugget me.

Thank you so much

joy

Edited by abcdef

It is up to the debt collection agency to prove you owe the debt so send them the letter below. Do not speak on the phone to them and keep all the letters you send. If it was your 'friend' using your details then i would also contact the police as it is fraud. Send them the letter below and see what they come back with.

Name/Address:

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Edit the letter to suit your needs, DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER and send it by Recorded or Special Delivery. Do not make anymore payments in the meantime.

Can i just ask which Debt Collection company is chasing you?

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Ha Our Friends In Reigate.

Did You Ever Received A Notice Of Assignment From The Original Creditor.

If Not They Are Acting On Behalf Cant Sue In Their Own Right.

In Layman Terms They Do Not Own The Allged Debt So They Can Swing.

Please Send Last Letter As Advised

Hi lilly white,

Thank you very much for your great advice. I have been receiving these letters since long time now from the past 4 years or so.

And once I sent the letter that was adviced as above. And they send me the agreement letters.

But since then this debt has moved to several different debt collectors and ended up with 1st credit now.

MY questions are 1. should I send the letter that adviced earlier again?

or should I be silent about it and don't do anything? because they have been doing this to me since long time.

can they be able to get ccj against me if I become silent about this?

please advice.

Thank you

Joy

Send the letter and see what they come back with. Depending on what they send we will advise you on what to do next. Don't worry as we are here to help you every step of the way.

• Haha 1
:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool: