style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4035 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Guys.

I need some advice. I have got into a situation with my EDF bill and today when i got back home i had a letter to say they have come round to either disconnect or fit a prepay meter.

As i was not at home they have to now go to the local magistrates court to get a warrent of entry.

I have called EDF and said i can pay the full balance on the 30th of this month which they have noted but cant stop this process. How long does it take to get the warrent as i just need 18 days to play with and it will be clear

Thanks for any advice you can give

Should you receive a court date which falls before you have paid the bill be prepared to go and fight your corner, usually just showing up and indicating you wish to put your case will see it suspended as the court will have not allocated enough time for a challenge.

This is a much automated process unless someone throws a spanner in the works, i.e. by turning up. Two supermarket carrier bags bursting with things you intend to present to the court can't hurt.

I don’t *think* this will happen before you pay but it rests entirely on the sort of backlogs they have.

Ohh man that is bad.....these guys can get a warrant very easy...and can basically gain entry to your house once they get the warrant from the court. They only thing i'm not sure of is if they have to come with the police to get in your house. Your situation is messed up....surely they can wait until you get some money together but thats the british law for you. I hope it goes well for you...the law in the UK is an ass

Should you receive a court date which falls before you have paid the bill be prepared to go and fight your corner, usually just showing up and indicating you wish to put your case will see it suspended as the court will have not allocated enough time for a challenge.

This is a much automated process unless someone throws a spanner in the works, i.e. by turning up. Two supermarket carrier bags bursting with things you intend to present to the court can't hurt.

I don’t *think* this will happen before you pay but it rests entirely on the sort of backlogs they have.

Thank you for your reply and for not judging. I posted over at moneysaving expert and wish i had not. I know this is my fault and i need to fix it.

Thank you for your advice. I called EDF back after i posted and even though i really cant afford it and it has left me pretty skint i have paid 150 and they have said this should give me enough time to get the reast paid on the 30th which is my payday.

I just hope they are right.

Thanks again

Craig

Good luck! Don't forget to come back here if you need more help :)

I am not sure of the timescales but there are certain checks they need to do before going for a warrent of entry.

If you have paid a decent protion of the balance they should be able to setup a payment plan, the only reason they won't is if there have been several failed plans in the past.

BTW prepay meters are not neccesarily bad I had one a few years ago and found it helped me to reduce my usage. They are not suitable for everyone eg are there any vulnerable persons in the property? This is important because they can't disconnect or put in a prepay meter if there are young children, disabled or elderly persons.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

hiya, sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

I work within the same team for a rival energy company, you definately have enough time to make your payment and stop the action.

They must give 10 working days notice of the court date so you can arrange to attend, so thats already most of that time.

The Magistrate's courts are very busy everywhere in the country at the moment and the average waiting time for a hearing date is about 6 or 7 weeks, EDF won't have raised a warrant yet if they have only been on a pre-disconnection visit today.

If for any reason you cant pay the baalnce at the end of the month, call them and ask for a ppm to be installed as this will save you having to pay warrant costs on top of your outstanding balance.

Indebtstudent - a ppm can be fitted if there are young children at the property and depending on the disability a ppm may still be fitted,particularly if there is an able bodied adult who can mange to vend the meter, it is perfectly ok to fit a ppm