Bank of Scotland charges reclaim from England - small claims?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I've got to the stage where I have to file an N1 form to reclaim charges from the BoS.

I've thought about filing against the Halifax in Leeds but I suspect that they might avoid the action, so my question is can I file in Cambridgeshire county court agains the BoS head office in Edinburgh? I'm not sure about cross-border actions.

Thanks!

Why do you want to file in Scotland? By doing that you risk the case being transferred to a Scottish Court, so unless you're familiar with the processes there it may be best to stick to an English address, such as your local branch.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

There are no branches of the BoS in England.

I phoned the county court and they said that I could quote a standard phrase to invoke jurisdiction in Scotland. I'm looking it up but if anyone can quote the relevant phrase it would save me a job.

I understand that there's a possibility of transfer to a court near the defendent (i.e. in Scotland) but then again isn't that just a request isn't it - you don't have to accept the transfer?

Hi,

In general, you're supposed to sue in the court nearest the Defender. So, if you were suing an individual you would have to do it in the court nearest them. However, as a consumer you are entitled to sue in the court nearest you. In practice, it means that if you are on the other side of the border from your bank, you can choose where to sue them.

In my claim against Capital 1,(Head office in England) I claimed in Edinburgh Sheriff Court and put on my claim form, "Edinburgh Sheriff Court has jurisdiction as the monies are to be paid to the persuer in Edinburgh." and they paid every penny claimed, including Interest.

Regards.

Scott.

Edited by maroondevo52
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks - I did try searching the site but couldn't pick this out of the haystack - this looks like it - 'I state that the High Court of England and Wales has power under the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982 to hear this claim and that no proceedings are pending between the parties in Scotland, Northern Ireland or another Convention territory of any contracting state as defined by section 1(3) of the Act.'

I believe that's right.