calling all Mortgage Express customers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Pigland

Thanks for your reply!

Just to let you know, spoke with ME today as I do EVERYDAY. I have been informed that my daily e-mails, faxes and telephone calls have been logged and passed on to the complaints dept. There is also to be a full investigation into my complaints, as the LPA's and managing agents have been holding collected rents back for months totaling in the region of £7500. I have also pointed out that with negligent management they have lost the bank around the region £31,000 in lost rents due to not re-letting properties and uncollected rents. If you want to have a laugh, get this! The agents have e-mailed their colleagues and the LPA's and the bank saying that something needs to be done about me!!! When they informed me that they had changed the locks, I told them that I have just had them changed so that when I am ready to move someone in I will do when I like because I want to clear the arrears and since they have taken over the debt is escalating. I have requested a copy of the deed I signed as on the contract of terms & conditions it says nothing about LPA's. I will let you know how I get on. If anyone wants to contact me directly please feel free to do so 07906 380759

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for posting about MX. I will take these stories as a warning. Currently I have 7 BTL mortgages with MX, and have never had any trouble with them. However, as I have never been in arrears I would not expect to have - everything has just worked smoothly. I will do my utmost not to get into arrears on these mortgages.

Well, I am not BTL. This is my only home and it is partly funded by MX.

My arrears are 0.0083% of my total mortgage. In fact charges on arrears are higher than the arrears.

They applied for possession and have been granted a suspended possession order.

Now, we can scream, shout, plea, beg, cry foul ... we are not going to get anywhere.

Have you heard about the story of 2 cats who find a slice of bread, start fighting and take it to the so called wise monkey. I hope you have, if not drop me a line and I shall enlighten you.

My moment of enlightenment came at the hearing.

We are all cats in a world run by monkeys. So, whether it is the Govt, judiciary or the finance industry or any 'body' appointed by them. I would not count police or army amongst them - they are the fall guys between cats and monkeys. We cannot change this status quo for monkeys need cats and cats need monkeys but they cannot be in direct contact with each other, hence the need to have the fall guys.

We have 2 choices:

1) Cats make peace with the monkeys even if it hurt a little or lot.

2) Cats join forces and make monkeys realise that they need cats as much as cats need monkeys and get them to share the risk equally.

Let me explain:

Currently, the lender does not lose. So, possession is in everyone's BUT borrower's best interest. Hence, it's is applied for lightly and granted by default in less than 5 minutes.

Say, the property is worth 500,000 with a mortgage of 400,000 and possession is granted. Lender sells it for 300,000 and then takes you to cleaners for remaining 100,000 plus whatever charges/arrears you have collected. And, the process ensures that everybody (estate agents, solicitors, judges ...) make money in the process while skinning you alive and all the time making you think that everyone is working in your best interests. And, then they give you a shack paid for by your bretherns. See the analogy!!

A fairer alternative

Again property worth 500,000 funding by lender 75% (So, they own 75% and you own 25%)

2 repayment options

1) you pay interest and you keep the profits and

2) you don't pay interest and when you sell the property (for any reason inc possession) you take 25% of the proceeds.

Do you think there will be many possession applied for?

You know when people said the world is an illusion, I used to ask them to bang their heads against the wall and then tell me if they still think the world is an illusion.

Now, I am convinced that the world is indeed an illusion.

Shanidev, I would tend to disagree with your statement that possession is in everyone's interest but the borrower. I think that in many cases the lender will not manage to recover the whole debt and will end up writing a large chunk off. However I agree with what you are saying in principle.

The sad fact is that you could have 95% equity in your house, and you could still get into arrears on a tiny mortgage and get repossessed.

There is a way to reduce the likelihood of being repossessed, and if you don't mind I will explain it here. Unfortunately it is not advice that is much use to people already in trouble with their mortgage payments.

What I have done is to take out a flexible interest only mortgage. Flexible mortgages have an associated savings pot where the overpayments are stored (out of sight, out of mind) and the money offsets the interest payments on the mortgage. Then instead of paying just the interest I overpay every month so that the amount I pay is roughly the same as if I had a repayment mortgage. Thus I am not paying any more than a repayment mortgage, but I am building up a reserve which as well as eventually paying off the mortgage also provides a contingency fund in case I temporarily hit bad times. The difference between this and a repayment mortgage is that I am in control, not the lender. I can go into arrears with myself, so to speak, without getting repossessed.

Now the catch is that you have to be disciplined about managing the money in the savings pot. It is there to repay the capital, and you must not be tempted to dip into it for a new car or a holiday etc. Remember that this is money you wouldn't even have it you were on a repayment mortgage.

If you do hit a bad patch, perhaps losing your job for a few months, you can borrow some of the fund to make the interest payments on your mortgage. You could have a big contingency fund that would delay any possibility of repossession for a long time. However, again you must be disciplined and repay anything you borrowed (from yourself) as soon as you get back on your feet financially.

Sorry again that this advice doesn't help anyone already in difficulties, but perhaps it would help someone reading this.

• Haha 1

Hi Tembo, I take your point but what I was trying to say was that the borrower will lose for certain as the lender will keep chasing the borrower for losses + interest + charges and 90% of the borrowers will become solvent in time for the lender to recover their monies.

If you know it differently maybe you could tell me how I could walk away from it all and have ME write it all off. Am I missing something.

I got the letter... I was delighted as I have been trying to sell my house as my income has dropped by 60% over the last 18mths. With this in mind I dropped the asking price of the property due to the offer by mortgage express.

I got an offer on the house in early june and accepted it would clear the mortgage and pay the estate agent and solicitor and i would walk out with no money but the weight of the mortgage payments would be off my mind.

I have next to nothing left to buy my children things after the mortgage is paid.

Anyway due to the current climate it has taken the purchasers a while to get the funding in place which they have now... The sale is due to complete in 2 weeks.

BUT:

Mortgage Express wont extend the redemption offer for me. I have offered to get proof the sale was agreed in early June.. I have offered to prove my change in income.. They are not intrested... While I understand it was a limited offer it seems only the rich have been able to take advantage of it..

To add insult to it all they will waive it if i can get a mortgage with another company if i am borrowing and extra £2000 or if i buy another house and get a mortgage with a new company...

The way i understand it is that the tax payer now owns mortgage express and the company no longer lends money. The aim is to settle the loan book and repay the taxpayers...

If I just hand the keys back and leave the house they will no get the full loan paid off, in auction they would probably loose an extra 30k and then they would chase me for the balance... Then i would go bankrupt... would this be better for the taxpayer????

So why wont the help me, I can clear the loan it seems so stupid to me that they will waive if i get a mortgage for an extra £2k with a new lender... which i cant due to my drop in income...

Its a disgrace

Thanks redfish my local mp seems to be in agreement with me and has wrote to the MD of MX/BB. He clearly states thats this approach is not in the taxpayers intrest. I am also speaking to the press and it seems likely it will be in the Sunday Times/Telegraph this weekend. I suppose the MP wants me vote - But the wording in his letter does take my side.

Thanks Guys - Keep you posted

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi peeps i've had no internet access.....

but i'm really pleased at the response & 'sharing is caring' & sanity saving that's been going on (not pleases at people's worries BTW if that came accross wrong!!?)

i'm back in court this morn wiv the loverly MEx but i'll be back later oh & btw i've had a random unasked 4 £600 rebate off them.....??!!

will add details after court

DeH's x

Edited by dehowletts
didn't make sense 1st time

what goes around comes around

EVERY cloud does have a silver lining you just have to look really REALLY hard sometimes..

Hi P

urghhhhh but thanks for asking anyway!!

i've had a yuk realisation today too it's almost a year since all this started so feeling a bit low for me (especially as i like to believe that happiness is a decision we make when we get up in the morning & NOT a state of mind.....)

They're going for a new eviction order :(:rolleyes: so all i can say is 'here we go again...'

Not gonna give up though! Largely due to all the peeps on here :D especially on this thread & CAG's own 'north star' aka Ell-enn

Big love DeH's

EVERY cloud does have a silver lining you just have to look really REALLY hard sometimes..

Thanks redfish my local mp seems to be in agreement with me and has wrote to the MD of MX/BB. He clearly states thats this approach is not in the taxpayers intrest. I am also speaking to the press and it seems likely it will be in the Sunday Times/Telegraph this weekend. I suppose the MP wants me vote - But the wording in his letter does take my side.

Thanks Guys - Keep you posted

love love love love loving this!! :D:grin::-D:D

you go d-boy!!

Shanidev, I would tend to disagree with your statement that possession is in everyone's interest but the borrower. I think that in many cases the lender will not manage to recover the whole debt and will end up writing a large chunk off. However I agree with what you are saying in principle.

Hi S

I do agree with the 1st statement it's in NO-ONE's interest especially if there's -ve equity (I can now explain this further as someone recently explained it 2 me in plain English if you like?)

If u have dependant children you're quite likely eligible for at least 1 of the government help schemes - possibly mortgage rescue.

Can ya post back some circumstance detail & I'll gladly send you some links

DeH's x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, got a suspended order with MX on BTL last month, so breathing a little easier.

We still have another company forcing the issue with LPA receivers, looks like we will have to try to pay them even though its 2.5 times our offer, via our I/E report. We have made a complaint that is being dealt with by the same member of staff and they wont respond until after month end ! They are bullying us into prejudicing other lenders.

We are not happy but from reading some other threads it seems LPA are difficult to deal with.

Have had dealing with Walker Singletons on a couple of properties and arrears on both have over doubled in the course of the last year. After making several complaints both to MEX and WS it was referred to one of the Directors. Having heard nothing for over a month despite several requests I eventually received an email from him asking : What is happening with this property?

Hi Dehowletts, Thank for your offer of help.

I tried to send message a few times but your mailbox was full, so here it is on the forum.

I am still in the $#!"£$. My son is 16 and goes to college, the wife works full time and I get any work that I can. We just about meet our priority bill panic when the phone rings - not so much the DCA but friend relative inviting us/them, wedding, b/days. We are becoming very reclusive now.

Anything support/guidance you can provide would be most appreciated.

Has anybody claimed the fees back from Mortgage Express yet?

Unpaid dd fees £30.00

Arrears admin fees £35.00

Arrears legal costs £130+ (depending on day of week)

All plus interest:

Is there any I've missed?

The Financial Services Authority declared that such charges are unfair and highly excessive. The basis of such findings are based on the same lines as unfair bank or credit card default charges which the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has concluded are legally unfair in terms of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations. In other words, a charge will not be fair if it exceeds a lender’s actual administrative costs. it is possible to claim back mortgage penalties going as far back as 12 years. (as opposed to 6years on bank charges)

Are these charges responsible for the account going into arrears?

Have you put the account in dispute?

Have you checked to make sure that Mortgage Express has charged you the right interest? How much is your LTV? It may be linked!

Is your portfolio your pension portfolio?

Q. Does anyone know about assignment to an LPA?

Must confirmation be sent by personal delivery or is normal post sufficient? Does anyone know if this relevant to s196 of the LPA 1925?

Edited by pigland

Pigs do Fly!

My GMAC mortgage was transferred to them in March 2008 I just got a letter saying the new account number is we will still take your DD as normal. I have had an issue with them regarding what I think the standard variable rate should be and they are shoving their terms and conditions at me. As I only ever agreed to GMAC terms and conditions do I have to accept Mortgage Express T&Cs ?

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm new here but I have a problem with the interest rate I'm being charged by MX as a Gmac customer I was told when my fixed rate finished in June I would go to MX standard varible rate about 2.75 ish, but for some reason I've been put on what they call a default rate of 4.80 because I was a GMAC customer but I was welcomed to MX and have been paying them ever since, anybody know aything about this.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi

I'm new here but I have a problem with the interest rate I'm being charged by MX as a Gmac customer I was told when my fixed rate finished in June I would go to MX standard varible rate about 2.75 ish, but for some reason I've been put on what they call a default rate of 4.80 because I was a GMAC customer but I was welcomed to MX and have been paying them ever since, anybody know aything about this.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob

Ditto my mortgage was sold to MX by GMAC too & I've just checked my mortgage rate with them and after a right saga with them over LOADS of things I'm now on 2.45% & interest only which has effectively made my payments a 1/4 of what they were (not just due to the rate cut the bulk of my mortgage was on repayment)......I don't know if this info helps you or not!?

I have got an ongoing complaint with the FOS with them too about other 'frustrations' (is the polite word) as i can't really type what I want to say, if ya want more info pm me & i'll reply

Cheers DeH's x

Hi dehowletts, thank God you are back.. wondered where you disappeared off to.. hope your mailbox is emptied out now ,, treid to send mail to you but it would not go through 'cos your mbox was full. What is this with GMAC. Mine was with GMAC as well. Last year my reduced interest mortgage (for the first 3 years) expired and MX offered 5 year reduced rate which I signed. Anything I can say/do on account of having been with GMAC originally? Just wondered. I will try sending the mail through to you again.

Hi Shanidev

Yep I've emptied my mailbox I didn't even realise it was full sorry!! Resend it & I'll reply k? Hope you're ok?

DeH's x

Hi,

New to the site and wondered how you went by convincing MX to reduce your interest rate. My house is being repossed - first court date on the 17th Dec due to arrears. I'm currently on a 6.29% int rate which is fixed term and due to exp early 2011. I may be able to save the house if i can get the interest reduced. The house is currently in -ve equity so if figure this would be in their best interest.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Rob

Ditto my mortgage was sold to MX by GMAC too & I've just checked my mortgage rate with them and after a right saga with them over LOADS of things I'm now on 2.45% & interest only which has effectively made my payments a 1/4 of what they were (not just due to the rate cut the bulk of my mortgage was on repayment)......I don't know if this info helps you or not!?

I have got an ongoing complaint with the FOS with them too about other 'frustrations' (is the polite word) as i can't really type what I want to say, if ya want more info pm me & i'll reply

Cheers DeH's x

Hmmm

I'm (obviously) not a professional - i.e. these are just my thoughts & I'm only applying logic.....

• -ve equity & reposession as I understand it basically would mean that both you and the MEx would lose money so hopefully should be a last resort (in addition to the various government backed schemes stating this)

• MEx's 'normal' interest rate (base rate tracker) I believe is 2.45% at the mo & you're currently paying 6.29% so as a starting point could you not request that amount owed due to the interest rate difference of 3.84% be spread over a longer agreed period of time (you'd need to number crunch this so as not to set yourself up to fail)

• again this may be stating the obvious (& I don't know what stage you're at) but are you making a record yourself of all conversations & proposals to date with contact spoken to with the date & time because my experience with them is you really should because their records are 'sketchy' to use the polite word & you may need this as a later date.

• you haven't mentioned your personal circumstances at all (this would help) i.e. are you married or single? with or without dependant children? working or unemployed? etc because rather than just give you a list of websites I & other peeps on here can point you in the right direction or better (at least in the case of the more knowledgeable peeps on here!!)

I hope this helps in the short term?? :?:

Dunno who is still subscribed to this thread & reading this....?? but i know you're there somewhere!! So when ya do pick up this thread your input is most welcomed puuuuuuuuuuuuurlease!!

big love DeH's xxxx

Thanks for the response DeH's,

I guess to give a more accurate account of my situation-

• I'm single and have been out of work due to restructuring since July. Since then I have been making part payments on my mortgage (Int only).
  • My current arrears stand at £5598.28
  • The visit from the mortage companies debt advisor (who cost me £100) was she would try and see if my interest rate could be reduced from 6.29% to the variable rate to reduce payments. I also suggested being given permission to rent the place out as another alternative. Both of these avenues where declined by the lender so needless to say her efforts came to nothing. I am still to see a copy of the report that was submitted.
  • I now have a court date in a few weeks time and was hoping to get advice on how i can pursue both the above lines to help me keep my house. I've had estate agents come to give rental valuations with 3 stating i should achieve between £750-£800. My interest payments are currently £1015. I would then definitely be able to add to cover the difference.
  • The alternative would be to look to get a review on my interest rate and get this changed to the variable rate which would bring my payments well within reach even with the help i'm receiving from family. I think payment would come to approx £500.
  • Is there a way of me arguing that the 6.29% is unfair based in the current market that we are in. I'm still tied to this rate for another 2 years (ouch!) which hurts.
  • I've also taken a look at the lenders site and can't really find info that i think would be useful to me.

I did however manage to rent out my second room (behind the lenders back) which has obviously been giving me the little income that I use to make part payments.

I would really appreciate any assistance on how i can prepare my defense to avoid repossession. A I&E statement has previously been sent to the lender and this had no income showing on it.

Not too sure how to best approach this.

Hi Gee gee

gonna request some help 4 ya from someone who knows lots more than me k??

DeH's