Deposit Charge - Communal Area's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I am a student and have just moved out of a privately owned halls of residence.

It states in the AST that I have joint liability with other tenants for the kitchen and other shared area's despite the fact that the AST covers a single room only.

I was curious as to the legality of this as it seems illogical that if a bar stool for example is broken that a group of people are held responsible when it was clearly the act of one person.

If communal charges are legit then it seems that I can be held accountable for the cleanliness damage caused by other people - which does seem wrong.

Any advice you can share would be great.

Regards

Are you sure what you have is an AST? as a tenancy granted by a univeristy or institution cannot be an AST.

That aside, I dont see why you couldnt be held responsible for the communal areas.

it is 100% an AST with Liberty Living (the landlord)

My issue is the fact that our kitchen area was shared between 5 tenants, I was the only tenant to make an effort to ensure it was clean before I left and as far as I'm aware at least 3 of the other tenants did not receive any charges for the communal area's.

Holding a group of tenants jointly and severally liable is nothing unusual for a letting/rental agreement. No doubt, one person may be a far bigger contributor to the problem than others; however, it would be almost impossible for the landlord/agent to prove in most circumstances hence why this arrangement has come to be practiced. The question is, can you prove that you are being unfairly singled out and that other people have not had the same deductions. If so, ask liberty living why they have only deducted from your deposit. Also, have you checked that your deposit is infact protected in one of the government approved schemes. This is a legal requirement and has been since April 2007.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08