Faulty part on used car

Davemb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys, would be very grateful fo any advice.

I bought a used car of a large car leasing company, everything went smooth with the sale, but ive had it for just over 2 months now & there is a part has gone faulty which will cost over £2,000 to replace. The guy in the used car section tells me that it is my problem but i can not afford to have it fixed.

So my question is, are they abbliged to stand over any of the costs for this, as im still under 90 days or am i truely on my own here with this one.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Dave..

Its the dsc unit in a 1 series bmw which i believe is the brain for the abs & the dtc ( diving traction control), however car drives fine just wont operate the dtc function & beeps with warning lights everytime i start it.

Did you get any warranty wuth the purchase of the motor car ?

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

No, didnt get warranty, as there where only 16,000 miles on the clock, i thought it would be ok, but we talked about warranty briefely & was told that a lot of things would probabally not be covered under it, so no, dont have any warranty.

Yep, hit the pedal, & the abs does not work as the car skids.

The car was great when i bought it and everything worked on the test drive, this problem has only occured after 9 weeks ..

This needs checking out as it could well be a speed sensor on a wheel. These are used for both abs and the dtc.

Make your complaint under the heading 'Inherent fault' and quote the sale of goods act. It will be up to the seller to show there was nothing wrong with it when you bought it and not for you to show there was.

Forgot to mention that i had a diagnostioc test carried out which brought up this dsc fault, or do you think it could still be a speed sonsor on the wheel and the machine cant pick that out ?.

Thanks for your advice on the old sale of goods act, ill give that a go on Monday.

I don't thnk it shows each wheel sensor, just a fault and it will be up to the mechanic to find the actual fault.

They aren't like the old boys, they believe everything a computer tells them and have little real diagnostic skills.

If the suns shining tomorrow and you want to have a look at anything, just pull apart plugs and plug them in again. A lot suffer with oxidation of the contacts because the silicon grease hasn't been applied properly.

Legendary idea, i tried that, disconnected each wheel sensor 1 @ a Time, cleaned it, but no go.

Loving your feed back though, if you can think of anything else id love to give it a shot.

Thanks again

It will be up to the seller to show there was nothing wrong with it when you bought it and not for you to show there was.

That may be quite easy for the seller to do, as there were no warning lights on at the time of purchase and for some 9 weeks after. Also if the car came with a recent MOT pass, this would prove that the ABS warning light system operated to the manufacturers specification.

Thanks for all your replys guys, good result for me, as there where only 16,000 miles on the car bmw stood over the whole bill, so no need for further action (: