• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell and Barclaycard debt poss SB'd

Azuma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey guys,

as you'll notice, i'm a newbie here, have read ALOT of the info herin, but have a few things i need some help on if possible, as there is soooo much information on the same types of things, i think i might have confused myself a little :(.

here's the situation:

I have received a two letters from Lowell Portfolio I,

one  outlines a debt i had originating from a Barclaycard i held back in 2001.

on this letter is states that the "credit agreement dated" is 01.10.02 am i right in thinking this is more than 6 years, as such would be statute barred??

i have not made any contact with them or paid anything since around 2002.

i am ready to send them a letter denying the debt exists, but needed to check with you guys first as i know you're all experts on this kind of thing :)

the other letter just states that the account has been passed to Lowell on 21.11.07,that they have been appointed duly authorised collection agents for the recovery of the outstanding balance. etc etc...

can anyone advise me on how i should move forward with this?

shall i send the template for debts over 6 years or send a CCA?

any help is greatly appreciated as i'm about to become a dad and this hanging over me is causing ALOT of sleepless nights right now.

thanks in advance guys, love you all :)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you have made no payments or acknowledged the debt in writing for 6 years then it is indeed Statute Barred. Here is the letter to send to the Leeds Losers (Lowell),

The Loan Company

Company House,

Church Street,

Newtown,

Kent,

R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No 4563210025897412

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgment or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Edit this letter to suit your needs (eg, put in the account number and your address), DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER and make sure you send it by Recorded Delivery.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

wow you guys are quick, this gives me the ammo i need for now,

they must know it's statute barred but are just trying to play me for a fool right now.

i'm sending the letter today and will see what they respond with :) thanks again to you all, amazing!

i've posted the letter outlined in this thread, i can only hope some good news comes of this, if they send me a letter to the contrary i'll more than likely be posting again asking for more advise :)

thanks to all who have helped me here.

Mr.Ton,

if this is the case, where do i go from there?

just ignore the letter entirely?

or respond with a "no thanks you ****" type letter? haha

If anyone else could give me an idea as to how this will "pan out" please feel free to comment,

i'd like to have this rectified,

am i also right in thinking that after the 6 year period the default will be removed from my credit score or have i got my wires crossed somewhere along the way? :(

To be honest you are best to leave it and see what they come back with. When they do reply just let us know what they say and we will give you some more ammo to send back.

Edited by Blondmusic
My terrible spelling again!!!!

sweet, you guys are truly life savers,

i would not have known ANY of this, or even where to start contesting,

if i'm totally honest i was going to call them today to arrange a re - payment plan with them today,

luckily i managed to find this forum and save my own skin.

at least i can sleep easier right now,

i sent it by recorded delivery,

let me know if it's ok?!

thanks again.

It does that when you use Microsoft Word 2007 (I know i use the same program!!)

That letter is perfect. Send it Recorded or Special Delivery to make sure they get it. If they come back with anything after that then let us know on this thread and we will advise you of what to do next.

A good tip is to bookmark your thread as a favourite so you can find it easily when Lowells reply to you. I used to have to go through the forums looking for my threads but i have them all saved in my favourites now and they are easy to find.

Good luck.

my Statute Barred letter was recieved yesterday, just awaiting a response, which i will post up here and see if i can anymore advise from you lovely people.

i'm not sure they are going to drop this so easily, however being statute barred i suppose they haven't got a leg to stand on, and most people here seem to have satisfactory outcomes, so here's hoping!

hey guys,

i've got a probably simple question to be answered,

i've recently moved into a new house, literally 4 days ago

, i have not even had time to call companies like coucil tax, gas, electric etc to tell them the change of house, i've only called my bank HSBC.

now, somehow Lowell's have managed to find where i live in that short space of time,

how the hell do they do it?

it makes me a little concerned about the security of my details

. if they can find me, anyone can haha

- not that i have anything to run from, but still, confusing how they know my new address and my own parents don't yet lol,

before you ask, there was no redirect addy on my previous house.

any ideas??!?!?

yeah, however guys, the debt in question from lowells is nothing to do with HSBC, it was with Barclays, surely HSBC would not pass my info onto another bank or a DCA working "on behalf of lol" Barclays? i'll kick some ass at HSBC is this is the case.

damn, crazy stuff... so if HSBC had passed my information on, surely they would be breaching data protection? i didn't think banks share information with eachother? hmmm, might have to phone HSBC and make sure they have not leaked my info to anyone...