car i paid cash for welcome want money from me?

jomac1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i bought a car for my partner in april this year , having had the car checked it appeared that there was finance outstanding on the car , i rang welcome to inform them that we now owned the car, to which they told me the previous owner had failed to keep up the payments and it would cost me £100 to remove their intrest from it can they really do this???

Hi

Here is a an extract from the TS:

Used cars - consumer rights

You can also expect the seller to be the owner or authorised by the owner to sell. If you buy a car later found to be stolen, you have no legal right to keep it. You will have to try to get your money back from the seller.

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives ‘good title’ (ownership) to the innocent private purchaser of a car which later turns out to be subject to a claim by a finance company because of a previous unpaid hire purchase or conditional sale agreement. This means that the finance company, which is claiming the money, cannot usually repossess the car against your will.

For advice on this you should contact Consumer Direct. Telephone: 08454 04 05 06.

Did welcome say what the £100 relates to? ie. is it the total outstanding finance, the final option fee or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

I learned only recently from the TV that finance agreements over 6 years old are automatically void , but it is common for finance companies to seek a minimal payment thus reactivating the loan and making the payer responsible for the entire outstanding amount . So question the dates involved .

Could you tell me how i can post letters on here that i have scanned into my computer please ?

Hi. It sounds like a Welscum Welscam - £100 in the back pocket for updating te records. I'd get a second opinion from Consumer Direct, unless any other CAGgers have experienced this...

minus-millions - go to photobucket, create a free account (being economical with personal info) - then upload the images. You can then copy the links and paste here.

I learned only recently from the TV that finance agreements over 6 years old are automatically void , but it is common for finance companies to seek a minimal payment thus reactivating the loan and making the payer responsible for the entire outstanding amount . So question the dates involved .

Could you tell me how i can post letters on here that i have scanned into my computer please ?

I'm not sure how true that can be - sure a minimal payment within the stat bar period would reset the clock, but only if made on behalf of the original debtor. They can not transfer the agreement to a third party without that parties consent, which would also require a new agreement being signed by the new owner.

Why not just get a HPI check on your car ebay and which car , parkers online all offer this service quite cheap , i just done a quick search for you and came up with this HPI Check and FREE Car Data Check it claims to be free but i don't have a number to enter ?

At least you will then know if they are telling you the truth .

Why not just get a HPI check on your car ebay and which car , parkers online all offer this service quite cheap , i just done a quick search for you and came up with this HPI Check and FREE Car Data Check it claims to be free but i don't have a number to enter ?

At least you will then know if they are telling you the truth .

Good point minus-millions.

Just checked (pardon the pun!) the link you posted, it costs 19.99 for the finance info. I believe the RAC are doing it for 9.99 and there are probably cheaper ones to be found. I suspect there will be a marker though - Welcome are very quick and dilligent at adding markers - but very slow at removing them.

But I would still look at getting advice on this - it looks like they are not chasing a debt but are trying their hand by, essentially, hostaging your car from future sale.

have hpi checked the car this is how i found out about the finance outstandinng think will look at consumer direct , just dont see why i should have to pay a finance company for a car i dont have finance on

• 1 month later...

this is missleading they can still charge you for any outstanding money, would NOT recomend selling or scrapping car

also reported to site administrators

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: