You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

sportsflash1

How long can an alleged debt stay in dispute?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4022 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A credit card debt has been sold on to a DCA. The alleged debt is over 6 years old but isn't statute barred as payments were made to the OC and then the DCA.

When requested, the DCA managed to come up with a CCA that could well be enforcable. Following general advice on here - a SAR (Subject Access Request) is sent to the OC. But there isn't much info as the alleged debt is over 6 years old.

The DCA is informed that the alleged debt is in dispute, and have been quiet since.

How long can this go on for? - The alleged debt would have consisted of a lot of unlawful charges with interest added. But over 6 years old so can't be reclaimed. But I expect the DCA to start chasing again sooner or later.

Any ideas?

Subbing..

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

I may be wrong, but I think they can chase you for ever, though after 6 years of non payment it becomes sb. I'm sure Bankfodder had done some work on claiming charges beyond 6 years?

If, after sending the SB letter, they still keep chasing, could that then be classed as harrassment and dealt with accordingly?

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

If after 6 years from the last payment, you are still be chased then inform them that they are chasing an alleged debt that is statute barred.

In the instance persist after being informed of the SB status then contact trading standards who can prosecute under the Administration Of Justice Act. It would be an idea to mention this both to the DCA, and the owner of the alleged SB debt if it is a separate creditor.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

who can prosecute under the Administration Of Justice Act.

Err....I think you mean the CPUTR '08.

You need to show harassment. What is harassment? Well, errr...its...ummm....

Thanks for your input everyone - I think I might have made my question a bit of a muddle by mentioning the statute barred aspect.

I have often seen people advised on this site to send a SAR to the original creditor if a DCA produces an enforcable CCA. Since a large portion of the debt would consist of unlawful charges.

The SAR I recieved was really just some statements, there were no copies of any letters or default notice or anything else - I did ask but was assured that was everything.

It just seems to me that we have reached a stalemate. I can't claim on unlawful charges and don't have enough information on the alleged debt. As I said before, the DCA have gone quiet since I told them of the dispute, but I can't see them staying quiet for long. I just want to know where I stand and how long I can hold them with the "in dispute" argument.

Thanks again.

You can keep them in dispute until the debt does indeed go Stat Barred. Unfortunately, though they aren't supposed to chase debts that are in dispute, they will do anyway :mad: Report them to the OFT and Trading Standards if they do.