What to do about Ruthbridge Limited?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter today aksing me to ring this number which I did and it was Ruthbridge Ltd, They were very rude on the phone demanding money within 7 days or baileff will be brought in.

They wanted to know why I have not made payments in over two years to which I stated my circumstances which are

3 years go our 4th child was born in complications that nearly took the lives of both my son and wife. Shortly after my wife suffered a complete breakdown which is still on going forcing myself back then to give up work to care for both her and our children, Our eldest boy boy (12) has learning difficulties and needs extra care also. I am still in the same boat caring for them all, Our situation went down hill then and we have been forced to move 5 times in the last 3 years to where we are now in a council house. My wife claims income support for the both of us and we get carers allowance for our eldest.

I have an appointment on 24th July with my local CAB to discuss going for a debt relief order. I recently had to attend court for another debt and had to swear on the bible of my income and assets, After which the court person stated the company would receive a copy of it but would proberbly not pursue the matter considering I have very little income and no real assests. I was going to send a template letter asking then to consider writing the debt off given my financial circumstances but somehow they don't seem the most kindest of people. So I thought about the letter Ask your creditor for a copy of your credit agreement under the consumer credit act 1974. I was wondering what advice people may have I know in future if they call again to state that everything must in writing.

Hello and Welcome, welshcake.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

First send them a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect this debt & if it's enforcable. If they fail to provide it within 12+2 days or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold any payment until they do. Send it recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

You should also note that I will only discuss this matter in writing and should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you or any of your associates.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance. (Optional addition)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

Print name do not sign

I have received a letter today aksing me to ring this number which I did and it was Ruthbridge Ltd, They were very rude on the phone demanding money within 7 days or baileff will be brought in.

They would need a CCJ before they can use bailiffs & only if you failed to keep up payments ordered by the court & given your circumstances even if a CCJ was awarded against you a judge would only order what he thought you could comfortably afford to pay, which could be as little as £1 per month.

They would need a CCJ before they can use bailiffs & only if you failed to keep up payments ordered by the court & given your circumstances even if a CCJ was awarded against you a judge would only order what he thought you could comfortably afford to pay, which could be as little as £1 per month.

Cheers for that reasuring advice that is a weight off my mind really. I have printed off a template letter as suggested above and will send off today and await to hear responce.

Just wanted to add that this site is great and really glad that I stumbled across it as it has put my mind at some ease, If there is anything I can do to help you or others in future please just ask, I will await to hear the responce and post accordingly.

Many Thanks Again

Don't speak to them on the phone, put everything to them in writing.

If they insist on phoning you report them to OFT, they can't do this if you have asked them not to and to put everything in writing.

They can't and will not send baliff's, they may send out a doorstep caller to ask for money but not very common. If they do they are just debt collectors and not baliff's, they have no power to make you give them any money, they have no power to enter your home and if they knock on your door you do not have to speak to them and you can ask them to leave, if they don't you can call the police.

Don't be afraid of these mugs they tell you lies to try and make you pay, when they contact you don't do anything in reply until you have asked questions on this site as someone will always give you an answer to give to these fools.

Good luck

Hi everyone,

I sent a recorded copy of the letter asking for a true copy of the credit agreement enclosing a £1 postal order as suggested. I have checked today and it has been delivered which is great. I was just wondering as I have received a letter from Ruthbridge today which states various action they are going to take and to avoid this to contact them within 7 days with full payment. Is that not deemed as unfair practice according to the consumer act to ask for full selttlement of an unreasonable amount?

Hi everyone,

I sent a recorded copy of the letter asking for a true copy of the credit agreement enclosing a £1 postal order as suggested. I have checked today and it has been delivered which is great. I was just wondering as I have received a letter from Ruthbridge today which states various action they are going to take and to avoid this to contact them within 7 days with full payment. Is that not deemed as unfair practice according to the consumer act to ask for full selttlement of an unreasonable amount?

YES! Report their asses and copy them in :D

Just wondered if someone else can answer a quick question I have. The Debt that Ruthbridge is chasing is coming upto 6 years when I first defaulted, It has been very quiet over the last couple of years and wondered as it is coming upto this time if this is the reason they are piling on the pressure?

If the debt reaches the 6 years from the time I first defaulted is there any real legal action they can take? I read on another thread that once that time has passed they cannot inforce the debt or place a default or issue a CCJ, So what can they do after this time? I first defaulted at the end of 2003 I think a few years later I had an arrangement to pay back a very small amount a month which did not last long so is it from the time I first defaulted back in 2003 or the later when I was making the smaller payments?

Cheers for your help everyone.

Once it reaches the six years they cannot take any legal action.

They are probably piling on the pressure because of the time-frame yes, particularly if it comes into effect within the next couple of months because they won't have time to take any legal enforcement.