• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA SAR response - is CCA enforceable please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finally received an SAR response from MBNA (no s78 response yet though).

Here is the copy CCA they sent - 2 separate pages with nothing to actually link them as 2 sides of the same document. Agreement dates back to 1996.

2qks17a.jpg

fn8ioi.jpg

Is the agreement enforceable?

Thanks

C

Thanks Vint

I think its just that the copy wasn't fully centred so the right hand side is slightly cropped.

Does anyone have an opinion if MBNA CCAs from the mid 90's generally were enforceable?

Looks like an application from 1996.

It is legible, so may be enforcable.

Enforceablility : There is an issue of legibility so very likely not

However, would be enforceable if a legible document were to be produced because - There is a signature on Page 1 and Prescribed terms on Page 2

th_SB001-1996.jpg

th_SB003TCs-1996.jpg

Comments : These documents are very difficult to read and were supplied to the owner in this form.

Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557)

Quote:

1 Citation, commencement and interpretation

(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)

Regulations 1983 and shall come into operation on 19th May 1985.

(2) In these Regulations--

"the Act" means the Consumer Credit Act 1974;

"Agreements Regulations" means the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 and any reference to any

provision of those Regulations includes in the case of modifying agreements which are, or are treated as, regulated

agreements a reference to Regulation 7 of, and the appropriate paragraph of Schedule 8 to, those Regulations;

"cancellable agreement" includes an agreement which is a modifying agreement treated under section 82(5) of the Act

as a cancellable agreement; and

"lettering" includes figures and symbols.

UK Parliament SIs 1980-1989/1983/1551-1600/Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)

Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557)/2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily distinguishable from the .

(2) The wording of any Form prescribed by these Regulations shall be reproduced in copies of unexecuted or executed agreements or in Notices of Cancellation Rights sent [by an appropriate method] under section 64(1)(b) or (2) of the Act without any alteration or addition, except that -

(a) the creditor or owner may enter the name and address of the debtor or hirer in any Cancellation Form prescribed by these Regulations; and

(b) every Form shall be completed in accordance with any footnote.

(3) Any such footnote shall not be treated as part of any Form prescribed by these Regulations and may be reproduced in addition to any such Form.

(4) Where any such footnote requires any words to be omitted, those words shall be omitted or deleted.

Thus, if you cannot read what they have sent, then they have not complied with your Request. If the Card Agreements are still current, then this means they are constrained from taking any Enforcement action because of s78(6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Again, thanks vint1964. YEs, the example you show is pretty much the same as mine and are from the same year. However, i still think there is no clear connection between the terms & conditions page anf the application page. The terms & conditions seem to be extracted from a different application document as I can't see why the previous address question would be presented as it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, this form was received in response to a SAR request - I am still waiing for the s78 CCA response.

Thanks again

C

Edited by cadwallader

Again, thanks vint1964. YEs, the example you show is pretty much the same as mine and are from the same year. However, i still think there is no clear connection between the terms & conditions page anf the application page. The terms & conditions seem to be extracted from a different application document as I can't see why the previous address question would be presented as it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, this form was received in response to a SAR request - I am still waiing for the s78 CCA response.

Thanks again

C

Yes, they are probably 2 documents. The likelyhood is that they only have the front on microfich.

They would need to produce one document in court, the origonal.

You could write back to them informing MBNA that the document sent is not complient as it is in 2 parts with no references on P1 to P2.

If they have threatened any form of court action, request a copy under CPR 31.16. This has to be the document that they will bring to court.

Again, thanks for your comments vint. I'm sure they have threatened court action as a possibility and I will check when I get home. It's good to know you also think it possible the 2 pages they sent may not both be part of the same document.

C

• 1 month later...

Have today received a default notice from MBNA. Looks like they have got the date for remedy right. Can anyone see any defects? What about the fact that they are demanding full repayment of the loan and not the arrears amount?

o8f6mp.jpg

Thanks

C

I believe thats an incorrect default notice. They have to give you the option to clear your missed payments / overlimit amount to remedy the excess not just pay the full amount.

Agree.

Mbna usually try and argue that because their current terms and conditions allow this they can do this.

Err... the Consumer Credit Act which overides whatever they put in their contract say's they can't

David

Just looked at your CCA.

Only my opinion but...

As you ticked the box for PPI you should have separate prescribed terms for that as it then becomes a multiple credit agreement.

PPI was possibly missold as well so you possibly have 14 years worth of payments to reclaim at their contractual rate of interest which might well add up to a considerable sum.

Several threads on the forum about this especially from noomill060 and pompeyfaith.

They should allow you time to remedy the default, that is missing payments. Requesting the full ballance in a DN, is wrong as this is also termination. Their T&C's cannot overule an act of parliament.

The dates are ok if they sent it first class, if they sent it second class, they are a day out

Thanks for the comments.

Middenmess, I actually ticked the no box for PPI. You had me hopeful there for a moment:)

With regards to demanding the full balance outstanding I seem to remember a discussion in a thread about this but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it please?

I've been looking at the CCA 1974 and am a bit confused as to which section specifically says/implies they should ask for outstanding arrears rather than full balance?

Thanks again

C

Don't suppose you've kept the envelope have you ?

If you have, keep it safe...if you haven't go and look for it.

Normally, the Default Notices from MBNA arrive in a UKMail envelope with an S postmark.

Have areda of this link for info on defective Default Notices - B_R_W's post on DN's

Thanks for the comments.

Middenmess, I actually ticked the no box for PPI. You had me hopeful there for a moment:)

C

No reason not to be hopeful--doesn't matter that you ticked the box--read threads by noomill060 and pompeyfaith or read noomill060 wrote on my thread at post 34

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/209989-gobsmacked-ease-getting-charges.html

and then look at..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/211244-25-days-late-3-a.html

where noomill060 comes in at post 14.

Read up about multiple agreements as well.

Thanks supasnooper

I do have the envelope (at home) and it came via UKMAil but I'm not sure about the S postmark.

Interesting post from banker rhymes which you gave the link to. BRW & vint are obviously in accord that this particular Default Notice effectively terminates the agreement. Just wondering if anyone knows if this has been tested in court (not doubting it but with a possibly enforeable CCA am just a little nervous about letting this one run its' course)

Many thanks to all for the help

Edited by cadwallader

Don't suppose you've kept the envelope have you ?

If you have, keep it safe...if you haven't go and look for it.

Normally, the Default Notices from MBNA arrive in a UKMail envelope with an S postmark.

Have areda of this link for info on defective Default Notices - B_R_W's post on DN's

Hi supasnooper. Is s second class?

Thanks for the comments.

With regards to demanding the full balance outstanding I seem to remember a discussion in a thread about this but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it please?

I've been looking at the CCA 1974 and am a bit confused as to which section specifically says/implies they should ask for outstanding arrears rather than full balance?

Thanks again

C

My understanding is that they must issue a DN, claiming the arrears first, giving 14 clear days from service to rectify the breach. By demanding the ballance in full, within the DN,you are not able to rectify the breach, meaning arrears on the account. So from the copious ammounts that I have read, the DN seems faulty.

Another point - as the DN from MBNA effectively terminates the account and they have forfeited the right to collect future due payments and can only collect arrears (which are not detailed in the DN) and as the account has, in my view, been in dispute since early May because of non-compliance with my s78 request, does that mean that the arrears I have to pay would be those due as at the date of dispute? (Always assuming the CCA is enforceable).

Thanks

C