I'm an idiot, but a confused one!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved about 10 weeks ago from London to get married and start a home up North with my husband. Throughout this time I've been unable to find employment as I live in the middle of nowhere, we're moving in a week and I've already got interviews etc lined up.

However.

I knew I was behind in two payments to Abbey for my loan. I'm also in the red on my overdraft by about 600 pounds. I stupidly decided to just ignore the payments for two months because in my small little brain I figured I'd be right back ontop of things really soon.

I've received no letters from Abbey and no phone calls. I updated my info with Abbey the minute I moved 10 weeks ago so I figured they'd get in touch if they wanted to hound me for money to repay me loan?

So no letters/phone calls so I continued to figure I was okay in doing what I was doing and would just get back ontop of things in no time at all. I received a phone call today from 01294475300 which I Googled and it led me to this very forum - It's a company called Wescot Credit Services.

Now I've also received absolutely no letters from them either so this phone call is really out of the blue.. I know this must be to do with Abbey, but I want to know exactly what to do next - Has Abbey sold my debt to them?

What do I do now?

Edit: I also want to add that if bailiffs turned up on my doorstep, what would they try to take exactly? My husband is in the US Military & all of our furniture and goods are the property of the US Government.. Which would mean some big problems for the bailiffs if they even attempted to repossess them =/

Edited by rainydays

Hello and welcome rainydays,

You need to wait for a letter from them to see what it's about, if they call you again ignore it completely or refuse to answer security.

Everything in writing and remember DO NOT TALK TO THEM!!!

They wil get you to sell your own granny! Don't worry too much about this and come back whe you have more info ;)

Good luck and best wishes.

But what if they've not sent the letters to the right address? Clearly Abbey have been sending their letters to the wrong bloody place so this company have been too with no doubt... So really I'm never going to receive a letter from them and I'm also moving in a week so there'll be even LESS of a chance of a letter being received by Abbey & Wescot..

Hi and welcome to the CAG

I moved about 10 weeks ago from London to get married and start a home up North with my husband. Throughout this time I've been unable to find employment as I live in the middle of nowhere, we're moving in a week and I've already got interviews etc lined up.

However.

I knew I was behind in two payments to Abbey for my loan. I'm also in the red on my overdraft by about 600 pounds. I stupidly decided to just ignore the payments for two months because in my small little brain I figured I'd be right back ontop of things really soon.

I've received no letters from Abbey and no phone calls. I updated my info with Abbey the minute I moved 10 weeks ago so I figured they'd get in touch if they wanted to hound me for money to repay me loan?

So no letters/phone calls so I continued to figure I was okay in doing what I was doing and would just get back ontop of things in no time at all. I received a phone call today from 01294475300 which I Googled and it led me to this very forum - It's a company called Wescot Credit Services.

Now I've also received absolutely no letters from them either so this phone call is really out of the blue.. I know this must be to do with Abbey, but I want to know exactly what to do next - Has Abbey sold my debt to them? doubt it they will have tasked these cretins to chase you, do not on any account phone them

What do I do now? wait for a letter, from westcrap, and in the meantime write to shabbey and explain what you are doing

Edit: I also want to add that if bailiffs turned up on my doorstep, what would they try to take exactly? My husband is in the US Military & all of our furniture and goods are the property of the US Government.. Which would mean some big problems for the bailiffs if they even attempted to repossess them =/

I would assume then that he is on a base somewhere so they would have a hard time getting in, and anyway bailiffs are a long way down the road, shabbey would have to take you to court first, and they wont do that for a long while

But what if they've not sent the letters to the right address? Clearly Abbey have been sending their letters to the wrong bloody place so this company have been too with no doubt... So really I'm never going to receive a letter from them and I'm also moving in a week so there'll be even LESS of a chance of a letter being received by Abbey & Wescot..

they managed to phone you so how did they get the number

Its likely that Abbey have hired Wescot as an agent to contact you, they will be after their commission and no doubt will be nasty, intimidating and threatening - essentially your standard DCA tatics.

But the thing is if you have received no Notice Of Assignment i.e. a printed document saying the alleged debt has been transferred you are under NO OBLIGATION to make a payment to this third party.

If you want you could contact the original creditor if you feel guilty, or not, as with these things its all up to you.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

My best guess is that they're sending the letters to place I haven't lived at for a while and the people I lived with (I'm no longer on speaking terms with them) gave them the number?

Yeah I think I'll send a letter to Abbey. It's my fault for not calling them in the first bloody place I suppose, I just kept telling myself that I'd be employed really soon so it'd be "okay" =/

Where do I send a letter to?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/105208-abbey-contacts.html

So confused :( I'm kicking myself for being so damn stupid.

Yeah I think I'll send a letter to Abbey. It's my fault for not calling them in the first bloody place I suppose, I just kept telling myself that I'd be employed really soon so it'd be "okay" =/

Where do I send a letter to?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/105208-abbey-contacts.html

So confused :( I'm kicking myself for being so damn stupid.

Don't do that, we've all had moments that employed less than stellar judgement. In all fairness you informed them some time ago of your new address, so it's their cock up that has prolonged it. Blame goes both ways!

In any case, you're on top of it now and wanting to get it sorted, so it's not like you're burying your head in the sand.

I'd send a letter to the normal Abbey address, but include a note asking to be informed if there is a more relevant address you should be using.

As has been said, do not talk to Westcot on the phone. I've personally not had problems with them as they were quite pleasant on the phone, but I think I'm well in the minority with that experience so don't chance it.

Letters give you time to think and formulate a decent response rather than the knee-jerk reaction you're likely to give on the phone. There is nothing to do with creditors that is so important it can't wait for the post, regardless of what they say to the contrary!

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Just

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Account: XXXX

Please be advised of my new address to which all correspondence be sent to.

Yours faithfully

Send recorded, keeping a copy with your postal receipt, print your name do not sign and come back here when they've replied to you :)

I wouldn't bother - they'll contact you soon enough. You might want to include in your letter that you wrote x amount of weeks ago but have not had confirmation about the change of address. It just shows you've tried to contact them.

Remember, you haven't spoken to them on the phone. They haven't written to you at the address you gave Abbey some time ago. Ergo you have no idea they are trying to contact you.

They can't state you are ignoring them as they have not contacted you in any way. Even if they left a message for you on an answerphone I'd guess it would be left in their name, not Abbey's, and why would you phone a company you have not heard of?

True, true. They didn't even leave a name of the Company, the lady left her name and the number, that was it!

But yeah, I've not had anything from them in writing at all so I'm going to write to Abbey with me new address and see where it goes from there.

I will be getting a new job really soon.. So what do I do with my wages? I only have the one bank account so shall I just get my wages put in my abbey account to pay off the overdraft etc?