Ridgeworth Fairmile

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4152 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I recently had a phone call from a company working for Ridgeworth Fairmile (Gothia, Red Castle Recoveries) saying that I still owed £100 on a Choice For You catalogue that I had about 5 years ago.

Last year, however, I had a letter (which I can't find now, but I'm pretty certain it was from Ridgeworth Fairmile) saying that I owed £100 to Marks and Spencers. I knew I didn't owe M+S any money so I asked them what it was for. They first told me it was car insurance (I hadn't even passed my test at that point) and when I contested that they then said I had been shoplifting from M+S! I rang M+S and, as I suspected, they had no record of me whatsoever. When I told the debt recovery company this they did not contact me again so I think I threw the letter away a few months ago.

So, when I had a phonecall saying that I owed an exact £100 I got suspicious and told them that if they sent me all the information they had on the file and could prove I did owe it then I would pay it, but not before.

They told me that the debt was for the Choice catalogue but I thought I paid that off last year. They have said that if I find the confirmation letter then they will clear the account. I don't know if I'm going to be able to find it though; I remember paying off a couple of debts at the same time but I threw one of the confirmation letters away.

I have asked them again to send me EVERYTHING they have on the file so I can find out if I do actually owe the money (if it turns out that I do then, oobviously, I will pay it but not until then). He says he has everything on the file to prove that I do owe it but seems to be avoiding sending them out.

If I can't find the letter am I within my rights to refuse to pay anything until they can prove (and I am satisfied that I DO) that I do owe it? What if they don't send me anything?

As debt recovery companies go, the people I have spoken to at Gothia are actually very polite, incidentally!

EDIT: The reason I am sure that it was Ridgeworth who tried to make me pay the M+S debt is that I have kept letters from all the other debts that I actually owe (including the ones that I have paid off). I only had one letter about the M+S debt and threw it away. I have been through my box of letters and can't find one from Ridgeworth. If they had been recovering the choice debt then I'm pretty sure I would have at least one letter from them.

They told me that the debt was for the Choice catalogue but I thought I paid that off last year. They have said that if I find the confirmation letter then they will clear the account. I don't know if I'm going to be able to find it though; I remember paying off a couple of debts at the same time but I threw one of the confirmation letters away.
The onus is on them to prove a debt exists, it's not your responsibility to prove it doesn't. Send them this recorded delivery; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt
  • Haha 1

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT