• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice with HSBC debt please

Lou-Hoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new, I've looked through the existing threads but couldn't find a relevant place to post so I started a new thread.

I have just received a letter from Metropolitan collectors for HSBC demanding the full payment of my credit card back which is just over £2000

I lost my job a couple of years ago and so started to freelance, money comes in sporadically and not in great amounts. I owe money to 3 credit companies (Including HSBC) it all comes to less than £5000.

I have tried to find a part time job but when I do get work in it takes up all my time, recently I have worked 2 weeks solid late into the night, so it makes holding a PT job down hard work.

If it wasn't for charges and interest they could have all had their money back now.

On the advice of the Credit counselors I wrote to all my creditors, only HSBC replied sending me a form to fill in and send back, I did so and have had no correspondence from them since until this letter demanding all the money back which I can't afford to pay!

HSBC wont talk to me about it saying I no longer have a credit agreement with them.

I'm so worried its making me ill!

Credit Counselors wont help me any more as they say I have to be registered as self employed, I have been told not to do this as I simply don't earn enough on a freelance basis as yet and to advertise more and get more work before I register.

I'm so stuck!

Has anyone any advice? I've just finished a job and sold some items on ebay and can just about afford to give them a couple of hundred which will hardly make a dent. Will they just demand the lot back? What happens when I say I can't afford it?

Sorry for rambling. I'm very scared.

First send them all a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect these debts & if they are enforcable. If they fail to provide them within 12+2 days or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold payment until they do. Send them recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order in each. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there. Start a new thread for each one;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

You should also note that I will only discuss this matter in writing and should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you or any of your associates.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance. (Optional addition)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

Print name do not sign

Don't worry, even if they are enforceable they cannot make you pay more than you can afford even if that's only £1 per month. As I said above when you start getting them back & we've had a look at them we will be better placed to advise.

Under no circumstances speak to them on the 'phone, everything must be in writing from now on, that way it'll leave a nice paper trail which they can't deny.

Hi. Thanks for that...sorry for being a bit dense but does all that mean that they aren't allowed to ask me for the money back like that?

I'm so scared they'll take me to court, I don't want that on my record in the future.

I'm so mad that I sent the form back to HSBC saying I'd pay them 'X' amount and couldn't afford any more (and that's not an exaggeration!) and then they demand all the money back at once!

Any possible court action is a long way away yet, first they have to prove a debt exists & that it's enforceable, that's what your asking for them to do in the letter above.

Even in the worse case scenario a CCJ is a civil matter not criminal and only stays on someones credit file for six years. Besides we're getting ahead of ourselves here, just send the letter and we'll see what they come up with.

Incidently, a creditor normally sells the debt onto a debt collector & they would rather have a minimum payment than take court action. :)

I'm so mad that I sent the form back to HSBC saying I'd pay them 'X' amount and couldn't afford any more (and that's not an exaggeration!) and then they demand all the money back at once!

You haven't done any wrong in offering what you can afford. They normally will demand the full amount at first, but they will accept lesser payments. They may regularly try to get people to keep increasing the payments, but you have to stand up to them & when you do they'll back down even though they do have a tendancy to act like churlish children & spit their dummies out whilst throwing their toys around. :D

Hi cerberusalert sorry to keep on at you but I've just read this letter from MCS again and it says if I don't pay up within 7 days they may start legal proceedings...if I send them the above how do I know they'll get it/deal with it in those 7 days? What happens if I don't pay after 7 days? It sound like they can take me to court

I know you said not to call them but I'm tempted to just to say I can't pay it and offer them a nominal sum. I can't record the phone call either.

Thanks for all your help

Even if they tried to get a CCJ they couldn't obtain one overnight, there is a set protocol to be followed where you have the right to defend, see their particulars of claim and issue your response etc, this takes several weeks. Not only this, in the absence of an enforceable CCA or if there are unfair charges which have been added you could apply to have any claim set-aside.

Lets see what they send back in response to your CCA request before we start worrying about what might or might not happen. Even in the event that it is enforceable, creditors are loathed to apply for CCJs particularly when the debtor has no assets, it's just not financially viable for them to do so simply because in circumstances such as yours, a judge would only make an order for payment at a level which he thinks you could reasonably afford & this could be as little as £1 per month.

Do not telephone them or I'll slap your legs. ;)

Me again cerberusalert! Being a bit Blonde!

I've just come to write this letter, who am I sending it to? HSBC or MCS? If it's HSBC who should I send it to? (Eg. payments?) Will they deal with me since they told me it all had to go through MCS from now on?

Sorry to keep bugging you! Needless to say I've never been in this position before and you seem to know what you're talking about!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, the letter will be full of 'ifs & mays' again, besides they can't send in bailliffs without a 'warrant of execution' & to get that they would have had to obtained a CCJ & even then you would have to have defaulted on the payments on that. Just ignore that letter, they've still got a few days left to comply with your CCA request. Besides, that last letter you've received has probably crossed in the post with your CCA request.

I doubt it. I sent that letter the day after I received the first one and this one is dated tuesday. What's more the PO don't seem to be able to track my letter that I sent recorded.

I can't have the bailiffs coming, my mum is a pensioner we have very little as it is.

"A warrant of Execution" why does it feel like they are about to execute me? It would probably be easier if they did!

It turns out it hasn't been delivered yet even though it was 2 weeks ago! I might send another. Do you think I should? How long does it take before someone is banging on my door trying to take my mums stuff?!

Hi me again!!! (Sick of me yet?!!! lol)

Ok they STILL haven't received the letter, I've been doing a bit of research on the other threads and found that Companies house states MCS has no employees in the UK. Maybe there's actually nobody at that 'office' to receive the letter? Or perhaps they only like envelopes with money in them!

Anyway I want them off my backs, I'm borrowing the money from a friend to pay the debt back, but I can only pay a small amount now (the rest at the end of the month) so ... do I write with a cheque for this initial small lump sum and then send them the rest at the end of the month or what?!

Also can they charge me interest on this debt?

Once I've payed them back I'm going to close my account and complain like hell and try and claim my charges back! ARGHH! HSBC (Horrendous Sodding Banking.....er......cretins! lol)

Normally when a debt is bought by a debt collector the pay around 10% of the value of the debt so are inclined to accept a reduced offer to clear it.

If you write to them and offer them say 50% as a full and final payment. You could add that you think this was fair because if you decided to reclaim unfair charges which have been added, the original debt would be reduced considerably.

If they agree everything must be in writing and they must state that the a/c will be fully satisfied and will not be passed or sold on to another DCA.