You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Tom87

Britannia Grand Burstin Hotel, Folkestone

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4015 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Just returned from one hell of a hotel stay that I feel compelled to write about to warn others! I couldn't get the "add a review" bit to work (was a dead link, mods feel free to move if there is a better place for this).

The hotel is in a very convenient location close to the docks of Folkestone and Dover, and to the Eurotunnel terminal, which we were using. Sadly that is all the good that can be said of this 'hotel'.

It is in a dodgy and run-down part of town. The 'private and secure' underground car park was teeming with unpleasant-looking people smoking drugs, drinking and staring into people's cars. We were scared to leave our car there and moved it before going to bed.

We checked in fairly easily, but they have a draconian and untrusting policy whereby guests are not allowed to leave the hotel with their room keys under any circumstances, we had to drop them in a box at the reception. Under any circumstances even meant to go to our car to bring our suitcase in. By the time we had done that, there was a huge queue at reception and we had to wait 15 minutes just to get our room key back.

The room was big and had a view over the sea, but the bathroom was absolutely appalling, frankly we should have asked for our money back. The bath and plug hole were covered in hairs, obviously it had not been cleaned. The toilet roll had not been changed and had an ominous brown stain across it. Upon tentatively nearing our noses, it was clear what the brown stain was. There was no bin in the bathroom so all private hygienic articles had to be disposed of in the open-topped bin in the bedroom. The bedsheet was also dirty, had a mysterious yellow stain, which we insisted was changed.

The restaurants close very early (7:30pm). We had had a long journey and only arrived at about 7 so had to rush our food. The food was average, nothing else to say about it. It was clearly aimed at elderly people I'm afraid: vegetables overboiled to a pulp, stew, and mushy puddings, this in mid-June.

The breakfast resembled an army camp. All the food was in enormous metal vats and trays and was very basic. The bacon was half-roar and the fried eggs burnt to a crisp. I am not at all a fussy eater and eat almost anything, and I love a good English fry-up, but I had to draw a line at some of the things here, I wouldn't feed it to my cat.

At £20 pppn including breakfast, it is attractive if you are on a budget, but also the staff used the price to make us feel guilty and ungrateful when we complained. I regret not pushing it further, but I'm back home now and still alive.

To sum it up, this hotel is a cross between an old people's home and a prison/army camp. I have stayed in hostels in desperately poor parts of the developing world that can still provide a clean bedsheet and unstained loo roll. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Do they have any stars/ratings from an organisation such as the RAC Or AA if so complain to them.