You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

jimmie1978

Philips Collection Services

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4014 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

First of all, I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong spot. If I have, please would you repost where it should belong.

I have been having issues with Philips who seem to be using "Bully Boy Tacticts" to get me to pay what they demand every month. I have tried to tell them that due to certain cercumstances, I am unable to comply with what they want, but am willing to pay a lower sum. They, however, are refusing to budge, and being totally unreasonable. They have given me a 3 month deadline, they have stuck a visiting fee on my account and not supplying proof of the visit. They have also placed an advanced visiting fee on, assuming that they are going to have to send some one else out to me, all this before the 3 month period is over. This, i should tell you is for a parking fine that I forgot about and has gone to the collection stage. Philips are also stating that they have a strict deadline set by Barking And Dagenham Council to collect the money owed. I have called the council and asked several people about a deadline and they have denied all knowledge. They say that if they do not receive any thing from me, it gets sent straight to Philips and then it is out of tere hands; They don't set deadlines. I have sent them an email which is posted at the bottom, and would like to known if I am right or wrong in what I have said. Please, if any one can give me advice, it would be much appreciated.

To the operations manager.

After doing extensive research regarding debt collectors / bailiffs, I came across certain things that Philips Collection Services LTD have to abide by, which are not clearly happening.

Under section 2, paragraph 2.1 of the Office of Fair Trading guidance pack, it clearly states that it is unfair to communicate with me using inaccurate or misleading facts.

You are currently working on behalf of Barking and Dagenham council to recover a debt owed by myself. On speaking with Barking and Dagenham, it is clear that they do not set a deadline to which they want the amount owed recovered. But on the letter that I received from yourselves dated 9th July 2009, you state, and I quote “the client has a strict timescale” to collect payment. This is clearly untrue and goes against the above stated paragraph.

You are also not accepting an arranged payment of £10 a month and are pressurising me to up payments to over £100 a month, which I clearly cannot afford. In paragraph 2.5 under Physical / psychological harassment, OFT guidelines state that putting pressure on debtors is considered to be oppressive. 2.6 gives an example of pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonable large instalments, or to increase payments when debtors are unable to do so.

I have had two fees added to my account already, even though I have been given 3 months to pay the debt off. The 3 month deadline has not passed, therefore, there should not have been any visits from a collection officer. I have also had a fee added in advance of another collection officer paying me a visit. Paragraph 2.9 states that charges should not be levied unfairly. An example is given in 2.10 stating that charges not based on actual and necessary costs are unreasonable.

Paragraph 2.12f states that debt collectors should not make visits when the debt is deadlocked. By deadlocked, I mean where the debtor agrees that there is a debt and offers a repayment programme which has not been agreed by the debt collector. Therefore, paragraph 2.12f makes to the 2 fees that have been added to my account invalid and void. I am also not legally liable to pay collection charges, and whilst I am prepared to pay off the amount owed to Barking and Dagenham Council, I am not prepared to pay any charges that Philips Collection Services add to the account. If you would like to pursue this matter further, you must go forth to a county court and start a small claims case against me.

Please note that if a collection officer / bailiff does attend my property, he/ she will not be granted permission to enter my premises, and a letter will be posted through the letter box, stating that any communication between myself and Philips Collection Services will only be done via emails or letters.

Copies of this email have been kept, and I have also sent a copy to the address on the top of your letters.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Your sincerely,

Mr J R Copeman

Edit and remove your name from the bottom of the letter Jimmie.

Don't worry at all Jimmie. You pay what you can afford.

Are they bailiffs or are they debt collectors?

Have you been issued a court summons and had judgement against you?

According to there website, they are both. When I questioned this with there call centre, they stated that they send debt collectors first, then bailiffs if they don't get what they want. As for a court summons and a judgement, I have know idea as I was not in whe this so called knock on the door came. None of the letters that I have receved from Philips have stated that they have a summons.

They also state on their site (just looked) that they get paid on completion of collection so want to get it over with asap to get their money.

They also get paid by whoever has instructed them as per their site - Working on a 'no collection, no fee' basis - so adding to your debt is bullpoo.

They will not take you to court because they know that when you show the judge the income and expenditure list you will have made out, the judge will only allow what can be afforded, and if £10 is causing you problems, he will only allow less, even down to £1 per month.

Disregard the letter you have sent and tell them that all you can afford is £10 per month, and enclose payment with that. Continue with the £10 per month and though they may scream and throw their toys out of their pram, there is nothing they can do about it.

Don't be intimidated.

Thanks for responding Conniff.

I have already started paying them £10 a month, and have a standing order set up on my account to pay them on a monthly basis. They know this but say that although they will not refuse payment from me, this is not an aranged payment, but a volluntary arangment, and if the full sum is not collected by the deadline then further action will be taken. I know you say disregard the email that I sent, but I would like to know if they will laugh at that or whether what I have said is factual.

They will certainly laugh, they will laugh even louder if you increase your payments and pay the illegal charges they have added.

Just continue with the payment you are already making and leave them to stew in their own self richeousness.

All they want to do is get you out the way so they can add another one to their statistics, the ones they bullpoo to creditors.

Edited by Conniff

You just confirmed that I have no idea what I am talking about an have made myself look like a total idiot, lol. Thank you for your advice on this.

You just confirmed that I have no idea what I am talking about an have made myself look like a total idiot, lol. Thank you for your advice on this.

No Jimmie, you haven't. What I meant was they already know all the laws and regulations, they just don't abide or care about them.

I didn't mean they would laugh at your letter, only the fact that they already know.

Sorry if I worded it wrongly.

No problem, you got me worried for a bit, lol. Thank you again for your help. I will keep this post uptodate if I get a response from them.

If they should write again and you fancy answering them, just tell them that is all you can afford and that no further correspondence will be entered into.

Make sure you keep a record of payments so that you only pay the outstanding ticket and not any of their charges. Cancel the standing order when the ticket is paid up.

Hi Jimmie,

So this is for a parking ticket?

Council parking fine HAS

Council parking fine HAS

Thanks Con!

Sorry to hear about your problems, Ive experineced similar problems with the same company, i would certanlly make your voice heard and notify the relevent people about the tactics this company continue to use, here are some contact details you may find usefull:

Philips Collection Services Ltd

PO Box 152

Darlington

DL3 9WT

Phone: 01325 387 400

Fax: 01325 383 887

Email: npb@philips.org.uk

Link: www.philips.org.uk

Office of Fair Trading contact details:

Philips Collection Services Limited - Licence Number 0491286

enquiries@oft.gov.uk

You could also make your local MP aware of your situation:

www.theyworkforyou.com

Hope you get things sorted, keep us informed.

The retailers worst nightmare !

Thanks for the info Big Boss Man, that may become very useful.

Hello again.

I have 2 other querys now that I hope you can help me with.I have had another visit from a collection officer today. He could no get past the security door of my block of flats and kindly left a hand delivered letter in the communal walk way beyond the security door. He did not make himself known to us by pressing our buzzer, the letter was found by me as I came home from work. Now to my understanding, they are not allowed to do this and breaks yet another OFT guidline. Am I correct? Also, my car is on HP, I know they are not allowed to take the car, but are they allowed to clamp and refuse to remove the clamp until full payment is received?

I would contact tomtubby on this site, they are the bailiff expert and should be able to help you deal with this.