Just discovered an unfair CCJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I used to work for a national firm of estate agents, based out of Colchester. They had/have a habit of trying to recoup money from employees as they leave. When I left the company (I resigned to begin a career in teaching), they wrote to me alleging that I had made an error on some property details and that they had been forced to pay their client £X in compensation. In this case their client was... themselves! Or at least another company in their small group.

I refuted the claim, asked for evidence of any wrong doing, and waited to hear back. I didn't hear anything, and then a few weeks later I moved house, having bought a property with my girlfriend.

This was about two years ago. Today, I was checking my credit record when I noticed to my horror that there was a CCJ registered on the 7th July this year. I couldn't believe it. It's registered to my old address, and was heard in the Colchester County Court for the sum of £586. I have a case number, but no other details - not even the plaintiff's details.

I haven't heard a thing about this until now.

What should I do? I have a good credit record but for this, and I certainly don't want baliffs turning up!

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I used to work for a national firm of estate agents, based out of Colchester. They had/have a habit of trying to recoup money from employees as they leave. When I left the company (I resigned to begin a career in teaching), they wrote to me alleging that I had made an error on some property details and that they had been forced to pay their client £X in compensation. In this case their client was... themselves! Or at least another company in their small group.

I refuted the claim, asked for evidence of any wrong doing, and waited to hear back. I didn't hear anything, and then a few weeks later I moved house, having bought a property with my girlfriend.

This was about two years ago. Today, I was checking my credit record when I noticed to my horror that there was a CCJ registered on the 7th July this year. I couldn't believe it. It's registered to my old address, and was heard in the Colchester County Court for the sum of £586. I have a case number, but no other details - not even the plaintiff's details.

I haven't heard a thing about this until now.

What should I do? I have a good credit record but for this, and I certainly don't want baliffs turning up!

Thanks in advance

hi dfc,

it would be a good idea to find out what the details of the claim were exactly. send a letter to the court with £5 chq (covers the cost of up to 10 sheets if necessary, doubt it) asking for copies of the claim form and any attached documentation.

as u have no prior knowledge of this there may be reasons to have it set aside, meaning its taken back to the point of the claim and removal of the CCJ. u need to see whats on the particulars of claim on the claim form really to see what u are up against.

in the mean time maybe have a look at this:

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 12 How To Set Aside A Judgment In The County Court

Hi R&B,

Thanks for posting. I've just rang the court and they confirmed it was my previous employer who brought the claim. I'll send them a letter as suggested encl. £5 and asking for a copy of the judgement.

In the meantime, I'm not likely to have baliffs turning up am I? The judgement was made nine days ago. It can't be too difficult to work out where I'm living now, I'm on the electoral roll etc.

You can be sure I'm going to fight this though! Can't believe they're trying it on!

In the meantime, I'm not likely to have baliffs turning up am I?

no i think ur safe for the moment

The judgement was made nine days ago.

sorry didnt realise but if it was that recent u shud get copies of the judgment asap as i believe there is a form on there to challenge (set aside) the judgment but i think u only have 14 days in which to do this without incurring a fee (£75) and more rigmarole.

id phone the court again and explain the situation to see what can be done.

It can't be too difficult to work out where I'm living now, I'm on the electoral roll etc.

they didnt want u to know abt it obviously!!!

You can be sure I'm going to fight this though! Can't believe they're trying it on!

well unfortunately its pretty easy to do as u are finding out.

thats all i can think of at the moment im afraid but i hope some others will be along to help also.