• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

me v abbey *** WON !!! ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ok, filed moneyclaim but quite unlike myself I forgot to include the account number in the actual claim?

I am about to send of the spreadsheet which includes all the details of the charges to attach to the original claim is this ok?

also, do I just send a letter asking for this to be associated with claim number xxxx?

thanks in advance..

Yes - I am wondering this too.. are there any links to info we have missed..?

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

• 3 weeks later...

Had an offer of 50% -the goodwill payment and a defense from abbey, standard stuff.

I have responded rejecting the 50% offer and explaining that my claim actually is discounted by the goodwill amount already (glad to see they read the charges spreadsheet!).

I have also counter offered, saying that we will split the £250 court charge, therefore giving abbey a £125 'discount' . This counter offer is valid for 7 days only...

If they dont respond within 7 days from wednesday, then I shall submit my AQ and a further £100 will be added to their liabilities...

I need some help, I have received £390 of the £1825 I'm claiming from the Abbey. I have sent them a letter informing them that I would accept another £820 on top for a compromise if they were to put the funds in my ACCOUNT BY THE 24/10/06 tHEY HAVE NOT AND ARE TOTALLY IGNORING MY FOLLOW UP LETTERS AND CALLS. i NEED TO KNOW HOW TO START WITH THE COURTS NOW... PLEASE ANUONE COZ I'M TAKING THIS ALL THE WAY.

CHEERS ROY

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my abbey overdraft facility was withdrawn because I have refused to pay my dividends into my account, the Overdraft was £3700

My claim after deduction of £990 gw payment is 6k, they are no gving me 28 days notice before a defualt is placed, I have sent official complaint to abbey and will be following up with a letter to banking ombudsman.

Can anyone give me any pointers to how i should breah this?

Specifically to include allen betts head of debt management... what a knob

Have you written to Abbey specifically telling them you are disputing the debt and pointing out that the banking code prohibits them from defaulting the account whilst its in dispute?

Sec 13.6 of the banking code if you want to be sure, you should get yourself a copy so you know exactly what it says.

Re the banking ombudsman i haven't bothered looking on their site do they have a complaints procedure?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Complaints Abbey PO Box 5129 Milton Keynes MK9 2YN

9 November 2006

Dear Robert

Account number –

Your Ref: T

hank you for your letter dated 1st November 2006.

I must point out to you straight away that banking code sec 13.6 says that you cannot default accounts in dispute.

13.6 We may give information to credit reference agencies about the personal debts you owe us if:

you have fallen behind with your payments;

the amount owed is not in dispute; and

you have not made proposals we are satisfied with for repaying your debt,

following our formal demand.

I therefore can only come to the conclusion that Allen Betts, head of debt management at Abbey either:

1. does not know the banking code

2, does not care what the banking code contains

3, is deliberately putting false defaults on customers who query the banks illegal charges

Please advise

Yours faithfully

David Etere

what do you think?

Dear Mr xxx

Apologies for not responding to your original email.

I can confirm that a default has not been registered and we have suspended action pending the outcome of the dispute which is being managed by our Customer Complaints team.

Regards.

Allen Betts

• 3 weeks later...

received today

Abbey asked for small claims , I requested Fast track and full discloure of costs, I also asked for the judge to dismiss their defence due to history of failing to defend.

Anyway, I have to give standard disclosure to every other party by list??? by 11th december

15 Jan exchange serve witness statements

No expert evidence

Pre Trial checklists are dispensed with

case has been listed for trial after 5 february.

well any advice? is this standard?

thanks

Can anyone please enlighten me a touch on what I should give to who and what it contains?

sorry for the ignorance, i have an idea which is a list of items that i will depend on in court?

cheers

Can someone comment on this please?

Ie is it ok?

CLAIMANT

-AND-

Abbey PLC

DEFENDANT

DISCLOSURE BY LIST

OF xxxxxxx CLAIMANT

I, xxxxxxxxxx Intend to rely on the following documents in court –

1. Correspondences

.....Date .......Description ......................... ......................... No. of pages

(A) 07/08/06 Letter: Data Protection Act request - 1

(B) 22-08-06 Letter: Preliminary Approach for repayment - 2

© 04-09-06 Letter: Letter Before Action to Abbey – 1

(D) 05/10/06 Copy of County Court Claim form issued by Claimant - 1

(E) 10-10-06 Letter: Letter sent to Northampton County Court & Abbey - 1

(F) 10-10-06 Schedule of charges sent to Northampton County Court & Abbey - 2

(G) Court Document: Notification of claim issued – 1

(H) 16-10-06 Court Document: Notification of Acknowledgment of Service - 2

(I) Copy of Abbey Acknowledgment of Service - 1

(J) 26-10-06 Court Document: Notification of Defence Filed by Abbey - 3

(K) 13-11-06 Copy of Defendants Allocation Questionairre - 6

(L) 14-11-06 Copy of Claimants Allocation Questionairre - 5

(M) 25-11-06 Court Document: Notification of Allocation to Fast Track – 2

2. Authorities

...........Description ......................... ......................... .............No. of pages

(AA) -- Copy of bank statements printed from online banking provided by Abbey

(BB) -- Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) - 10

(CC) -- The Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982) - 13

(DD) -- Unfair Contract Terms Act (1977) - 9

(EE) -- Office of Fair Trading Report April 2006 (OFT842) - 35

( FF) -- House of Commons Early Day Motion (EDM 2227) - 1

(GG) -- House of Commons Select Committee on Treasury

Second Report: ‘Transparency in charging’ - 10

(HH) -- Report by Kendall Freeman on Liquidated Damages (May 2005) - 3

(II) -- Case Law Reference: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd

v New Garage & Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79 - 2

(JJ) -- Case Law Reference: Alfred McAlpine Capital Projects Ltd

v Tilebox Ltd [2005] EWHC 281 (TCC) - 2

The Claimant will also make reference to the following case laws;

1. Murray v Leisureplay [2005] EWCA Civ 963

2. Wilson v Love [1898]

3. Lordsvale Finance PLC v Bank of Zambia (1996) QB 752

4. Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd. (1962)

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated within this Disclosure List to be true and comprises of xx pages.

Dated 7th December 2006

Signed

• 1 month later...

okey dokey

Cheque in post today, 100% won, plus court costs

FYI Abbey are now not leaving it to the day before to settle as the courts are getting arsey with Abbey!

They are trying to settle early... hence my court date was week beggining 5th feb fast track...

on to abbey for my mortgage now... erc for 5k....

so now I have won 5k Abbey, 1k MBNA, MCOL with EGG and LBA to Abbey Mortgage..

lovely jubbley