You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• threads merged  please keep to one thread per issue.   dx  
    • read it proprly.. it doesn't say WILL anything and original creditors don't do court as they don't want the judge delving into their business model nor the bad publicity.   as for the FOS you just have to let it run. yours is a very short time since yo put it into them typically it always takes 6-9mts normally before they move on anything though they usually send you an ACK they have the complaint.        
    • Since the last post on this thread I have sent a complaint to the FOS but have not heard anything from them as yet either, I'm guessing they're rather snowed under and on reduced staff so no real surprise.   Still had nothing approaching help from lending stream but today they emailed me default notices for the loans, again demanding I phone them and pay up in full or they will begin court proceedings.   Any advice as to how I should proceed please?
    • Hi,   I received two PCNs in October 2019 from Havering Council. All the below applies to both PCNs, as the correspondences were at the same time:   Fast forward to February 2020, I file witness statements on grounds that I made representations within 28 days but did not receive a rejection notice.   The TEC cancelled charges.   Havering write to me asking for supporting evidence of representations that I made.   I email them screenshots with timestamps of the representations.   In early March Havering reply to me by email 'confirming receipt of email and both cases are now on hold pending an investigation. Please allow time for a full response to be sent.'   Fast forward to 18th June Havering write to me the attached:  Havering Charge Certificate.pdf   Now, it seems as though the sender of this letter is not up to date with both cases and is unaware of the TEC's decisions, as well as the email correspondence.   My questions are, 1) What should I do next? and 2) Is there a way to use their misstep to avoid paying for the PCN entirely?   Thank you.
    • New app launched by Veteran owned UK     READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-app-launched-by-veteran-owned-uk
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
Sparky6430

Hamptons/Lowells threatening letters

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4009 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, first off great forum.

Last year I emigrated to America, I knew that when I arrived the visa I had would only allow me to work for 90 days then I would have to apply to immigration for a 'proper' work permit which could take months to arrive. My only source of income in the mean time would be my armed forces pension which isn't a massive amount.

I had outstanding balances owed to Littlewoods Personal Finance (£1000) and Capital One (£750) when I left the country and wrote to both companies explaining the situation and asking whether they would be understanding that I would probably not be able to afford the monthly payments for a while until I was settled. I gave them my address in the US and then proceeded to get on with my new life. Previous to leaving the country I had temporarily moved back into my mothers house and that was were my mail was being sent at that time. After 2 months of being in America I had not heard from either company and nothing had arrived at my mothers address apart from the usual monthly bills so I wrote again to both companies again explaining my situation. I heard nothing and must admit I put it to the back of my mind as I was having enough trouble trying to find work etc in America. I did ask my mother if anything had arrived from either company but she assured me that it had not, only the usual junk mail with she diligently shredded and binned for me!

Anyway now to the point of my post (sorry for being long winded) last week I had to return to the UK for a family emergency and whilst I was back at my mums a few letters arrived for me from Lowells DCA (3 in 4 days), according to their letters they had been trying to contact me for a while with reference to the debt owed to Barclaycard via Littlewoods Finance. I must admit in my mothers defense the letters did look like junk mail so she had probably shredded and binned them without realising. Then on Friday a letter arrived from Hamptons threatening me with legal action saying that I now owed £1499 and could face another £233 in legal fees. I am worried sick about this as I am still out of work in America and with my wifes wages and my pension we are barely keeping our heads above water as it is.

I would like to pay off the debt but cannot afford much per month at this moment in time, what should I do first? I will be going back to America next month and don't want a court case hanging over me :(

Thanks in advance for any advice

well for a start they are DCA's

they have no LEGAL POWERS and can do nothing to you bar sending threat-o-grams.

also they [dca's] cannot add charges or fees or interest.

how old are the debts and whwn was the last time you used the card or paid anything off?

my thoughts lie with an sar to each and reclaim the charges and ppi i bet you have also been lumbered with by the oc.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Hamptons are just another desk in the Lowell threat centre (along with Red)

They have no legal powers to money off you whatsoever.

They wont go anywhere near a court, just rely on threats that you pay up.

Tell them to go away & report them to the OFT/trading standards.

Hi there, i am going through the same system at the moment with Lowells, otherwise none as Hamptons Legal, have already sent CCA and had reply letter from them, perhaps you could look at my threads,as i am also dealing with Capital One aswell.

Hope this helps a bit Steve

Ignore them - send the letters back "not at this address".

Once you are back in the US these cretins have no right to enforce anything against you UNLESS they do so in America - highly unlikely due to the cost. The CCA1974 does not apply and CANNOT be enforced in the US!!!!

If they were to get a CCJ against you, then you can apply for this to be set-aside and struck off - they can only issue proceedings if you are able to defend (which you will not be able to).

Don't worry about the Leeds Losers.......:)

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

I suggest you also check out the Ex-pat Focus forums Expat Focus - Forums - Expat Issues (scroll down for country specific forums) - Personal Finance (scroll down for country specific forums) - Personal Finance is a very common topic of discussion & they should be able to answer all your questions from their own experiences.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Thanks very much to all who have replied, the advice you have given has eased my worries enormously.

In answer to dx100uk, the debts are from 2007 which is the last time I used the cards and I made my last payments on them in March last year.

Also thanks for the expats link, I am sure that will be a goldmine of info' not just for this issue.

You all do a great job, keep up the fantastic work!