• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Welshman v Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello welshman, this is jacqui. been silent for some weeks now because i was on holiday. Congratulations! Where can i find out how you came about winning?. I came back to see the shocking letter from the court that my case has been set for March 12th against Barclays. To be honest i am very terrified at he moment when i think of it. i have got to get all the paper work ready for that. any help or advice will be highly appreciated. thanks. jacqui

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello welshman, this is jacqui. been silent for some weeks now because i was on holiday. Congratulations! Where can i find out how you came about winning?Page 9 Post #173 onwards.. I came back to see the shocking letter from the court that my case has been set for March 12th against Barclays. They'll try and settle by the end of February in my opinion. To be honest i am very terrified at he moment when i think of it. i have got to get all the paper work ready for that. any help or advice will be highly appreciated. thanks. jacqui

Claimants should leave it until at least two weeks from the Court date before contacting them and even then, make sure you know how to handle them.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

Also my hearing does not say a 'directions hearing like read for others. just a hearing in march. jacqui

If youre in doubt, a call to the court should answer your question :)

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

Hi, I have been building up the courage to proceed against Barclays and take heart from your success. I sent off the first letter on the 16th Jan 2007 and my wife received a telephone call from them on the 18th asking why I had sent a cheque for £10 because Barclays did not have an account to pay it into and would I contact the lady in question by phone.

Its not my intention to do this , but just keep to timescales and writtten responses only. Do you agree? Beacon

If youre in doubt, a call to the court should answer your question :)

thanks. will do that. another question pls. where do i go to get the template that will automatically calculate the interest owed me on my £2400+ claimed, as well as adding the court fees to that. sorry i misread my case date. its on 7th of march i think. so i gather i should call them about 2 weeks before this to request if they are ready to settle on the full amount with the above additions , right?

thanks. jacqui

thanks. will do that. another question pls. where do i go to get the template that will automatically calculate the interest owed me on my £2400+ claimed, as well as adding the court fees to that. sorry i misread my case date. its on 7th of march i think. so i gather i should call them about 2 weeks before this to request if they are ready to settle on the full amount with the above additions , right?

thanks. jacqui

Have you got your own thread? You should have done all this already? :confused:

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

Welshman

When you ring Barclays 2 weeks prior to court date, to ask them to settle......what exactly do you say to them?

Post 173 onwards in this thread answers your questions but I suggest that if you have to ask what to say, that you wait until they contact you.

You are still in charge of your case - they are on the defensive. You have to be firm when speaking to them.

• Haha 1

Welshman

Hello Welshman!

Many congratulations on your win!!

I've just come across this thread and have spent an hour reading it - you have made it easier to understand as this claiming business is quite mind boggling.

I have received my Acknowledgment of Service and am now very nervous as to the next step. I'll collate all of my papers and wait to hear from the Court.

Cheers!

Hello Welshman or whoever can help!

I want to file a court claim MCOL But cant find a link that actually sends it online direct to the court, How do i do this please??

My case is:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/49807-bluenose81huskys-barclays.html

Thanks

Richie

MANY THANKS,

BLUE.

Barclays:

Data Protection letter sent 22/11/06

Prelim approach letter sent £1720.00 22/12/06

Bank offers me £1000.00 to settle 20/01/07

LBA sent 23/01/07

New charges added

MCOL filed £1780 + £310.26 + £120.00 = £2210.26 09/02/07

Court Date Walsall County Court: 17/07/2007

Barclays Case Settled and *WON* before court

Halifax:

Data Protection letter sent 28/11/06

Prelim approach letter sent £1325.00 08/02/07

Halifax Case Settled and *WON* before Court

Here you go - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp . You must register first then go to the Step by Step Instructions section in this site for information as to how to fill it in.

Fill in the forms which are quite straightforward and in the particulars of claim, the text I used was:

"The Claimant had a contract with the Defendant Your account number here from Approximate date account opened which was conducted on their standard terms and conditions. The Claimant claims the return of £ amount before adding % age levied by the defendant in the way of charges. The charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs 1999, Para 8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty, they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. The defendant has been asked to justify the charges but they have declined to do so. The Claimant claims interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from Date of the first of their charges against you to Date of the last charge of £ place the 8% figure here and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of multiply your amount before interest by 0.0002 and put here (Mine is £0.45).

Tick No for Human Rights Issues.

The Addresses you need to send the copies of the schedule are:

For Barclays:

Barclays Legal and Compliance

Level 29

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

And for MCOL it’s

The Court Manager

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Good Luck

Welshman

Cheers Welshman, magic stuff!!

MANY THANKS,

BLUE.

Barclays:

LBA sent 23/01/07

New charges added

Halifax:

Hi Back again i need to know is the amount claimed on the mcol the charges plus the 8 percent or just the charges??

Thanks again

MANY THANKS,

BLUE.

Barclays:

LBA sent 23/01/07

New charges added

Halifax:

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to double check what i'm doing with you, i am currently claiming from Barclays Bank. I have just completed my claim form on Moneyclaim, although I have not yet submitted it as I wanted to check first.

I sent my letter to Barclays saying I would accept their offer of £1000 as a partial offer, but will continue to claim for the outstanding amount, they responded saying that they are not willing to do this and will only pay me £1000.

So, on the claim formni the section where I am asked for 'particulars of claim' I entered the following (as on the Martin Lewis website);

1. Between the dates of [insert dates of first and last charge] the Defendant applied numerous default charges to the Claimant’s [This means you because you are the person claiming the money] bank account.

2. The charges applied constitute an unfair penalty under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations, which state: “A term is unfair if it requires any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation”. The amount charged does not reflect the cost of the breach.

3. Under the law of penalties, the charges are an unlawful ‘extravagant’ penalty. Referring to the case of 1896, Wilson v Love, a charge is a penalty if it does not reflect an item’s true cost.

4. Under the County Courts Act 1984, the claimant is entitled to interest at a rate of 8% per annum from the date they were first deprived of the money to the date of this claim. This amounts to a total sum of [insert amount of interest], continuing to accrue at the statutory daily rate of 0.021% until judgment or earlier payment.

5. The Claimant therefore asks the court to enter judgment in their favour for the sum of [insert total charges] plus interest, amounting to a total of [insert total charges plus interest].

I have read so many threads about how to add 'extra info' in with lots of legal jargon, although I think this is an excellent thing to do I don't understand a lot of it and would rather just go with what I do understand and keep it simple.

My question is, is the above ok? Should I be doing anything else?

Once I submit my online claim, presumably I just wait the 14 days to hear from Barclays and go from there?

Thank you to any one who might be able to help me.

Two points , if I may:

Firstly I would STRONGLY advise that you use the wording from the templates library on this site (see here). It's tried and tested, it works.

Secondly (and very important) you should start your own thread. With your own thread, people can see your whole case as it develops and it will become a focus for all the help and advice you need. You can either copy your post accross to your new thread to start it off; or, once you have started it, you can contact a moderator to have your posts collected together.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Hello,

Don't mean to hijack your thread here people.... But a very quick question.....

I have sent off my prelim letter, got back the usual offer of just under half. In my first (prelim) letter i gave them an additional 14 days.

I should have sent of my LBA last friday. I have been too poorly to do anything this week. Should i send off the letter and give them an additional 14 days from now - or stick to the original 28 days deadline???

Once again - sorry to intrude...

HD

I asked barclays end of january for £1000 back in bank charges and i recieved a letter 2day saying they will give me £510 back.pah no way am i accepting that so i have now asked for my statements and included the £10 cheque and i will b calculating what i am owed and will be asking for more.As they see fir to charge me over £90 in bank charges a month!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi welshman - not been on the site much recently. You always seem to have your ear to the ground. I am going to start a new claim against the bloodsucking Barclays over the additions account charges. Along the lines of requiring strict proof that we signed up for it (not) and seeing if we can these caharges refunded or at least an offer. Know of any threads or users who have done this.

Cheers

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

Hi, I am new to all this re-claiming bank charges and things seemed to have moved rather fast. I have already found myself about to complete an allocation questionnaire and am attempting to prepare to construct a court bundle. How on earth anyone manages to get 250 pages I don't know. I'm also concerned that the relevant cases section appears to be quite dated, am I supposed to change these/update them? Basically is there anyone that would be willing to show me their court bundle so I could learn from it?

Nikki

• 1 month later...