DVLA/DVLNI Tax Problems

kitkat80
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My vehicle was originally purchased in Northern Ireland and registered with DVLNI but I moved to the UK and then registered it with DVLA.

I then sold the vehicle in Northern Ireland, left my original UK address and moved to London.

As I was in London, my Dad sorted out the sale but gave the registration documents to the new owner to post (stupid, I know!). We assumed everything was ok because we never heard anything - this is probably because the vehicle was registered at my old address where I no longer live. The car was sold in November 2008, and the tax expired in December 2009.

Last week I received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery saying I owned £80 to the DVLA in unpaid fine. It was sent to my parents address - the vehicle was never registered at this address but I use it for some of my correspondance. I rang them up and they said my car was not taxed and not declared off-road (they also said I had a Ford Focus, when it was a fiesta, but according to them, that doesn't matter).

I've paid the fine but I'm worried that this will only be the start of it. I'm concerned that even if the vehicle it taxed in Northern Ireland through DVLNI, that I'm still the registered keeper in the UK. Is that possible? Surely the 2 organisations must have some communication.

Also, what can I do to make sure I'm no longer liable for the vehicle? I don't have the registration documents, and I'm not even sure if my Dad has the new owners name. I'm a student at the moment and I really can't afford to be paying any more fines.

Edited by kitkat80

No it cannot be registered in Coleraine and Swansea at the same time. They are treated as 'exported' between the two conuntries and you should have completed the 'export' slip to allow the NI buyer to get a new V5CNI, which would be straighforward as they would still have the pld records.

Since there isn;t the same pass-the-parcel required to provide for continuous registration, you may find the ONLY reason you've been hit with the fine was because you didn't send the DVLA the Exported slip - which is why you should not have paid it (as this effectively means you agreed with their claim). To put your mind at rest, email DVLANI with the VRM and ask them to confirm to you that the vehicles has indeed benn registered back 'home' and pass this confirmation to DVLA who MAY call off the dogs...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Im in a similar sort of situation. I bought a car last week and when i tried to tax it i was advised that the dvlni had no record of the car - they also had no confirmation from the previous owner that they were no longer the registered keeper.

At the minute i am waitin on the dvlni to get in contact with the previous owners. Have you any advice for me on this matter?

Are you resident in NI...? Did you have the current V5CNI...? It is true some folk have their cars registered to GB addresses, in which case the DVLNI won't have a record, but you can always ask the DVLA to see if they have it listed...!

yes im a resident in the UK. I only have section 10 of the tax book. The person I bought the car off bought the car from england however he did not register the car in his name as the car already had tax - he acquired the car in january.

If the DVLNI cannot get in contact with the last registered owner where do I stand from there.

It is not clear from your post who is saying they cannot contact the RK - this is never an issue. You dimply apply for a new V5C, pay the fee and the DVLA/DVLANI sent a standard letter to the last known keeper advising them of the change. 21 to 28 days later you get the V5C in your name and off you go.

If the DVLA say they have no record of the vehicle, then you need to get the Certificate from DVLANI - this is slightly more complex because they cannot issue a V5CNI to a non BT Postcode. They must have some mechanism where they can provide a pro-forma V5 to a new RK, to permit a UK re-registration. Incidentally, they treat it as an import - not just a switch of jurisdiction.

all you need is the green slip of the log book you can go to any tax office ie if like me live in larne then ballymeana is the one for you.

you need the green part of the log book insurance and the fee for your tax they will only register it to ni only if you tax it.

dont send the log book in thinking that you will get the log book out this also applies both ways ie northern ireland to uk.

or uk to northern ireland.

ive brought a couple of cars from the mainland to northern ireland.

also not best advice but if its taxed and only one month or two left run the tax out before transfering as they will want you to surrender the tax to swansea then apply for new northern ireland tax.

the dvlni are saying at present the cannont register the car as the previous owner has not declared the sale to the owner before me who did not declare that they bought the car. therefore the car I bought has been with two owners in northern ireland (including myself) since jan however it is still registered in England.

The DVLNI took the payment for the tax from me and a fee of £25 for the new book so does this mean i can still drive the car even though I dont have the tax book or certificate?

im not sure on that what car is it wouldnt be a vw bora would it.#

its funny howthey are refusing to do new log book you may need to get legal advise. do you have a recite for the car from the owner or any contact from the previus person.

Still not sorted. Are YOU based in NI or the UK? If the latter, you only sent payment to your 'home DMV'. If registered by the DVLA (Swansea) request that you be supplied with a replacement V5 - who the previous keepers are are an irrelevance. Providing you retain the documentation and correspondence trail, until the current tax disc runs out, you're OK because the matter is 'in hand'.

I just had word this morning that the DVLNI have got in contact with the previous owener and they will be sending the documentation out within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for your advice. Confusing situation I know.

Regarding the tax, the cars tax expired at the end of june.

Keep it WELL away from the public road (and any maintained under public expense). Until you have a valid tax disc, you're a prime candidate for ANPR and a fine (as you cannot be sure when the responsibility will pass to you).

They'll refund it easily enough - the offence is 'failure to display' and if they haven't sent you a disc you're at risk. Once they work out who is supposed to send you a disk, they probably refund it so you can apply with DVLA as appropriate.

I've just moved from NI to England, and needed to tax my car. Spoke to DVLA, who told me to fill in the change of address section of the V5, and tax as normal. At the Post Office, all went well until they tried to issue the tax disc, at which point the computer produced a box saying 'do not issue tax disc - refer owner to DVLA'. Naturally, it is impossible to get through, so I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Coleraine and Swansea are not connected, you're really importing your car, so it is NOT a simple change of address. You need to send your V5C to Swansea and ask for the Regustration to be transferred to GB.

Update.

I finally got through to DVLA, and was directed to a DVLA office. Told no forms needed.

Told by the dragon on reception to fill in a form for new V5, so did so.

When my number was called, handed docs over, asked if I wanted to keep NI number, and told new V5 form not required (saving £25) - the change can be actioned by the change of address on my NI V5. It has to be done at a DVLA office because they get a fax confirmation from DVLNI that the vehicle is registered there, then issue the tax disk and new V5 by post.

Pain, but now sorted.