Forgot to cancel standing order (rent), can landlord keep it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

First post here, i've been reading up and it seems like a fantastic place for information.

My main concern is that we've just moved out of a flat, and forgot to cancel the standing order for the rent payments, so i've overpaid the landlord by around £800. I cancelled it a week after the rent was paid out.

Firstly, does he have a right to keep the money?

Secondly, I'm pretty sure he moved overseas during the tenancy (and hasn't left contact details), so I don't know how to contact him to even ask for it.

We dealt with the lettings agent for any problems in the flat, as the lettings agent was owned by him and his brother (so mainly dealt with his brother).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can write a letter to his bank asking for mail to be forwarded onto him(so enclose a letter addressed to him in an envelope) with regards to asking for the money back.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Not a bad idea, but what proof would I then have that he received such mails? If i sent recorded delivery, the bank would sign for it, wouldnt they?

I'm worried about him refusing to pay and how I would even get in contact with him to take him to court.

Why not simply hand it to the bank and simply say can they forward this letter on since you are unable to contact him. At the moment you just need a response from him and you have no idea where he is.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Yes of course he does, but getting may prove difficult if he lives abroad.

He must legally provide you with a UK address where he can be contacted during your tenancy. Have you got any depposit back?

You may be able to get alean on property he owns if he wont pay but will have to start court proceedings first. One for the legal eagles.

Yes of course he does, but getting may prove difficult if he lives abroad.

He must legally provide you with a UK address where he can be contacted

For the sake of correctness, an address in England/Wales only.