You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

jack1966

i have to pay my husbands exes debt?why

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3963 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hello all,

i am fortunate to have not so long ago gained employment, it isnt the best job in the world and its killing me but its work. im working night shift (im a morning person). yet i get a letter from the DWP other day saying i owe £980 in social loans, yeah ive had them in the past but ive always paid them but never ever had that much. infact i asked him to tell me how much i myself owed and he told me £160 (big difference)

it transpires that when mu husband was married to his first wife they had a £1000 loan (obviously never paid) i asked him he cant remember but he says there might of been (fair enough).

i say to the guy, 'why am i the one to pay', he says im liable :eek:. apparantly the debt left with him (my hubby) so therefore she wasnt liable ? but i am ? so i said well why am i liable he said your married to him, so i said yes he was also married to his wife at the time whom the loan was with so why isnt she the one also liable and he said oh no its me.

what do i do ? i think its fair we pay half but why all of it? and do we have to pay all of it? and is it a case that im the only one working out of me, him and the ex so they chase me for the money?

sorry for rambling i would just like some advice and knowledge on it all,

Thanks

In A Word No

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

Besides you not being responsible for your husbands former debts, if they are over six years old and no payment or written admission of the debt has been made within that period they will be Statute Barred. This means they would not be able to take legal enforcement, but the DWP have a partial exemption in the fact that they could deduct the debt from any future benefits.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

hello all,

i am fortunate to have not so long ago gained employment, it isnt the best job in the world and its killing me but its work. im working night shift (im a morning person). yet i get a letter from the DWP other day saying i owe £980 in social loans, yeah ive had them in the past but ive always paid them but never ever had that much. infact i asked him to tell me how much i myself owed and he told me £160 (big difference)

it transpires that when mu husband was married to his first wife they had a £1000 loan (obviously never paid) i asked him he cant remember but he says there might of been (fair enough).

i say to the guy, 'why am i the one to pay', he says im liable :eek:. apparantly the debt left with him (my hubby) so therefore she wasnt liable ? but i am ? so i said well why am i liable he said your married to him, so i said yes he was also married to his wife at the time whom the loan was with so why isnt she the one also liable and he said oh no its me.

what do i do ? i think its fair we pay half but why all of it? and do we have to pay all of it? and is it a case that im the only one working out of me, him and the ex so they chase me for the money?

sorry for rambling i would just like some advice and knowledge on it all,

Thanks

Who is the demand addressed to?

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

i dont know if they had a few and theve been joined up but i got a letter three days ago saying to pay £11.20 a week for £400 loan, im guessing they may come one after the other.

the letter was addressed to me with my name on it?

i dont know why the guy himself said as me a person alone only owed £160 ?????????

I think they are only chasing you as either your ex is ignoring them or they can't track him right now.

David

Write back to them denying all knowledge of these debts & ask for proof.

It will be interesting to see their response for the simple reason if they reveal this information to you, because you are not the debtor, they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act. :D

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

its not a him they maybe trying to track its a her.

basically im my husbands second wife,

first wife and hubby had loans

DWP ask me to pay - second wife, they arnt even addressing letters to him its to me ???

what a star cerberusalert, he he that is definatly one avenue im going to persue.

DWP ask me to pay - second wife,

That is why you are not responsable & if they give you the information they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

The only possible way they can reclaim these debts is if you are jointly in receipt of certain benefits, if you are not and the debts are over six years old they cannot take enforcement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Who exactly told you that you are responsible for the alleged debt?

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

are you claiming any benefits in joint name with your husband at the moment?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

the letter i recieved began with-

some time ago we told you that you would have to pay back the social fund payment at a later date. we have decided that you should now start paying back the £400 that you owe us.

in what way will i start a letter requesting info of the laon ?

any help will be great as they will be getting it by recoredered mail

Your Ref:

Dear Sir,

With reference to your letter dated xx/xx/xx which you claim I have an outstanding debt to the DWP.

I have no knowledge of any outstanding debt and suggest that you supply evidence of such.

Yours,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

are you claiming any benefits in joint name with your husband at the moment?

ida x

can you say if you are?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

You really need to post the letter minus any identifying details for us to determine what you are saying.

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

hello all, DWP still trying to chase me for this debt, is there a template or something that i need to follow to request info of data?

here is a copy of the letter minus personal details

Dear mrs ???

ABOUT YOUR SOCIAL FUND REPAYMENT

we have changed the arrangements we made for you to pay back your social fund payment.

the total amount you owe the social fund is £980.69. YOU must pay this back.

you will have to pay us back at £11.50 a week.

Your first payment is due within a week of the date of this letter.

You can pay the money back in any of the following ways:

. In cash

. By postal order

. By cheque

---------------------------

I know the address of the ex do i give this info to them as they obviously dont have it (or cannot get money of her).

i never had this money i never signed for this money

please help

p.s. i think i have recieved this new letter as i have recently become unemployed, i just signed on this monday gone.

did you write to them what cerb had suggested?

ida x

Did you send this letter, as suggested by cerburusalert?

Your Ref:

Dear Sir,

With reference to your letter dated xx/xx/xx which you claim I have an outstanding debt to the DWP.

I have no knowledge of any outstanding debt and suggest that you supply evidence of such.

Yours,

Is it not possible that this is just a case of them not realizing you are the 2nd wife of Mr +++++?

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

It's quite obvious they think you are the one that borrowed it in the first place. They think you are the one and only wife.