Semi-abandoned Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Here's the story. We live in one of those housing developments which have allocated parking for each house & a visitors space. One of the residents has just picked up a new car, so she has decided to park her old car in the visitors' space. It has now been there 6 weeks & the tax expired at the end of June.

When I saw her the other day I asked if she was planning to move or sell the car, to which she responded that she intended to leave it there and it was basically everyone else's problem.

So here's the thing. As the car is very close to her property & in good condition it doesn't seem to fit the abandoned criteria. However, the tax has now expired (no idea if she's SORN'd the vehicle). As it's parked in a visitor's space, is it classed as on the highway or is it deemed private land?

Any ideas on where this stands legally or if she can just leave it there forever more

You need to contact your local council and they will investigate it and work with the DVLA and police.

I had to do this a couple of years back myslef for a van that was abandoned outside our house. Council took it away, but not sure what happened to the owner.

You can also check the DVLA website to se if its been SORNed or not, if it hasnt then the owner can expect a hefty fine.

Page Has Expired

i believe once informed the council will move it after 14 days

Normally only if there is no registered keeper and/or the vehicle is considered a danger to the public.

You do need to establish the status of the land and whether or not a SORN suffices (if in place).

However, I would be inclined to report it to the Council as abandoned and see what develops. They should undertake all necessary checks.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More