Abbey bank dont care that money has been taken out my died father in law account! advice needed please

lmerrikin8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father in law was taken in to hospital on april 22nd 2009, with fungal pneumonia and chronic leukaemia, sadly he passed away on 16th june 2009,

during his time in hospital, money had been taken out his account even on the day after he died,

we didnt know this till we went to the abby bank and closed his account downs, and i noticed there should of been more money with him been in hospital for so long.

So the women gave us a mini statment and told us to ring the police and the fraud line, which we did but when we did they said they was nothing they could do as the bank account was closed ,

so we left it for a few days and went back in to the branch and spoke to someone in there and they told us to speak to the fraud line, so we rang from the bank and they kept sayin we cant talk to you we need to talk to the account holder and we was like he died he died thats why im ringing you up!

In the end someone from the branch decided to ring them and deal with it for us! and we was told it was getting sorted,

well today we rang the bank to find out what was happening and they said that they had sent a letter out to my late father in law saying that they can't do anything because the card was used with the right pin!

They don't seem to care at all, the women on the phone today was what do you want me to do the account is closed! they has got to be something thatt can be done? my father in law didn't have a girlfriend there was only my son so we not sure on who could of used his card! We have tried the police but they said they is nothing they can do unless the bank says it was frand! there was nealy £3000 taken out his out. and abby are not going to do anything! We are really stuck on what to do now!

Its only been four weeks since my father in law died my husband is upset as it but to learn bank isn't going to do anything is just going to push him over now!

Who is the executor or the estate/next of kin?

Who had any access to the card and/or PIN while he was in hospital?(I'm sorry to have to ask this question at such a difficult time but that is where the bank is kinda going, I suspect).

Are there any other withdrawals that are suspicious?

The executor/next of kin needs to ask for the time/date and location of the withdrawal.

Do you have that and was it within the locality of where he lived?

My condolences to you. My father passed away 7 years ago so I can understand that it is quite a raw time at the moment. It does get better in time but the first few months are really tough.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

My husband is the next of kin!(He didnt leave a will and didnt have a house just a coucil flat) as far as we was told by his dad his cards were in his wallent! we have got a statment with what was taken and were and how much! but the bank has said as it was his card that was used with the right pin there is nothing they can do! we have told them he was in hospital even the day after he died there was money taken out!

My husband is the next of kin!(He didnt leave a will and didnt have a house just a coucil flat) as far as we was told by his dad his cards were in his wallent! we have got a statment with what was taken and were and how much! but the bank has said as it was his card that was used with the right pin there is nothing they can do! we have told them he was in hospital even the day after he died there was money taken out!

There was no one else that would have his cards he was on his own!

Firstly, I would put all my concerns in WRITING!

Phone calls leave no records.

Most banks fob you off first time. It's only after the second complaint that they seem to take notice.

Have a look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/162960-mum-burgled-withdrawls-nor.html

Jogs

Hi yes it tells u were they were taken and when none of them were taken at the hospital they were all taken at calton tsb, or booze buster even the day after he died there was money taken from his account! We got some of his mail today and there was a letter off abbey

Mr ........... my father in law name!

AS outlined in the terms and conditions for your account, Your abbey card can only be used in conjunction with the pin we issue. To keep your account secure it's vital you don't tell anyone else what your pin is, or let them use your card.

Unfortunately, after completing your transaction, you left the card in the ATM with the pin still active.

We do take full responsibility for fraud that happens on our customers account, as long as we are satisfied taht the customers has not done anything to leave their account vulnerable. However we are not able to accept responsililty for money taht goes missing from account through the customer's negligence, for example sharing their PIN Number, or indeed leaving their card in a machince.

We do appreciate that you did not deliberately leave your account vulnerable. However we cannot accept responsibility for the money that was taken. Money started to go out his account the day he was taken in to hospital. Is abbey takin the **** sending a letter to him even know they know he has died??