Funding/grants

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all, if this is the wrong forum, I apologise.

I'm currently unemployed, the majority of work I've done in the past is driving 7.5t, so with this in mind I've been trying to find some funding to get the next class of licence, cat C and poss C+E. My local jobcentre haven't been much help, would rather pass the buck on to other departments and companies. After today going for an interview with a company I was assured could help with getting some funding, (4th time so far ) and being told no chance, I thought I'd have a look into it a bit further. I've tried a CDL, but dont expect to get far due to a shot credit record, what else is there?

I'm in a similar situation to you, albeit with IT rather than driving. When I asked at the job centre they told me that there was some sort of discretionary funding controlled at the local level as part of the new deal. Unfortunately, because I didn't qualify I don't know much more than that.

So far I've been told by the jobcentre that the funding doesn't exist, that it does exist but I'm not entitled to any, and that they've used up their allocation. They've also said that there are independant companies out there that can help, but that again the funding has all been used up. One of these companies put me in touch with another, claiming the money was definitley there, when I get to speak to them, yes it is there but not to fund an Hgv licence. I'd like to know who provides the funding to these companies, wondered if it would be worth approaching them instead?

Hi

Don't know if this helps but my son-in-sin drives for an agency and they have put him through his class 2 and 1 based on him doing it as an NVQ. They paid the lessons and he paid for the test. the class 1 is £300.

Maybe you could get work via an agency and then ask about doing HGV test through them. Son-in-sin has now been offered a very well paid permanent post with one of the firms that used him via the agency.

Good luck

Have been down that route, using agencies, before. None of the agencies around here offer such a scheme, an agency I worked for a few years ago did, but only because they owned a driving school. There is one agency, local, that offer something close, but it involves working for them and 'banking' contributions to the course over a year, unfortunately they dont have much in the way of work for C1 (7.5t), and to qualify for their scheme requires working for them for the year, but without the work its nigh on impossible. I have loads of experience as C1, but no work available, signed on at 5 local agencies but no work forthcoming. 2 of them have said they're crying out for C and C+E drivers. The cost of the courses is roughly £1600 for cat C, and another £800 for C+E, so funding wise I'm looking for £2500, although I'm looking for £3000 so I could hopefully add Hiab (mounted crane ) or Moffat (detachable forklift), or ADR (hazardous goods) to it as well, just to improve my chances of landing a job. And its not as if I'm not willing to pay it back either, its just everytime someone says they can help, or advises of someone who they think can help, I end up with another knock back.

hi

Sorry to hear that. I don't know what else to suggest. Was just giving you son-in-sins experience but we are in south west so perhaps thangs are different here.

He has been very lucky and only had a few lean weeks at the beginning of the year but other than that he has had plenty of work.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of good news. One of the companies I approached about funding, who originally turned me down, has, via another company, agreed to fund my cat C licence. But there's a catch, I need to have an offer of employment to go to at the end. So now the search is on. . . .