You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• 12+2 working days.   a dca can't hurt you credit file any more anyway.   only the original creditor can issue and register a default, on or before the sale of the debt.   what the dca put in the calendar section is immaterial as only you and them can see it it does not extend the 6yrs period whereby the debt shows on your file and after which the 6th defaulted date's birthday causes the whole file to removed regardless to paid or not, paying or not......makes no odds. it still goes, but might still be owed mind, depending upon the contents of the CCA return.   dx  
    • Hello   I agree with dx100uk.   Send them a CCA request which is a request for them to produce the original agreement that gives rise to the debt.  They have a limited amount of time (I think around fifteen days) to send you the document.   Here are the possible follow-ons from that:   1. They don't respond within 15 days and so you are legally entitled to stop paying until they do send a response. 2. They send a letter saying they have gone back to the original creditor to ask for the document and they need more time.  You (legally) stop paying after fifteen days and don't pay them again until they send proof. (This is the most likely first response as they wont have any of your documentation as they bought your debt as part of 1000 others on a spreadsheet on a CD ROM or USB stick). 3. They send you something that looks like a contract or which might be something else that they want you to think is the contract within the time frame.   After either of the above  whatever they send you should be referred back here for an assessment as they will often send you unsigned documents or made up bits of nonsense.  Even if the contract turns out to be the genuine one it still might not be enforceable due to errors made by the creditor at the time of signing.   The only potential downside to the above is that they could try to damage your credit record but probably it is as much damaged as it can be by this debt already so nothing else they can do will make it worse.   Following on from the above you can continue to not pay them.  I would setup an on-line savings account and pay yourself the money instead which has the advantage of creating a resource in case you need to resume payments in the future.   They may send you further letters either inducing you to resume payments by threat or by offering you a deal.  If the document is not valid then the only deal you need to take is the one you unilaterally entered into at T plus 15 days when you agreed with yourself not to pay them another penny.   It is not impossible that they will send you a letter saying the debt is unenforceable (miraculously I have actually seen one!) and asking you to pay anyway which you will of course ignore as you should not be giving any member of this low life industry any encouragement.  
    • I agree and I've no doubt that will happen in the future, but if a court claim is issued and a ccj successfully registered against the debtor then it will never be sb anyway, so are we more likely to see more court claims in the future ?      Can it not work both way though, if the sb date is ultimately aligned to the date of the default notice, essentially giving the creditor 6 years to collect or issue a court claim then regardless of when the debt was last acknowledged / payment made, a debtor could just tell the creditor to eff off after the 6 years is up, figuratively speaking     
    • Received acknowledgement of defence submission from court. VCS now have the option of continuing their claim or not. Watch this space !!!!
    • Yes it doesn't work HB  In Wales someone needed a test on a Sunday, the testing station at Llandudno Hospital was closed, so they could either go to Manchester, 75 miles, or Cardiff 200 miles and a 10 hour round trip.   But as Manchester is England no guarantee on getting test results.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
ratlover

Distance selling, and returning goods

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3991 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I have this morning received goods from an online retailer and they have arrived thus.

One item is broken.

The other item has been replaced with an inferior quality product without them contacting me for my approval to do so.

I have emailed them to ask for them to pick them all up and refund me.

Now, is it within my right to demand that they pick up the items at their cost, or is it down to me to incur further postage costs to sent it back?

Thankyou

Hi!

I am happy to confirm that as per the Distance Selling Regulations your only responsibility is to immediately notify them of the goods being damaged / incorrect and then to "restore" them to the supplier.

"Restoring" is a messy word but it means you have to keep them in good condition and available to the supplier. You do not have to send them , if they want them back they have to get them back! They might ask you to send them to them, if you do keep a copy of this request and ensure the request confirms you will be refunded the cost.

Hope that helps!

Fin

source: Distance Selling (Mail Order, Telephone and Internet Shopping) Fact Sheet - BIS department for Business Innovation & Skills

Great!

Thanks for that tinyfin :).

That's incorrect tf.

You have a right to reject by giving them notificatin in writing within 7 'working' days, starting the day after you receive them, that you wish to reject the goods. Under DSR you can do this for any reason, ie; wrong colour etc; Who pays the postage for return depends on their terms and conditions.

Where they explain the DSR (if they haven't they are breaking the law) they must tell you who is responsible for the return postage cost. They can pay for them or they can say you have to pay for the return. If there is nothing, then they pay for the return.

In the case of damaged or wrong goods, (your problem), you should notify them and you can either send them back at your cost, or ask them to arrange collection, but they 'must' reimburse you that return postage cost as well as the purchase price and the delivery cost (if there was any). They have 30 days in which to refund you all the cost.

Just to add. The refund countdown begins with the time you sent them the letter/email and not from the time they pick up or receive the goods.

Edited by Conniff

Oh ok, i just took it litterally of the government website as quoted. I would imaging what you have described is the best practice method from the OFT which has been drawn up based on the legislation.

Either way its good news for ratlover!

With regards to who pays,

If it is returned due to a breach of contract / rights (including implied terms), then the seller pays. They cannot contract otherwise, and any term that says so is ineffective. They must refund postage if they do not pay for it initially.

Where it is due to a right to return but there being no breach (i.e, returned under the "cooling off" period), then it is the responsibility of the seller to pay postage unless the contract says otherwise.

As connif said, the countdown begins from the day the notice of cancellation is received, and the seller cannot insist on the goods being received before the refund is made.

First, a big thankyou everyone who has replied :)

I have (I hope) one more question...

The retailer has agreed to arrange for collection on Wednesday 21-07-2009, now what are my rights regarding making sure I get some sort of receipt or proof of sending back?

What do I need to look out for from courier?

Will the courier give me some paperwork, or will I have to insist on some kind of receipt?

I ask, because when I was younger and a lot more naive a courier returned to pick up something I'd bought mail order, but I didn't get anything to prove I had returned the item. To cut a long story short, even with the help of the CAB I was unable to get either my money or item back!

Thanks again.

:)

Any decent courier should leave some docket to say it has been picked up. In any case, the seller is responsible for it's return. Once you have given it to them, it is out of your hands. You could always make a note of the drivers name, their description, vehice reg etc etc.

Like I said earlier, the seller cannot insist on the goods being received before giving a refund. If something did go wrong, they would have to reimburse you and then if they wanted take separate action.

Not that they'd have much chance in succeeding.

If he doesn't offer you a receipt then you can get him to sign, print his name and company details on one you have prepared.

It would be a good idea to have one ready.

Just a quick update...

Courier picked up this morning 09:30:), great no waiting around for them.

Before I handed the parcel over I asked if I would get any paperwork or receipt and he said he could give me a receipt, so off he pops back to the van.

He comes back saying he hasn't got any but have I got a piece of paper?. I said "Here's somthing I prepared earlier", explaining I had been shafted before not having proof of returning goods.

So I had knocked up (as suggested) a simple form stating...

This document hereby confirms that on the 22-07-2009:

COMPANY NAME:...........................................................

COURIERS NAME:..........................................................

TIME OF COLLECTION:...................................................

COURIERS VAN REGISTATION:.......................................

COURIERS SIGNATURE:...................................................

Collected a parcel for return to:

(Return address removed)

I had already got my digital camera ready, as I even thought about asking my Son to video the exchange! :lol:

I checked the bank this morning however, and still no refund. Anyway they have 25 days left to comply with the regulations.

It's great that we have forums like this where we can exchange experiences and help, and I hope that maybe one day this thread will provide good reference for someone else who needs a little help.

Thank's for reading.

:)

and I hope that maybe one day this thread will provide good reference for someone else who needs a little help.

That is why we like to know the outcome, so others can learn from these experiences.

Just a quick update.

Still no refund.

Amazing how quick they can take your money, isn't it?

If I do get the refund, I bet they hold off until the very last minute of the 30th day.

:D SUCCESS! :D

Well I checked the bank today, and it looks like my dispute has successfully ended and the retailer has refunded my money ;)

Once again thankyou to all that helped answer my questions and arm me with the ins and outs of distance selling law.