i have to pay my husbands exes debt?why

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all,

i am fortunate to have not so long ago gained employment, it isnt the best job in the world and its killing me but its work. im working night shift (im a morning person). yet i get a letter from the DWP other day saying i owe £980 in social loans, yeah ive had them in the past but ive always paid them but never ever had that much. infact i asked him to tell me how much i myself owed and he told me £160 (big difference)

it transpires that when mu husband was married to his first wife they had a £1000 loan (obviously never paid) i asked him he cant remember but he says there might of been (fair enough).

i say to the guy, 'why am i the one to pay', he says im liable :eek:. apparantly the debt left with him (my hubby) so therefore she wasnt liable ? but i am ? so i said well why am i liable he said your married to him, so i said yes he was also married to his wife at the time whom the loan was with so why isnt she the one also liable and he said oh no its me.

what do i do ? i think its fair we pay half but why all of it? and do we have to pay all of it? and is it a case that im the only one working out of me, him and the ex so they chase me for the money?

sorry for rambling i would just like some advice and knowledge on it all,

Thanks

Besides you not being responsible for your husbands former debts, if they are over six years old and no payment or written admission of the debt has been made within that period they will be Statute Barred. This means they would not be able to take legal enforcement, but the DWP have a partial exemption in the fact that they could deduct the debt from any future benefits.

hello all,

i am fortunate to have not so long ago gained employment, it isnt the best job in the world and its killing me but its work. im working night shift (im a morning person). yet i get a letter from the DWP other day saying i owe £980 in social loans, yeah ive had them in the past but ive always paid them but never ever had that much. infact i asked him to tell me how much i myself owed and he told me £160 (big difference)

it transpires that when mu husband was married to his first wife they had a £1000 loan (obviously never paid) i asked him he cant remember but he says there might of been (fair enough).

i say to the guy, 'why am i the one to pay', he says im liable :eek:. apparantly the debt left with him (my hubby) so therefore she wasnt liable ? but i am ? so i said well why am i liable he said your married to him, so i said yes he was also married to his wife at the time whom the loan was with so why isnt she the one also liable and he said oh no its me.

what do i do ? i think its fair we pay half but why all of it? and do we have to pay all of it? and is it a case that im the only one working out of me, him and the ex so they chase me for the money?

sorry for rambling i would just like some advice and knowledge on it all,

Thanks

Who is the demand addressed to?

i dont know if they had a few and theve been joined up but i got a letter three days ago saying to pay £11.20 a week for £400 loan, im guessing they may come one after the other.

the letter was addressed to me with my name on it?

i dont know why the guy himself said as me a person alone only owed £160 ?????????

Write back to them denying all knowledge of these debts & ask for proof.

It will be interesting to see their response for the simple reason if they reveal this information to you, because you are not the debtor, they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act. :D

its not a him they maybe trying to track its a her.

basically im my husbands second wife,

first wife and hubby had loans

DWP ask me to pay - second wife, they arnt even addressing letters to him its to me ???

DWP ask me to pay - second wife,

That is why you are not responsable & if they give you the information they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

The only possible way they can reclaim these debts is if you are jointly in receipt of certain benefits, if you are not and the debts are over six years old they cannot take enforcement.

are you claiming any benefits in joint name with your husband at the moment?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

the letter i recieved began with-

some time ago we told you that you would have to pay back the social fund payment at a later date. we have decided that you should now start paying back the £400 that you owe us.

in what way will i start a letter requesting info of the laon ?

any help will be great as they will be getting it by recoredered mail

are you claiming any benefits in joint name with your husband at the moment?

ida x

can you say if you are?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

• 1 month later...

hello all, DWP still trying to chase me for this debt, is there a template or something that i need to follow to request info of data?

here is a copy of the letter minus personal details

Dear mrs ???

ABOUT YOUR SOCIAL FUND REPAYMENT

we have changed the arrangements we made for you to pay back your social fund payment.

the total amount you owe the social fund is £980.69. YOU must pay this back.

you will have to pay us back at £11.50 a week.

Your first payment is due within a week of the date of this letter.

You can pay the money back in any of the following ways:

. In cash

. By postal order

. By cheque

---------------------------

I know the address of the ex do i give this info to them as they obviously dont have it (or cannot get money of her).

i never had this money i never signed for this money

please help

did you write to them what cerb had suggested?

ida x

Did you send this letter, as suggested by cerburusalert?

Your Ref:

Dear Sir,

With reference to your letter dated xx/xx/xx which you claim I have an outstanding debt to the DWP.

I have no knowledge of any outstanding debt and suggest that you supply evidence of such.

Yours,