My story - letting agent to moving home

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wanted to post my story so that it may help someone and show that things can work out well when renting private property.

In Oct 07 we had our home repossessed, due to many things, it was one of the worst experiences of our life. We managed to rent a nice 3 bed house, that was perfect for us and a long term let.

Recently due to my husbands injured leg we have had to consider moving to a bungalow, and found a perfect one, i was so scared that we wouldnt pass the letting agency checks/references. Not because we have run up new debts or are bad payers, but i thought the past problems would effect our credit rating, we have never missed a rent payment, and pay all our bills on time, the only issues are old debts which since reading this forum i am now going to start to address. Both my husband and i work and have no problems getting employer references.

Today i have been told that we have passed the referencing procedure and can now make arrangements to move to our new home. I am so happy, i cant believe it.:D

The time scale was -

We viewed a property, paid the 175.00 referencing fees, five days later i get a call to say everything was ok - i had passed and the bungalow is ours. This too is long term. The agents suggested we put it into only my name as i earned enough money to afford it myself, which makes no difference to us.

Tomorrow i am going to the agents to discuss with them the tenancy start date and finalise things - so excited, i will sleep tonight now instead of lying awake stressing about it all.

The only negative thing is that that i feel sorry for the owners of our current property, they are losing tenants, and have a mortgage to pay, i do feel bad, but everyone keeps telling me that we should do whats right for us - cant help how i feel though.

Will keep updating as thigs progress

:eek: Looking hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel :eek:

Thanks for posting this baglady. I'm sure it will give a lot of people who are being threatened with repossession, or already have been, great comfort to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope you'll be happy in your new home and that your husband recovers from his injury - as far as possible anyway.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

good luck in your new home....its a wonderful feeling when things go right - i rent a bungalow too (long term i hope) & very happy here.

you do need to think of yourselves especially after whats happened....so dont feel guilty....your current landlord will find new tennants

enjoy your sleep tonight & heres to many more sleepfilled nights :)

Thank you Caro, his injury is not very serious thankfully, but is being made worse by the stairs in our home - hence moving to a bungalow.

I wanted to show people that things can and will get better, as i said the repossession was a dreadful time, but now i honestly think it has been the best thing for us, we are paying less each month too.

It has taken me nearly 2 years though to think this way, and from all i have learnt on this site i believe we could have saved our home from repossession, but thats past history now and as i said i am glad things have turned out well.

Thanks again.

good luck in your new home....its a wonderful feeling when things go right - i rent a bungalow too (long term i hope) & very happy here.

you do need to think of yourselves especially after whats happened....so dont feel guilty....your current landlord will find new tennants

enjoy your sleep tonight & heres to many more sleepfilled nights :)

Ahh thank you pinkduchess, yes i know you are right i am so excited to move, but just at the back of my mind is the fact that i am leaving my landlords in the lurch, i am sure they will find other tenants.

I certainly will sleep tonight - mind you i could be stresing now about packing and where my furniture will go!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes.

Update.....

Went to the agents today as arranged, we sign up and get our keys on 17th of August at 10am -YIPPEEE:D

They said we could have the tenancy begin whenever suited us, but the rent would be due on that date thereafter, hence 17th, as i get paid on 15th, so now i am going to - have to try to change my leave from work, which wont be easy as its kids school holidays, hopefully my manager will be ok, negotiate with our current landlord, the end date of this tenancy - hope he will agree to 19th August (giving us time to get sorted and clean whilst property is emptied), though he may hold us to months notice from 1st August, in which case we will keep the keys until the end of the month.

Our tenancy officially runs 1st of the month, but we pay rent on 15th - but we will see, hopefully he will be understanding of our situation.

We have a removal company coming on Monday to give us an estimate, we used them last time and were very happy with the service, so if cost is reasonable we will book it with them to move us on 18th August, they provide all your packing boxes, wrap, and tape - as many as you want, in with the cost.

So i am very happy, it is all coming together, i did sleep well last night, and the strange thing is i think i have moved out of this house already in my mind - things that didnt used to bother me at all - BOTHER me now a lot.:confused:

Will keep updating - and would like to thank everyone for your comments.

Well - I had a really good and very productive day today, packed up all the CD/DVD's, packed up 2 large boxes, sorted out 4 binbags of rubbish from wardrobes, and collected 3 bags for the charity collection.

I visited the new house today again, only the outside, just to look at garden and through windows etc. I really really like the property, and met one of the neighbours, who seemed very nice.

We are all so excited to be moving, and have planned each room and what furniture we are taking with us, and what we need to buy new.

Looking forward to removal man coming tomorrow to give us an estimate, we can then get him to bring us some boxes etc, as we have done all we can now until we get some more.

Forgot to mention, we have a little dog and i was very anxious about telling the letting agent and landlord, however at the initial viewing my husband just blurted it out, we have a little dog and is it ok with him?

His reply was - of course i have dogs myself and as they are part of the family, it is no problem, i would not move anywhere that i couldnt take my dogs, and so wouldnt expect anyone else to have to either.

How reassuring was that? i was really relieved, he also said we are free to decorate and do basically what we wanted to, we explained that we would like to eventually put a higher fince at the very back of the garden, we would always ask him before hand.

Off to bed now - hope i can get some sleep, cant seem to stop thinking about the move etc.:D

You will all be so fed up with me soon.

You will all be so fed up with me soon.

Not at all, thebaglady. As Caro has already said it is nice to hear good news.

This is a worry that lots of people with poor credit history will be facing so to hear your successful story will be a great boost. Please keep us updated.

Wishing you all the very best in your new home. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Not at all, thebaglady. As Caro has already said it is nice to hear good news.

This is a worry that lots of people with poor credit history will be facing so to hear your successful story will be a great boost. Please keep us updated.

Wishing you all the very best in your new home. :)

Thank you for your kind words,

I also like to read positive stories, and am very interested in how people have moved on from difficult situations, it is very reassuring to read how others get on and get life back on track.

Well removal man came today and did an inspection of our home, asking what we were taking etc, he said though the price will go up slightly from last time we used them, he would try to keep the cost low. He needs to work the cost out and will sent it to us asap, i explained that we wanted 18th Aug, and he said he would get back to us, apparantly August is a very busy time for moving house!!!!

I have just emailed my current landlord, to update him. Just need to get date confirmed with the removals, so i can book the time off work.

Well its been good and bad today.

The good news is the removals are all booked and confirmed, the bad news is our landlord visited unexpectedly (visiting family at moment as live abroad), they are now asking us to leave some furniture that at the time they said we could have, bedroom furniture, and daughters bed, which i am very upset about, there is other things they want but they are not as important. We had presumed the furniture was now ours and planned to take it to our new home.

At the time we moved in they asked us if we wanted anything left in the property, we listed some items, they stated they would leave them on the understanding that the property was not furnished and if the items needed replacing it was our own responsibility to do so. I got the impression that is suited them as much as it did us having the items, as they were moving abroad and had already shipped what they wanted. I didnt agree to storing their furniture for them for a later date.

I told the landlady i was a little dissapointed at them wanting those items, and i had intended to replace the bedroom stuff myself last year - had i done so their stuff would have been long gone anyway.

I feel really dissapointed we have never asked them for anything, bothered them, etc and have looked after the property as if it were our own, and feel now they are being a bit mean with us, may be my mind but is it because we are leaving?

I dont know, she told me she would speak to her husband and get back to me, later i get an email informing me they want us to leave all the items we had discussed. I have replied to that explaining how dissapointed i am stating my reasons etc.

She also wants to show a new letting agent around to take details next week - we have agreed to this reluctantly, i dont feel i should do anything now to assist them.

Oh well - the joys of moving house........

Rant continues....

The more i think about this the more annoyed i get, i have put up with lots of things wrong with this house, faulty boiler, open fire in lounge - so draughty in winter we had to move into another room, fence panels broken - had to be botched up by my husband, condemmed gas fire in living room, toilet constantly getting blocked, uneven flags in drive, i could go on, and though these things do bother me i have never mentioned them to landlords, just got on with things, but now i wish i had been a mithering tenant.

I cant be like that but it really gets me down when you are very fair with someone and they dont treat you the same way.

Rant over..........for now.

I think!!!!

• 2 years later...

i have been looking into renting a house because at the moment we are paying out and have nothing at the end of the month, we have missed a few mortgage payments , so would we be accused of making ourselves homeless if we let the house go and went into renting a house, the thing is with a rented house we would qualify for housing benefit which would let us have bit extra each month as we both work but have low wages >

Baglady, don't mean to prick your bubble but until AST is signed and you have moved in, nothing can certain. Even if bungalow is empty it can be vandalised or burn down before Aug.

IMO you need to accept current LLs request to leave his furniture unless you have a signed agreement he gave it to you. May also reduce the removal van estimate (less work). Ensure you serve current LL with written NTQ and confirm his agreement that rent will only be due pro rata until you vacate. I assume AST is now SPT with rent due monthly, therefore Notice must be served by by end of June to expire last day of July (Tenancy dates not rent due dates apply). Your T will automatically end on NTQ expiry. LL could claim full rent until end of Aug unless you get prior written Agreemenf. Your current rent is due on 15th yet you have keys for new place from 17th 10am but not vacating until 18th. May be better if new LL/LA would let you move in on 14th and pay rent + 3 days on 17th. Returning current keys on 14th.

Use the new lower rent savings to buy replacement bed etc and reduce your outstanding debts you were worried about.

Sorry to be a Jonah but it serves no purpose to regret your previous compliant attitude, other than lesson learned. LLs seriously dislike moaning minnies.

Edited by mariner51

Sorry CCs, Didn't spot that. Just looked at top recent threads.

Do wish they would lock threads that are >1yr since OP. It confuses many later OPs with related problem eg NTT64 and those, like me, that should have gone to Specsavers.

NTT64, Councils, LLs/LAs would not consider you 'intentionally homeless' if your Lender repossessed house due to failure to make mort repayments, but even late payments may appear on your credit report, so you may fail LL/LA credit check or be required to pay more rent up front or provide a house-owning, fully employed G. Some LLs/Ins does not allow tenancy for Ts already claiming HB or intending to.

Mods please start new thread for ntt64 and append related replies