You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• dx100uk - thank you for your advice.  I will send a SAR to Vanquis and really appreciate all the help on here.   I may have read your last sentence in the way that it was not intended but it has came across very judgmental and not helpful.  I have came on this site for some help, not to be judged.  If that was not your intention then I apologise as I realise text can be read in the way it was not intended.  
    • . I'm sorry but this is not correct. There is a very long established rule that you are required to exercise utmost good faith (uberrima fides) when becoming a party to any kind of insurance contract. This means that you have quite a strict duty to accept responsibility for disclosing any information which a reasonable person in your position might understand could materially affect the risk. I can imagine that the interpretation of this rule would not be applied quite so strictly to a very new and young driver – but the more that one has been driving and the more insurance policies one has held, then I think that the stricter  this rule becomes. It is also well established that one can misrepresent something simply by withholding information – by silence. I'm sorry to say that I think that this rule and the value of it is so self-evident that it is scarcely worth discussing. I wouldn't start raising this issue if I were you with insurers or the courts because you will come away with a bloody nose and loss of credibility
    • @unclebulgaria67 your point is particularly valid especially in regards to loss in the event of a claim. Irrespective of 2x SP30’s or not the vehicle is insured for its full market value. The insurers rating changes based on risk against those endorsements, where said risk calculation isn’t made available.    Also I question the validation of 22% in premium. Is that based on today’s risk profiling, or is that applied retrospectively to day 1 and can that be evidenced.    One thing that is very clear, is that to bring about any degree of misrepresentation the insurer has to have evidence that questions were asked in regards to the endorsements.   This was an auto renewal and when I’ve checked the Brokers electronic Copy on “My Policy’ at renewal, there is no section included relative to accidents in the last 5 yrs or Motoring convictions. Everything else relative to me and the named driver is listed. 
    • Here is what exposes Johnson & Co Commission document, makes for sober reading   Wonder if Snake Oil Singham has read and digested it?   https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/com_2020_324_2_communication_from_commission_to_inst_en_0.pdf
    • Must be a positive if the Insurers are now using the legislation as it was intended. It is just that I have not heard of it being used for Car Insurance, as the 22% comes from the Insurers rating calculations, which is not available information to the Policyholder. With Home Insurance, if you Insured a Building for £100k, when it should have been Insured for £122k, it is easier to grasp.   The Insurers would have issued the policy documents clearly showing that no motoring offences had been included within the premium calculation and the OP has had 5 months to correct the record with Insurers before the accident.   Perhaps probe the Insurers on the 22%. Can they provide evidence from their Underwriting rating guidance that this is the extra premium for 2 SP30's.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
cadwallader

MBNA SAR response - is CCA enforceable please?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3935 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Finally received an SAR response from MBNA (no s78 response yet though).

Here is the copy CCA they sent - 2 separate pages with nothing to actually link them as 2 sides of the same document. Agreement dates back to 1996.

2qks17a.jpg

fn8ioi.jpg

Is the agreement enforceable?

Thanks

C

They would have to produce one document in court. The right hand side of the T&C's seems to be missing?

Thanks Vint

I think its just that the copy wasn't fully centred so the right hand side is slightly cropped.

Does anyone have an opinion if MBNA CCAs from the mid 90's generally were enforceable?

Any thoughts? The second page does not sem to follow logically from the first i.e. the question about previous address details for past 3 years.

Thanks

C

Looks like an application from 1996.

It is legible, so may be enforcable.

Enforceablility : There is an issue of legibility so very likely not

However, would be enforceable if a legible document were to be produced because - There is a signature on Page 1 and Prescribed terms on Page 2

th_SB001-1996.jpg

th_SB003TCs-1996.jpg

Comments : These documents are very difficult to read and were supplied to the owner in this form.

Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557)

Quote:

1 Citation, commencement and interpretation

(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)

Regulations 1983 and shall come into operation on 19th May 1985.

(2) In these Regulations--

"the Act" means the Consumer Credit Act 1974;

"Agreements Regulations" means the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 and any reference to any

provision of those Regulations includes in the case of modifying agreements which are, or are treated as, regulated

agreements a reference to Regulation 7 of, and the appropriate paragraph of Schedule 8 to, those Regulations;

"cancellable agreement" includes an agreement which is a modifying agreement treated under section 82(5) of the Act

as a cancellable agreement; and

"lettering" includes figures and symbols.

UK Parliament SIs 1980-1989/1983/1551-1600/Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)

Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557)/2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily distinguishable from the .

(2) The wording of any Form prescribed by these Regulations shall be reproduced in copies of unexecuted or executed agreements or in Notices of Cancellation Rights sent [by an appropriate method] under section 64(1)(b) or (2) of the Act without any alteration or addition, except that -

(a) the creditor or owner may enter the name and address of the debtor or hirer in any Cancellation Form prescribed by these Regulations; and

(b) every Form shall be completed in accordance with any footnote.

(3) Any such footnote shall not be treated as part of any Form prescribed by these Regulations and may be reproduced in addition to any such Form.

(4) Where any such footnote requires any words to be omitted, those words shall be omitted or deleted.

Thus, if you cannot read what they have sent, then they have not complied with your Request. If the Card Agreements are still current, then this means they are constrained from taking any Enforcement action because of s78(6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Again, thanks vint1964. YEs, the example you show is pretty much the same as mine and are from the same year. However, i still think there is no clear connection between the terms & conditions page anf the application page. The terms & conditions seem to be extracted from a different application document as I can't see why the previous address question would be presented as it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, this form was received in response to a SAR request - I am still waiing for the s78 CCA response.

Thanks again

C

Edited by cadwallader

Again, thanks vint1964. YEs, the example you show is pretty much the same as mine and are from the same year. However, i still think there is no clear connection between the terms & conditions page anf the application page. The terms & conditions seem to be extracted from a different application document as I can't see why the previous address question would be presented as it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, this form was received in response to a SAR request - I am still waiing for the s78 CCA response.

Thanks again

C

Yes, they are probably 2 documents. The likelyhood is that they only have the front on microfich.

They would need to produce one document in court, the origonal.

You could write back to them informing MBNA that the document sent is not complient as it is in 2 parts with no references on P1 to P2.

If they have threatened any form of court action, request a copy under CPR 31.16. This has to be the document that they will bring to court.

Again, thanks for your comments vint. I'm sure they have threatened court action as a possibility and I will check when I get home. It's good to know you also think it possible the 2 pages they sent may not both be part of the same document.

C

Have today received a default notice from MBNA. Looks like they have got the date for remedy right. Can anyone see any defects? What about the fact that they are demanding full repayment of the loan and not the arrears amount?

o8f6mp.jpg

Thanks

C

I believe thats an incorrect default notice. They have to give you the option to clear your missed payments / overlimit amount to remedy the excess not just pay the full amount.

I believe thats an incorrect default notice. They have to give you the option to clear your missed payments / overlimit amount to remedy the excess not just pay the full amount.

Agree.

Mbna usually try and argue that because their current terms and conditions allow this they can do this.

Err... the Consumer Credit Act which overides whatever they put in their contract say's they can't

David

Just looked at your CCA.

Only my opinion but...

As you ticked the box for PPI you should have separate prescribed terms for that as it then becomes a multiple credit agreement.

PPI was possibly missold as well so you possibly have 14 years worth of payments to reclaim at their contractual rate of interest which might well add up to a considerable sum.

Several threads on the forum about this especially from noomill060 and pompeyfaith.

They should allow you time to remedy the default, that is missing payments. Requesting the full ballance in a DN, is wrong as this is also termination. Their T&C's cannot overule an act of parliament.

The dates are ok if they sent it first class, if they sent it second class, they are a day out

Thanks for the comments.

Middenmess, I actually ticked the no box for PPI. You had me hopeful there for a moment:)

With regards to demanding the full balance outstanding I seem to remember a discussion in a thread about this but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it please?

I've been looking at the CCA 1974 and am a bit confused as to which section specifically says/implies they should ask for outstanding arrears rather than full balance?

Thanks again

C

Don't suppose you've kept the envelope have you ?

If you have, keep it safe...if you haven't go and look for it.

Normally, the Default Notices from MBNA arrive in a UKMail envelope with an S postmark.

Have areda of this link for info on defective Default Notices - B_R_W's post on DN's

Help us to keep on helping.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums.

This site is run solely on donations.

You can make a donation

HERE. Thank you.

Any advice & opinions given by supasnooper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the comments.

Middenmess, I actually ticked the no box for PPI. You had me hopeful there for a moment:)

C

No reason not to be hopeful--doesn't matter that you ticked the box--read threads by noomill060 and pompeyfaith or read noomill060 wrote on my thread at post 34

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/209989-gobsmacked-ease-getting-charges.html

and then look at..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/211244-25-days-late-3-a.html

where noomill060 comes in at post 14.

Read up about multiple agreements as well.

Thanks supasnooper

I do have the envelope (at home) and it came via UKMAil but I'm not sure about the S postmark.

Interesting post from banker rhymes which you gave the link to. BRW & vint are obviously in accord that this particular Default Notice effectively terminates the agreement. Just wondering if anyone knows if this has been tested in court (not doubting it but with a possibly enforeable CCA am just a little nervous about letting this one run its' course)

Many thanks to all for the help

Edited by cadwallader

Hi middenmess

Sorry if I have inadvertantly confused things - I'm not being charged for PPI on this card.

C

Hi middenmess

Sorry if I have inadvertantly confused things - I'm not being charged for PPI on this card.

C

My mistake--brain,eyes and typing finger not working together-LOL!

Don't suppose you've kept the envelope have you ?

If you have, keep it safe...if you haven't go and look for it.

Normally, the Default Notices from MBNA arrive in a UKMail envelope with an S postmark.

Have areda of this link for info on defective Default Notices - B_R_W's post on DN's

Hi supasnooper. Is s second class?

Thanks for the comments.

With regards to demanding the full balance outstanding I seem to remember a discussion in a thread about this but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it please?

I've been looking at the CCA 1974 and am a bit confused as to which section specifically says/implies they should ask for outstanding arrears rather than full balance?

Thanks again

C

My understanding is that they must issue a DN, claiming the arrears first, giving 14 clear days from service to rectify the breach. By demanding the ballance in full, within the DN,you are not able to rectify the breach, meaning arrears on the account. So from the copious ammounts that I have read, the DN seems faulty.

Vint

Thanks for the reassurance and further explanation

C

Another point - as the DN from MBNA effectively terminates the account and they have forfeited the right to collect future due payments and can only collect arrears (which are not detailed in the DN) and as the account has, in my view, been in dispute since early May because of non-compliance with my s78 request, does that mean that the arrears I have to pay would be those due as at the date of dispute? (Always assuming the CCA is enforceable).

Thanks

C