• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sarah V Abbey *** WON ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sarah

Without going back all through your thread, sorry I'm a lazy git at heart, did you specify you were estimating a claim and say you would amend it when data was available?

Its a bit late to amend the amount, although in truth you should at least offer especially if the value is less than you put on your claim form.

If its more then you can ask the defence if they object to the amendment and I'm sure they wont, no honestly there is no benefit in them refusing since this will add to their costs so its in their interest that the claim value is correct.

Or you can hold on to the new info and submit a second claim when this ones finished.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my final amount is nearly double the value i put on the claim form.

The brief details of my claim read 'Order under section 7 and 15 (2) of the DPa 1998 (missing data july 2001 - Aug 04) also claim for charges applied to the account between 24th May 2004 - 24th Aug 2006.

i now have the missing data mentioned above. as this is mentioned on my claim should be ok to enclude it... do you think? i dont want to have to start a second claim if this can be avoided.

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

Hi Sarah13,

I think you need to amend your claim to take into account the new amount. As you refer to this in your original claim it should not be a problem. I am not sure of the form you need, so hopefuly someone that does know will reply. Failing that ring the court and explain and I am sure they will put you right. I also think there is a charge of £35 for this. Best wishes.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

Since its mentioned in your orignal POC i would write to the defendant telling them you now have the dat and ask if you can amend the claim by consent.

No 35 to pay then i believe

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

thanks for all the advice glen and bish.

glen, i shall write to them as you advise above, however as my hearing date is 15th Dec and i have to send the court bundle by 2nd dec, what schedule of charges should i include? ammended or unammended? shall i send the ammended one with a copy of the letter i send to abbey? its all rather last notice but i have only recently received the missing ststaemnts. thanks again

i am finally in negiotation with abbey, about time as my court hearing is 15th dec. My orginal claim was for non complience of Data Protection Act for missing data and known charges. I have just been provided with these missing statements and want to incorporate the extra charges into my claim. so i have contacted them- hence the dialogue we are now in. the woman at abbey has asked me to provide the schedules as she is without the files! good start i thought.

my problem is with my schedules- they were the first claim i prepared a schedule for and i think i've done it wrong. i have gone for contractual interest and also added the 8% for the final figure. i am certain its wrong now. i think i can only use one interest rate not both- can you clarify for me. the paperwork is starting to get me down. i have too many claims on the go! any help very greatly received.

Thanks Sarah

Sarah

Don't worry you'll be fine, by asking the question you have shown you have learnt a lot and are on top of things

you can claim

your charges

interest paid on those charges

and as you rightly suggest contractual or sec 69 interest on the whole lot.

HTH

Glenn

PS good luck

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

thanks glen for your good luck wishes- i feel i am goi ng to need it!!! EMailed Christine with my schedules awaiting her call tomorrow. i'll keep u posted

Fortune favours the brave not the lucky.

Be brave

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

ok just rang the court and they are going to send me N244- they said if abbey give permission to ammend the value and poc then it will cost £35 or if they refuse £65. My deadline to get bundle in is actually tues 5th dec so i have a little bit more time than i thought. will drive the bundle up to court on tuesday if necessary. back to waiting......

still not heard from christine even tho promised a call back thurs/ fri so have called again and left message

Hi Sarah13,

I have been dealing with Christine as well and she told me that she was going on holiday from Monday. I am assuming that it is the same Christine from headquarters in London.

Do not assume your claim is incorrect. I was given the same treatment by Christine and found that although the claim had changed due to GOGW, and charges that went back further than 6 years due to the delays applied by abbey. I have revised my schedule of charges and sent it to abbey today. The schedule of charges will change anyway as 8% will be added daily from the point you issue your claim, until it is settled. Hope this helps, just go back over the spreadsheet and look at any points she raised, they may not be what they seem. Remember they have already took this money unlawfuly, are they trying the same trick.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

YES

court bundle is completed at last. Totals 100 pages. Bored of writing pages numbers etc. Heading to court as soon as i pick up my eldest from school. Here i come!!!:)

also received and will be taking N244

after school and all the photocopying, arrived at court at 4.10. The office had closed at 4 and the security guard said they couldnt take my bundle. I was livid and rooted to the spot until the man on switchboard called small claims and someone came and took my bundle. He only took one of the copies even tho i have 3- should i send one to the defendant? will be costly in postage? any ideas?

SETTLED!

Spoke with christine a few times today and eventually we agreed on an acceptable settlement figure. She has sent me an email confirming the details, which i am to sign and send back. i said that i will not cancel the claim with the court until i have received the money and that i cannot accept a cheque (cos the account is frozen) so she is going to make arrangements for the money to be available for me to withdraw at branch. She will confirm this tomorrow.

I am so pleased, altho i wont be cracking the champers until the moneys in my hand. It has been a very very long road but it just goes to prove that if you are prepared to go the whole way you will get a result in the end. Will update as soon as i can. Thanks for everyones help, couldn't have done it without you. x

• Haha 1

Sarah

Well done and congratualtions.

Glenn

PS sorry i wasnt the first!

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

opened negiotations again as arrangements will not be made for me to collect in branch- only a cheque which i cant take so they want me to ask a friend or something to get it paid into their account and they will write the cheque to them. I find it unbelievable and i told christine too, that a BANK cant send money to a branch for collection - isnt money what they do???

Therefore i have changed what i will settle for and have incorporated the inconvienance of having to get someone else to cash the cheque- what a nightmare!

If i dont get a favourable reply tomorrow then i shall sort childcare out to attend court on monday. Half of me really wants to go court and i've done all the preparation. Watch this space, will update as soon as i have news.