JSA Overpayments Penalties Etc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if someone would like to advise/comment.

Quick backgound: Made redundant last day August 2008. JSA (IB) ran out 21st March 2009. In Novernber for just under 4 weeks did some part time (10-15hrs pw) 7pm-10pm on line training and got paid. Gave up at the end because the pay is simply unsubstainable.

April 2009 - Under caution interview. Went there and was open and honest and did 'not' (genuinely) know I had to declare this. Decision arrives May telling me £199.60 overpayment. Called to say still unemployed and lady said she'd mark it down as such so no need to worry.

Monday, July 13th letter telling me to pay! Called and entered into a payment agreement for £1 (yes a quid) a month. Wednesday July 15th letter arrives telling me 30% penalty to be added. Letter states an interview for me to sign to accept on Friday 24th July at 10am. Called and spoke to the nice interviewee (by chance) who said she did not make any decisions but just did the interview originally. I protested my amazement and disgust at the whole affair that I consider just so unfair having worked and paid NI and IT for 40 years!

Any suggestions? Should I appeal as I know signing opens the data available to other people like Housing Benefits? Would they actually take me to court (which by the way I'm happy to do)? Having read the sections of SSAA 1992 I can see that whilst one might appeal the chances of winning are about zero aka unfair justice within a democracy (soap box mode off).

Thanks in advance

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

In all honesty, I think you should work out an acceptable repayment plan and pay off the overpayment. Since it was a genuine mistake, I might be tempted to see if I could get the penalty removed, but doing undeclared work whilst claiming benefits is a big no-no. As such, it seems unlikely you'd win an appeal, since your case could really only be that it was an accident that you broke the law. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh - these things happen, and not everyone is familiar with the benefit system. But I really don't think you'd have much luck in an appeal.

As to court, if you repay as agreed it seems unlikely they'd prosecute over £199 (it probably wouldn't be cost-effective), but that's simply my educated guess.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

In all honesty, I think you should work out an acceptable repayment plan and pay off the overpayment. Since it was a genuine mistake, I might be tempted to see if I could get the penalty removed, but doing undeclared work whilst claiming benefits is a big no-no. As such, it seems unlikely you'd win an appeal, since your case could really only be that it was an accident that you broke the law. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh - these things happen, and not everyone is familiar with the benefit system. But I really don't think you'd have much luck in an appeal.

As to court, if you repay as agreed it seems unlikely they'd prosecute over £199 (it probably wouldn't be cost-effective), but that's simply my educated guess.

Thank you for that! :)

My point is regarding the additional 30% penalty added ON TOP of the £199.60. I've agreed a payment plan at £1 a month for the £199.60. I do not think it fair under the circumstances that I have been charged the penalty amount which comes to an extra £59.88. I wa totally open, honest and genuine in my interview.

They want me to go and sign that document saying I accept the penaly charge. I am also aware that by signing it would mean the data can be used in other departments such as Housing benefits etc.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

• 2 weeks later...

Have brought your first post to the attention of the site team, they might have more knowledge.:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have brought your first post to the attention of the site team, they might have more knowledge.:)

Erm, no? In fact if we go down the track of DWP it appears that you have 'NO' option but to pay the penalty whatever the reasons of you being paid too much. It's one of those 'neat' laws that are translated to 'you can appeal but you cannot win'. I am however in the process of a letter to DWP to let them know what I think with loads of questions. What amused me was the letter to attend to sign the penalty also included that could answer any questions. In fact they could answer 'NO' questions because they had no answers. When I signed I also put 'Forced to sign under protest' next to my signature.

Michael