Appealing a DLR Penalty Fare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I received a penalty fare today on the DLR for not producing a valid ticket but this was a genuine mistake as i had forgotten my oyster card which contains a monthly ticket on. I advised the ticket inspector that my gf could travel back to my home and bring my valid oyster card but she refused (We travelled from Island Garden to Cutty Sark which is 1 station) I have constructed the letter below but i was wondering if there was anything else i should include:

(My address etc)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to appeal the enclosed penalty fare notice (DL 0062704) i received on 18.20 on Saturday 11th July 2009 for my journey from Island Garden DLR station to Cutty Sark DLR Station. The penalty notice was issued on the basis that i did not produce a valid ticket for my journey but i would like to appeal this fine on the grounds that i had genuinely forgetten to bring my Oyster card with me.

My oyster card no.( xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) registered to me Mr (Name) contains a monthly season ticket for Zones 1 & 2 which would have been valid for this journey indicates that there would be no need for any fare evasion. I have also enclosed my receipt for the latest transaction for my oyster card (£99.10 monthly zone 1 & 2) which was purchased from Moorgate underground station on the 3rd July 2009. This transaction would have enabled me to travel anywhere within Zones 1 & 2 within the period 5th July 2009 to 4th August 2009.

With the evidence supplied i would like to ask you to re-consider the fine on the grounds that a genuine mistake had ocurred. I would also like to request that all letters from this point onwards to be forwarded to the following address:

(Work address)

Should you have any questions you can contact me on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or my mobile xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I look forward to your response.

Well im gonna send this letter in and see where it takes me! If i send this letter in within the 21 day period and the appeal is rejected, do i still get time to pay the original £25 or would i have to pay the £50?

Well im gonna send this letter in and see where it takes me! If i send this letter in within the 21 day period and the appeal is rejected, do i still get time to pay the original £25 or would i have to pay the £50?

Yes. A simple explanation of the whole process follows:

This only applies if you receive a numbered Penalty Fare Notice on DLR at the time of travel.

If you do not receive a letter advising that your appeal has been successful, the penalty notice is still in force.

If your appeal is received by the DLR Penalty Fares Administrator within due time and is subsequently rejected, you will have to pay the £25.00 penalty not later than the revised payment date that they give in the letter that advises you that your appeal has failed.

Subsequently, if the £25.00 is not paid by the specified date the penalty automatically increases to £50.00 and if that then remains unpaid beyond 21 days or so, the case will be referred to their prosecutors for further action.

If you are reported for fare evasion, a form will be filled out, but there will not be a penalty fare notice handed to you at the time of travel.

Edited by Old-CodJA

I was handed a penalty fare notice and have sent me letter in today recorded delivery! Im hoping that as this was my first time and a honest mistake they would show some leniency and dismiss the fine.