Am I about to lose my deposit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you dont know who your deposit is protected by, phone the three schemes - they will be able to tell you if your deposit was protected.

DPS 0870 707 1 707

TDSL 0871 703 0552

TDS 0845 226 7837

Try and get a name and note of the date of your enquiries

If you signed an AST after 7 April 2007, your deposit was required to be protected. If it was not, you can sue your landlord for the deposit + 3 x deposit. Was a proper check in done, agreed and signed by you at the beginning of the tenancy? If not, how can they prove that the property was any different at the end of it!

First check with the 3 schemes. If you have the old agreement, surely the new one followed on? Try to find the date of the original agreement.

Once you know the deposit should have been protected and wasn't, you write to the landlord (via agent if necessary, but it is ultimately the landlord's responsibility) and say that if your deposit is not returned in full with 7 days you will take the required legal steps to sue for the return of your deposit and the 3xdeposit penalty for non-compliance with the deposit protection legislation.

Keep up us up to date and good luck!

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update on this!

After not hearing anything for a while, I finally got an email from someone ELSE who works at the letting agents (not the one who originally sent the email with the false claims in!)

This is the one who actually did my inspections every 3 months when I lived there so knew that I kept the place clean.

Anyway, he said he didn't know where the EVIL letting agent man had stored the photos he sent me, so I emailed the pictures back and said the comments I made on each photo still stand.

It's taken a few weeks - but I just got this reply......

Dear Miss Pussycat,

It has been a while, i have finally managed to speak to the landlord personally about this issue. He is willing to let go of the cleaning and all the other issues you and EVIL letting agent disputed however he insists on being compensated for a stained rug which he claims cost him £125. He intitially wanted to claim the full amount however i told him that the rug wasnt new when you moved in so he will need to settle on much less.

He agreeed on a figure of £60 to be deducted for this and the rest put down to wear and tear. Will you agree on this so i can finally put an end to this and refund you the rest of the monies?

If I can be of any further assistance please dont hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

NICE Letting Agent

I think that's a great result - much better than I was hoping for! :D