Credit Hell...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello...

My problem is this:

I suffer from Schizophrenia, and have done since about 1994.

I had several loans outstanding - approx. £25k overall - when my mother passed away in 1999.

In my grief and despair I then walked away from my life/my council home (which I shared with my Mum) and my responsibilities.

I spent several years on the streets, living rough - mostly in a fugue of alcohol, depression and mental fog - moving from city to city, sometimes staying (or rather being forced to stay) in psychiatric hospitals.

Last year, an old ex-army friend discovered me in a state of extreme distress and has been helping me get back on my feet. I'm now taking my medication regularly and my life is slowly edging towards normality.

I re-registered with the War Pensions Department and am now receiving my war pension again - but because of the length of time out of general circulation plus my dismal credit rating that ensued from walking away from my debts - I find it impossible to open a bank account.

I am also now receiving threatening letters from literally dozens of Debt Recovery Agencies (some of them asking for the same monies owed? Are they allowed to do this?)

I am despondent, in that these letters are arriving at my friends home - a person who as shown nothing but kindness and compassion.

I don't want to drag him in to my hell of debt and so I'm considering walking away again so that this won't happen.

Does anyone have any advice?

I'm sorry to hear of your problems but basically a lot of your debts sound as if they would be statute barred now and the DCAs are just trying one last gasp. Do you have a support worker or somebody like that who can sort things out - if I were you I would go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and they can send out letters on your behalf to these sharks.

They cannot send bailiffs to your friends house without a court order and they cannot just turn up on the doorstep demanding you pay XXX in full.

Other people will be along to offer more advice shortly.

Hi you need to tell us what these cretins are chasing you for then we can show you a way forward, if you list the dca's and the alledged debts againbst each we can provide the neccessary letters etc to start the fight back

There is a process (that I don't in all honesty understand fully) whereby creditors are supposed to give people with mental health difficulties special consideration - there is a special form that they use which I think has to be signed by a mental health professional.

Other than the fact that I was told that it was discussed at the IMA conference last week that is about as much as I know about it.

I don't know if any other Caggers know anything else about how it works

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

I think that it's got something to do with the Money Advice Liason Group Mental Health Working Party but that's about all that I know

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister