You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

madartist

Help with identity of mysterious doorstep visitor from BarclayCard

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4009 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Yesterday, whilst my OH and myself were out. My teenage son answered the door to a man who claimed he was from Barclaycard and my OH had requested that they visit to confirm his contact details. My son then confirmed the address and then gave them my OH's mobile number.:( The man had ID hanging round his neck but did not offer to show it.

My OH has a Barclaycard account which has just gone into arrears but not passed to a DCA. We do however owe Barclays Business £32k for an unsecured business loan which has been passed onto Wescot (letter coincidentally arrived this morning informing us of this)

We live in a remote valley in Snowdonia so the man could not have been a cold caller (unless he was feeling adventurous!). He apparently had a list with quite a few names & addresses on it.

My OH rang Barclaycard but was passed to various departments and then he was cut off so gave up. He did get as far as the Collections departmntwhom he will ring after work today.

As anyone had a similar experience? I presume this contravenes legislation regarding visits from a DCA if indeed he was from such an organisation?

I'm sure whoever it was will contact my OH via his mobile and the mystery will be solved!:confused:

i will guess this was just someone varifing he did live there

not dca or anything . dunno what the are called but they have been mention on this forum many times.

i certainly wouldn't ring anyone ever.

do it all in writing

esp 'wescott' if they ever appear on the phone.!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Many thanks dx. will pass on your advise to my OH. We won't be communicating with wescot via phone as there is now way on earth we can afford to pay back Barclays (the original business loan was for £12k!). We recently closed down the business (read my thread on barclays taking my benefits for some background info on this one)

Just puzzled how anyone could have found the place, as usually sat nav stops at the bottom of the hill. We are marked on an os map though, so they may be skilled at map reading LOL;)

Report them to the OFT.

If he turns up again ring the police.

If we find out who it was we will certainly report them to the OFT. Luckily my son is nearly 18 and fairly taciturn (be surprised if the man could understand him!) Did wonder if they were sussing out the place (see what the bailiff's could seize)..its a big house but rented...ha ha...with 2 old bangers in the drive...ha :lol: ha!

My immediate reaction would be to report the matter to the Police, not only will they give you a reference number, but, it 'might'....'might' just be that a number of other people living in the area have reported the same thing also, and the Police can then investigate as it may be some bogus scrote trying to find out if there is any chance of elderly living there.

However, it probably was a gopher from sharklays, and in that case as has already been said, a formal complaint to the OFT The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

And use Sharklays full complaints procedure.:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Many thanks for all your advice. Have just phoned the police who have taken it seriously. They did tell us that it sounds quite suspicious as credit card companies don't normally act like this. DCA's do though but my son is convinced he said barclaycard not Barclays. The house is quite large and it looks (apart from the crappy cars outside) that we could have money...ha ha!! Anyway the local police will keep an eye on the place..bit scary really!

I can lend you my 12 bore?

Or lend you my mums Bull Mastiff! This one is proven as well, as she had a burglar last year, and when she came home 4 hours later, the dog was still clamped to the burglars arm, and he was pleading for her to 'get it off, get it off':lol:

• Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ooh yes please...the bull mastiff sounds like a star. We've got a border collie who's started barking at the walkers going past our gate. Might start training him to respond to words like 'debt collection' in readiness for the gophers from Sharkleys (nice name!!) if they ever decide to get their boots on & trek up here:D

Hi madartist,

You're definitely doing all the right things.If anyone else turns up, get their car registration and phone the police straight away!

Barclaycard sent someone from Scotcall to my house a few times, but my local police were very helpful and saw them off good and proper.

Good luck.Patma

Ooh yes please...the bull mastiff sounds like a star. We've got a border collie who's started barking at the walkers going past our gate. Might start training him to respond to words like 'debt collection' in readiness for the gophers from Sharkleys (nice name!!) if they ever decide to get their boots on & trek up here:D

The Beauty of Bull Mastiffs is they just won't bark until your about five feet in front of them, by then it's just too late, you have a 12 stone dog lock jawed around your arm! Unless of course you have been fattening her up!:D

if its barclaycard then it could be someone from mercers their inhouse threatmonkeys, but not heard of them doing this before, they tend to rely on constant phone calls

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

Off subject but funny. I once had a cat that was really nasty, had a guy call trying to sell me security shutters, told him I didnt need them and he sarcastically said "why? have you got a dog" No a cat I replied he laughed so I invited him in. My cat went berserk and the last I saw of the guy was him running down my drive pouring of blood with my cat firmly attached to his neck. Joy!!!

Dont let the parasite dca's prosper