Channel 4 Dispatches to air debt collection exposé

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Marlin Financial Services et al undercover report.

Now available to watch online if you missed it.

>>>>>> Dispatches - 4oD - Channel 4

Also to be repeated on:

Wednesday 22 July, 11.05PM More4

Thursday 23 July, 3.15AM More4

Friday 24 July, 4AM Channel 4

Credit Today online

Dispatches to air debt collection exposé - 10/07/2009

A Channel 4 Dispatches reporter has gone undercover in a debt collection agency for a programme that will air on 20 July, Credit Today has learned.

Presented by Jane Moore, Channel 4 said the programme reveals "some of the tactics deployed to get debtors to pay up, and talks to those unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of this treatment". Earlier this year, Dispatches reporter Tom Randall got a job as a debt collector inside "one of the UK’s fastest growing agencies".

The programme is understood to also focus on the sale of debt portfolios. "Some of the biggest high street businesses are cutting their losses and selling on their bad debts to agencies for as little as sixteen pence in the pound," it said. "Agencies who buy up these debts are entitled to pursue debtors for the full amount. In this multi billion pound industry the stakes are high, and Dispatches reveals the lengths collectors will go to, to recover their debts."

Kurt Obermaier, executive director of the Credit Services Association, confirmed that a CSA member had made the trade body aware of the situation. He said the company had the correct policies in place for collections but individual employees appeared to have deviated from them. He was not able to reveal the identity of the agency.

Credit Today understands that allegations include collection professionals putting undue pressure on vulnerable debtors, making premature threats of bankruptcy and chasing third parties and statue barred debts.

Edited by fermi

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt Obermaier, executive director of the Credit Services Association, confirmed that a CSA member had made the trade body aware of the situation. He said the company had the correct policies in place for collections but individual employees appeared to have deviated from them. He was not able to reveal the identity of the agency.

Credit Today understands that allegations include collection professionals putting undue pressure on vulnerable debtors, making premature threats of bankruptcy and chasing third parties and statue barred debts.

-------

Bring it on, wonder who it is??

my bets are on

1st Crapit

CrapQuest

Funny how it is always an "error" or individuals not towing the company line. Agressive and illegal tatics are endemic throughout the whole corrupt fina ncial industry, including mainstream banks, and the time to do something about it is long overdue.

Would be good to find out.

Having said that doesn't matter what tactics they use if you know what they are allowed and not allowed to do they will never get anywhere with you.

United we stand against these mugs!

Kurt Obermaier, executive director of the Credit Services Association, confirmed that a CSA member had made the trade body aware of the situation. He said the company had the correct policies in place for collections but individual employees appeared to have deviated from them...

Tell me the old old story...

To air on C4, Monday 20th July at 8pm by the looks of it.

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Kurt Obermaier, executive director of the Credit Services Association, confirmed that a CSA member had made the trade body aware of the situation. He said the company had the correct policies in place for collections but individual employees appeared to have deviated from them...

Tell me the old old story...

I almost wet myself when I read that. No wonder Kurt has thrown in the towel and decided to quit the CSA.

The only thing that's really surprising is that there might actually still be people around who are gullible enough to believe that these parasites normally act within the law and collection guidelines.

Always a 'oversight', 'fault in the system', 'rogue individual' or 'acting in good faith upon information we now know to be inaccurate and misleading' was one of my particular favourites.

What will it take for the OFT and people in authority to wake up to the fact that bad practice and downright unlawful actions by debt collectors is NOT exceptional, it has become the norm.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Obermaier's usual reply....."Oh, no, it's not us Guv!!"

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Kurt Obermaier, executive director of the Credit Services Association, confirmed that a CSA member had made the trade body aware of the situation. He said the company had the correct policies in place for collections but individual employees appeared to have deviated from them.

Having the correct policies in place is of no use whatever unless management ensure compliance. If Herr Obermaier's weasel words are supposed to be some sort of excuse for the CSA member failing to comply with its obligations, he's doing a particularly poor job. The company is still responsible for compliance, and should ensure it supervises its staff properly.

I wonder if English isn't his first language. In order to assist, then:

Sehr Geehrter Herr Obermaier

Ihre Entschuldigungen sind schwach. Lesen Sie bitte Ferguson v. British Gas Trading (2009), die alles klarstellen. Sie können das CSA herauf Ihr Band haften, ohne Vaseline.

Ihnen Unglück wünschen

Das Scharlachrot Pimpernel

Im auftrag der Verbraucher Aktions-Gruppe

• Haha 1

I'd say the quote of 16p in the pound for debts being sold on is grossly over estimated (In some cases) more like 5p in the £ ...

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

I'd say the quote of 16p in the pound for debts being sold on is grossly over estimated (In some cases) more like 5p in the £ ...

,,,or less.

Nobody should pay a single shiny brass farthing to the purchasers until it has been tested in Law.

Just an opinion. :)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

The shock of it, Kurt Obermaier & the CSA no doubt will exclude this DCA from its membership for bringing their trade into disrepute. Second thoughts, they won't do that will they? Of course not because if they did they would have to do it to all of their members that circumvent the law and various other bodies official guidelines, they'd have no members left.

Could this DCA who is being 'outed' possibly be one that's on the market which no-one wants to touch with a barge-pole?

Whoever it is, it will be interesting to see whether they try to obtain an injunction against C4 to prevent the airing of the program. They will be able to do what they do best & rachet up their 'threat-o-matic' machine to full speed. :rolleyes:

Whichever DCA it is, I would have hated to have been in their particular nursery when the toys started flying. :D

The shock of it, Kurt Obermaier & the CSA no doubt will exclude this DCA from its membership for bringing their trade into disrepute. Second thoughts, they won't do that will they? Of course not because if they did they would have to do it to all of their members that circumvent the law and various other bodies official guidelines, they'd have no members left.

When attempting to calculate the likelihood of the CSA censuring, let alone expelling, a miscreant member, remember this:

The Chairman of the CSA is the CEO of 1st Credit, a company who have done at least as much as any other to bring their industry into disrepute. He did not think that being responsible for major non-compliance was grounds to resign. I can't be bothered to check, but I should not be at all surprised to find that most, if not all, of the main DCAs are involved in running the CSA.

Asinus asinum fricat, as they say.

Our bombers are over Berlin, Herr Obermaier - you're a Dutchman.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks