Occupational health

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in the private sector. Now I need to discuss with occup. health my health conditions. Previously it was not a problem but now they say I need a referral from my manager or HR dept. I do not want to tell my manager the details of my health conditions. I phoned HR and told them that I need a referral. They said they can't do it, it has to come via my manager. What can I do now? Any suggestions? Thank you very much for your advice.

Hi

Your manager has no right to your medical details what so ever and should be told so by occy health nor does hr,You can discus your health details with occy health but they cannot disclose this information to anyone,I would insist your medical details stay in the medical dept but you should also note any medical data you disclose oral or written can be put in your medical file,So be careful what you disclose i would not give your manager or hr any medical information they would not give theres to you i hope you understand what im saying,

If your medical condition will affect your work or if your work can exacerbate your condition, it is imperitive that your manager know about this so that reasonable adjustments to your job can be made.

If the Occupational Health department is contracted by your employers then yes your employers have a right to the report. They are paying for the referral and for the report, which your manager must see so that an appropriate risk assessment and reasonable adjustments can be made.

What they don't have a right to are your private medical records unless you give consent for it to be released to them.

Why wouldn't you want your manager to know? I have a condition where I need reasonable adjustments and although my manager is fully aware of my condition and has a copy of the medical report from occupational health, he has no knowledge of any other ailments I have had, only the one specific to my job.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi I work in the public sector and my Manager has been my best friend in getting me help.

I have been off sick since last September. He is in almost daily email contact,phones me with any news and takes me out for lunch at least once a month!

He is trying through my HR and a private health solutions company to get me ill health retirement. He knows about my condition and is very discreet.

Obviously not all managers are the same and in the private sector may not have the resources to be as understanding or helpful.

You may think my manager is a touchy feely person but nothing could be further from the truth. He hates malingerers,works very hard at his job and expects the same from his team. He is 56 a non drinker but always puts his hand in his pocket. He will regularly buy his team of 10 breakfast but expects and gets respect. Sorry this went a bit off theme and it looks like I`m in love with my manager but he is a one off. Maybe you have the same?

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

Eyeball...thats great for you and very glad you have such an understanding manager, but not all managers are like this sadly, ive had first hand experience.

Agatha, i would go via your GP, they can refer you to an Occupational Therapist; that way you dont need to disclose too much to work at the moment until you get some more advice etc.

Hope this helps :)

XXX Banking Plc: (Cant Disclose for Legal Reasons at the mo)

Sexual Discrimination/Breach of DPA 1998 Letter before Action Sent : 03/06/2009 :| (Delivered 05/06/2009)

<Response to settle to be received from them no later than 23/06/2009 or court papers filed>

Response received on 25/06/09 but dated 23/06/09

Tribunal CMD to be held via telephone on 31/08/09

Pre-Hearing Review Date to be set