You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

mrlehey

Travel Expenses, i cannot afford

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4012 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I am wondering if someone could help me.

I am working for a company who require me to travel alot. They do not pay well and expect me to fork out alot of money per month to travel. I am to claim this back at the end of the month but it takes ages for them to reimburse me after i have claimed. It has now got to the situation where i am in the red with my bank account and i simply cannot afford to pay for all these travel costs without knowing when i am going to get the expenses forwarded to me.

I have recently refused to go on a job as i cannot afford the petrol costs and asked them to pay for the mileage upfront. They refused and are not to happy with me to say the least. Are they within right to be angry or even disciplin me if i cannot afford the petrol for the travel?

Thank you in advance.

I would think that if there is no set policy, i.e. a specific date to hand in the last periods reciepts and a specific date or timescale thereafter that you are reimbursed, then it's going to be difficult for them to make any disciplinary action stick. Is there nothing in your contract or the company handbook on how expenses are reimbursed and the timescale involved?

Thank you for the reply flipper79.

It states in the staff handbook that all expenses should be paid the following month (along with the normal salary payment). They have not been following this timescale themselves as it is usually 2-3 months later that expenses are paid after submission.

In that case I wouldn't worry too much about disciplinary measures, and instead I would consider writing a grievance letter if you've already tried to resolve this informally. But before doing so please contact Acas, quote what the handbook states and ask them if this would constitute witholding payment in the same way as witholding salary. If that's the case then they would be in breach of contract which would then open up the avenue of civil action against them as you'd still be employed. But, of course, check all of this with Acas to make sure I'm right in what I'm saying.

Once again thank you for the advice flipper79.

I will do as you said above.

Many thanks.

Not a problem at all, with any luck you'll get it all sorted and they'll start sticking to the procedure they themselves have put in place.

As an after-thought did you get docked pay for the job you refused to do? If so, and Acas suggest they are in breach of contract, it may be worth mentioning that in any grievance