Barcleys problem, please help!!

kazem5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Last year I got the oppertunity to do my intership in the UK. Therefore I opened an account at Barclyes. At the end of my placement, I moved to my uncle's house and forgot to give my new address to Barcleys. After months, I received a letter ,on my uncle's address, from Regal credit demanding me to pay 600 pounds!! if not paying, my case will go to court. After a few calls with Barclyes and the Regal credit company (they are very rude though), I managed to get my bank statements. I saw that Barcleys took 22 pounds a week, for few months long, as interest fee!!. This amount has never been taken before from my account.

I tried to explain it to the Regal credit company but they were very rude to me. They also complained of not understanding me as a result of my bad E.

Could anyone please help me / explain to me why this amount has been taken from my account? is that normal in the UK? do i need to pay it? what actions can i take?:confused:

I'm a forgein , science student and have a very little knowledge about these issues!!!! :(

I will really appreciate it , if you will be able to help me

THanks alot

Hi Kazem5 and welcome to CAG.

In July 2008, Barclays changed the way they charge customers whose bank balance goes overdrawn, or over any limits agreed with the bank.

Each time this happens, Barclays charge their Reserve Fees which are £22 every 5 days, and £8 for each transaction that increases the unauthorised borrowing.

As you are a student and probably have little or no income, you may qualify to reclaim these bank charges using the "Hardship Rules". Please confirm if this applies to you.

Read the "Reclaiming Charges Guide" at Link No1 in my signature below.

Also, read articles 3, 7 and 8 from here - The Consumer Forums - Bank charges templates (consumer)

Send this letter to Regal to keep them quiet - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/580-letter-when-bankdca-attempt-to-collect-on-penalty-charge-situation

As with all letters you find here on the site, you must change them as required so the letters make proper sense for your own case.

Come back with any questions after you have read the sections I have mentioned. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

You will not get back the charges under financial hardship rules without priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities).

I would get the statements though to find out what has caused the issue.

You might argue that the bank failed to change your address and so you were unaware of the personal reserve and therefore were unaware the balance had spiralled ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I will try it Yourbank.. thanksss.. Personnally I thought that they started to charge me since they thought I dont live in UK anymore. cause on the the statement there was written as my new address: Gone Away!! I will go to Barclyes next week and will ask them to explain it to me. Or will try to upload it here to see if I understood it right. Thanks again and again guys for all ur help (Bunch of roses)