You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

GamekeeperToPoacher

Response to TV licencing query

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4008 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

:smile:Hi all,

This is probably not the correct placer to post but I suppose that TV licensing consider themselves to be debt collectors so I hope that it might amuse.

My response to latest epistle from TV licensing:

GameKeeper

The Kennels,

Nottingham

NG1 NG1

17th July 2009

To: TV Licensing

Bristol

BS98 1TL.

Dear Sir/Madam,

In response to your recent letter dated 13th July 2009 ref: XXXXXXXXXX: I visited the website as recommended to confirm my belief that I do not require a TV licence.

As can be seen below:

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console. I use my TV as described here. I do NOT use it to receive or watch any TV which is live or ‘nearly live’ – an undefined concept. As a matter of fact I never watch any programme unless at least 24 hours has passed since broadcasting.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

I am concerned about this paragraph as:

1 It demands that I write to you to inform you of my lack of need for a licence but does not appear to offer an email contact address which clearly puts me to both inconvenience and expense. Incidentally I note that your telephone contact numbers are all 08** numbers which, for the majority of telephone consumers will incur a cost.

2 It says that one of your enforcement officers may visit me to confirm that I do not require a licence. In order to prevent wasted costs I am happy to accept such confirmation by mail. However I fail to see how a visit from anyone can confirm a negative. I do have a TV and a video BUT do not use it to receive a signal and hence do not require a licence. My reasons for not having a licence are that I cannot afford one and so I have decided to forgo live TV in order to make the saving. As a matter of fact I am also a keen angler and have several hundred pounds value of angling equipment in my property but also no longer fish as I cannot afford the licence and Severn Trent have neither demanded that I write to confirm my non fishing status nor offered to visit my home to confirm such a status. Needless to say should anyone decide to visit they will not be given access unless they are armed with an appropriate warrant which will be contested most strongly.

In conclusion I would confirm that in the remote possibility that I decide to return to the TV watching fold you will be notified by my purchase of a licence

Top of Form

Did I manage to answer the question to your satisfaction?

yes no

Bottom of Form

I hope that this will conclude the matter.

Yours Sincerely,

Game Keeper

Very witty. There are some valid points in your letter thought.

Especially the analogy with your fishing licence.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Good for you, GamekeeperTo Poacher, that's an excellent letter.

I just checked your link out lickthewallfatboy and I agree. Quite an eyeopener. If anyone can tell me what the difference is between TV Licensing and any old scavenging DCA, then put your answers on a postcard please:D

when my old home was earmarked for demolition I moved my licence to a new house, and got the mail forwarded. I told the licence people that no one would be moving into my old home. They where getting very nasty about there being no TV licence at a derilict flat due for demolition, threatening all sorts to the ocupier, bet the local rat population where bricking it, especially whent he police started using the buildings for firearms practice.

I've got some pink pig post cards from MBNA. Will they be ok?

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Subbing....I bloody hate for paying for TV which is Cr@p

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I would love to know what TV licensing would do with this NO TV of any type but use computer to watch live streamed tv. This is not the situation in my home but could easily happen for someone. I use ****** to watch or record tv when the boss is watching some other rubbish.

I have blanked out the website name as would be classed as advertising.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

:smile:Hi all,

This is probably not the correct placer to post but I suppose that TV licensing consider themselves to be debt collectors so I hope that it might amuse.

My response to latest epistle from TV licensing:

GameKeeper

The Kennels,

Nottingham

NG1 NG1

17th July 2009

To: TV Licensing

Bristol

BS98 1TL.

Dear Sir/Madam,

In response to your recent letter dated 13th July 2009 ref: XXXXXXXXXX: I visited the website as recommended to confirm my belief that I do not require a TV licence.

As can be seen below:

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console. I use my TV as described here. I do NOT use it to receive or watch any TV which is live or ‘nearly live’ – an undefined concept. As a matter of fact I never watch any programme unless at least 24 hours has passed since broadcasting.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

I am concerned about this paragraph as:

1 It demands that I write to you to inform you of my lack of need for a licence but does not appear to offer an email contact address which clearly puts me to both inconvenience and expense. Incidentally I note that your telephone contact numbers are all 08** numbers which, for the majority of telephone consumers will incur a cost.

2 It says that one of your enforcement officers may visit me to confirm that I do not require a licence. In order to prevent wasted costs I am happy to accept such confirmation by mail. However I fail to see how a visit from anyone can confirm a negative. I do have a TV and a video BUT do not use it to receive a signal and hence do not require a licence. My reasons for not having a licence are that I cannot afford one and so I have decided to forgo live TV in order to make the saving. As a matter of fact I am also a keen angler and have several hundred pounds value of angling equipment in my property but also no longer fish as I cannot afford the licence and Severn Trent have neither demanded that I write to confirm my non fishing status nor offered to visit my home to confirm such a status. Needless to say should anyone decide to visit they will not be given access unless they are armed with an appropriate warrant which will be contested most strongly.

In conclusion I would confirm that in the remote possibility that I decide to return to the TV watching fold you will be notified by my purchase of a licence

Top of Form

Did I manage to answer the question to your satisfaction?

yes no

Bottom of Form

I hope that this will conclude the matter.

Yours Sincerely,

Game Keeper

Very good, as technology changes the whole tv licence situation gets more and more confusing, the tv licence site has always been deliberatly confusing and most people who read it dont come away with a clear answer.

I own a tv which is connected to a pc running windows media center and a brilliant 3rd party plugin called mcetunerfree, this brings together all the available 'catch-up' services into one easy to use GUI, iplayer, itv, 4od, etc.

If for example I click on bbc and click on the live stream button I technically need a licence because Im watching 'live' or 'nearly live' tv, but if I click on one of the catch up programs then i dont need a licence, even if the catch up program is a few minutes old.

Now there is no aerial connection, all the tv is streamed over the net, now you ask, how would anyone ever know wether you watch live tv or catch up tv, the answer is ..they wouldnt ! :)

As you point out..there is no definition of nearly live, whereas analouge tv is delivered in real time, there is a delay on freeview and even more on sky and cable, you could argue that you are not watching live tv.

I find the endless stream of threatening letters from tv licensing rather amusing but have no intention of wasting money by replying to them.

Andy

Don't get me started on these greedy, aggressive, impertinent, *&^%$£. I got rid of my TV some time ago when I realised I hadn't turned it on for months yet I was still paying a DD to them effectively for nothing. I even removed the aerial.

I telephoned them straight way, explained I no longer had a TV, cancelled the DD and claimed a refund for the portion of the license fee which they force you to pay in advance.

I thought that was the end of the matter but as anyone who has ever been in this situation knows it just unleashes an apparently unending succession of threatening letters worded to frighten you into paying money which they have no right to demand in the worst DCA style.

They effectively label you a liar.

I eventually managed to prise some minimal compensation from them for all their letters and my subsequent phone costs in response (‘yes that’s sorted out now Ms ££££ you won’t be hearing from us again’… liar!!)

Another fright letter arrived a week later..... And then some weeks after that a man called at my house wanting to check if I had a TV, needless to say he did not gain access... I seldom use language like that; he wrote no TV on his clip board and made off.

The harassment, for that is what it is, has now stopped.

I understand it is likely to start up again in year or two.

Edited by zazen.warrior

Don't get me started on these greedy, aggressive, impertinent, *&^%$£. I got rid of my TV some time ago when I realised I hadn't turned it on for months yet I was still paying a DD to them effectively for nothing. I even removed the aerial.

I telephoned them straight way, explained I no longer had a TV, cancelled the DD and claimed a refund for the portion of the license fee which they force you to pay in advance.

I thought that was the end of the matter but as anyone who has ever been in this situation knows it just unleashes an apparently unending succession of threatening letters worded to frighten you into paying money which they have no right to demand in the worst DCA style.

They effectively label you a liar.

I eventually managed to prise some minimal compensation from them for all their letters and my subsequent phone costs in response (‘yes that’s sorted out now Ms ££££ you won’t be hearing from us again’… liar!!)

Another fright letter arrived a week later..... And then some weeks after that a man called at my house wanting to check if I had a TV, needless to say he did not gain access... I seldom use language like that; he wrote no TV on his clip board and made off.

The harassment, for that is what it is, has now stopped.

I understand it is likely to start up again in year or two.

To be fair though, TV Licensing do claim that the majority of people who do claim they dont need a licence are in fact lying..ha..so its no real suprise that they carry on hassling peo[ple, the best bet is just to ignore their letters..save your postage !

To be fair though, TV Licensing do claim that the majority of people who do claim they dont need a licence are in fact lying..ha..so its no real suprise that they carry on hassling peo[ple, the best bet is just to ignore their letters..save your postage !

If I ever hear from them again they will be blanked, but it’s easy to be wise after the event, at the time I thought a quick phone call would sort it out. I know better now.