You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

LouisaH

Advice about landlord witholding deposit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4018 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me.

I paid £400 deposit and got a receipt for it when I moved into a room in the house my landlord lived in. I decided to move out after around a year and she has witheld my deposit because after I moved out an ex-boyfriend of mine turned up at the house a couple of times trying to find out where I was.

I think he was a little menacing and in the end the landlord called the police and made a formal complaint. She is claiming that while under threat from my ex (he hasn't been round again since to my knowledge) she has been unable to rent the room out to anyone else (losing £100 a week for 3 weeks), has had to take a morning off work to go to the police 9losing half a day's pay) and has suffered stress and inconvenience. I am claiming that the deposit was for damages to the house and she has no right to withold it for the reasons she's stated.

Can anyone advise me please? I'd like to take her to the small claims court to get the money back but am not sure of my legal position. I didn't help her get rid of my ex because if I had contacted him he would have started harrassing me...so I'm really unsure if I'm on shaky ground here!

Many thanks.

Hiya LouisaH,

Welcome to CAG.

I will move your thread over to the landlord/tenant forums. You will get the advice you need in there. ;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks very much - if anyone could help that would be great - thanks.

I would write your letter before action and include the N1 county court claim form with it to show you mean business.

She has no right to withold your deposit for the reasons outlined. The court will only award monies for actual losses i.e. 'her feeling threatened' isnt an actual loss.

Thanks Planner - Do you think her not being able to rent the room out (due to her feeling threatened) might be seen as an actual loss?

Thanks Planner - Do you think her not being able to rent the room out (due to her feeling threatened) might be seen as an actual loss?

No.