• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Welshman v Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

jacquilottin,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here,

to keep track of your thread:

1) Click on your user name in the above posts (just above 'Basic Account Customer') - A Menu will open where you can select "Find More Posts by jacquilottin" or "Find all posts by..." click this and you will see all the posts you have made.

2) One of these will be your thread (Jacquilottin vs barclays or whatever you called it) click to bring this one up

3) At the top of each post at the right-hand end of the dark blue bar, you'll see the post number (your last one in this thread is 152) and a 'permalink' link. Click the Permalink to load your thread into your browser, then select Ctrl-D to add a bookmark/favourite for your thread (or use the Favourites/Bookmarks menu, depending on your Web browser)

HTH

Vince

"Well, as through this world I've rambled

I've seen lots of funny men.

Some will rob you with a six-gun

And some with a fountain pen."

Pretty Boy Floyd, Woody Guthrie 1940

"Some things never change", Vince 2006

All advice given is based on my reading of others' experiences on this site. I am not a lawyer, nor am I a beagle, a grapefruit or a trampoline. I will not be filed, sorted, classified or parboiled. I am not a number, I am not an animal, I am the walrus (goob goob a joob)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Welshman

I have received the same letter as you. His Honour Judge G Hickenbottom will give directions on 21 December 2006.

Are you planning to appear or make representations? Perhaps if all those who have received this letter agreed to appear Barclays may be forced to make an early settlement offer.

Claiming £865 from Barclays.

6 years of statements already on file (never threw them out)

Preliminary letter sent 10/08/06

£420 Offer received from Laurence White on 30/08/06

Letter of rejection sent 06/09/06

LBA sent 21/09/06

MCOL Submitted 4/10/06

Acknowledged on 23/10/06 - Barclays have filed a defence 7/11/06

Case transferred to Cardiff Court and a directions hearing set for 21 December 2006

Barclays caved in on 18th December and made an offer to settle in full

Money in my account 2 days later.

Case closed

I won

Follow my thread here

Hi maps-n-stuff.

This is just a directions hearing and they are unlikely to settle beofre it, but, you never know. Scrooge saw the light eventually though!

Yes, I do intend attending. I will have started my Xmas leave by then.

I am away working at present and internet connections are few and far between.

If you need to know anything regarding the Cardiff attendance, PM me.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

A link to the start of your thread is here . When you open it, save it to your favourites and save it as something like "My Case". Then you have the direct link back to it.

As for the interest issue, if you have used the spreadsheet on this site, it does the calculations for you. They don't do it, you do. Send in the copy of your spreadsheet this time including the 8% with your AQ.

The banking code says that they should not close an account which is in dispute as yours clearly is.

Welshman

All the best Welshman. About to send AQ for partner's Barclay's claim, your thread has helped to clarify a few things. Good to see that not much thought has gone into barclay's defence!

cheers, Paul

Alliance & Leicester, £2944.66 settled in full, donation made!!!

Capitol One (Partner), £475.01 settled in full, donation made!!!

Hi Welshman,

I've had my claim acknowledged and assigned to Northampton! I'm from Llantrisant, so I'm assuming I'll be transferred to Cardiff. Is there a particular problem with Cardiff and arclays at the moment......?

No. there's no problem with the Court. The problem with Barclays is that they're clogging the system up. You may be very lucky as I assume that Llantrisant is part of the Cardiff CC catchment area and you MAY find your case becomes part of the Hearing that mine is involved with as detailed above.

What date did you file? They have a total of 33 days to Defend (and will take that amount of time too).

Welshman

I have also had my claim acknowledged and assigned at Northampton.I am also in Llantrisant.Barclays intend to defend all of the claim.My claim was issued on the 31st october and deemed served on the 5th nov.Looks like we might all be there together.I have also been thinking, the people answering our letters must know about this fabulous and fair website so isnt it a bit like they know everything each step of the way.Does this give them an unfair advantage?

Hi Welshman and Lottie,

I received notification of my claim from the court on Monday (was that the 13th?). I've heard nothing from Barclays yet, which is why I'm concerned about not formally 'accepting yet dismissing' their less-than-50% offer.

Hi Welshman, sorry to bother you. barclays have now removed my overdraft and are demanding i pay back £899 to clear my account. which i don't have. i've already filed with money claim for £2300 against them for unfair bank charges. can they force me to pay this back before this issue is sorted?

Good luck Welshy, I shall be keeping an eye on your progress. I am intendinig to issue Barclays with my SAR as of this weekend and so I'll start up my own thread early next week!

Paulo Saolo

'If you like it try it, If you don't like it; try it you might like it.'

'Inside every sack of $h!te, there's a spark of gold. Now, it might just be the wrapper off a Caramac, but it's there'

Welshman I've been following your case with interest. Barclays have until tomorrow 24/11 to respond to my letter of repayment. I've given them a total of 21 days before I file my claim on MCOL which I feel is more than enough time. My case is junklunacy v Barclays if anyone is interested in following.

Barclays Bank - Preliminary Approach for payment 03/11/2006

SETTLED IN FULL 05/02/2007 £1722

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/46690-junklunacy-barclays.html

Welshman I've been following your case with interest. Barclays have until tomorrow 24/11 to respond to my letter of repayment. I've given them a total of 21 days before I file my claim on MCOL which I feel is more than enough time. My case is junklunacy v Barclays if anyone is interested in following.

I've responded in your thread.

Welshman

Hello sorry to bother you,but noticed you are online now.I dont seem to be able to open the link for the oft statement summary and the early day motion from the housus of parliment.Did you have any problem with these.And also the sale of goods amendement act.

Not sure why you're having a problem. Are you reading it in Microsoft Word document? If so you need to hold the cursor over the link, press and hold the Control key and click with the mouse.

Try that. If it doesn't work, PM me please.

Welshman

Hi, i also have a directions hearing scheduled for 10:30am in Cardiff with Judge Hendicott. I wrote to the court to have my partner attend on my behalf because i am away. Is anyone preparing anything to bring? Are you preparing a bundle or just turning up so the judge can set a few dates? I'm starting to get a bit confused!!

Hi. I will have actually started my Xmas leave so I will be going (barring something extraordinary happening in the meantime).

I will be taking my bundle with me as, if the Judge lists the cases for hearings and allocates a date, I will try and leave my bundle there on the day.

• Haha 1

Welshman

SETTLED IN FULL.

Data Protection Act sent 26th May 2006

Not Received - polite reminder 7th August 2006

Statements received 10th August 2006

Preliminary letter sent 11th August 2006

Standard reply received 17th August 2006

LBA sent 25th August 2006

Offer Received and declined 30th August 2006

Filed for Court via MCOL 8/9/2006

Letter received confirming it on 9/9/2006

Claim acknowledged on 26/9/2006

Defence laid on 10/10/2006

AQ received/filled in/deposited in Court 12/10/2006.

Barclays submitted their AQ on the 30th October

Notice of transfer to Cardiff County Court 9/11/2006

Listed for Directions Hearing at Cardiff at 10.30am 21st December 10/11/2006

Phoned Alex Martin @ Churchill Place & asked if they wanted to settle. 30/11/2006

Phoned me back within 5 minutes and did just that.

Money in Bank, Thank You very much, and have anice Christmas. 8/12/2006

Welshman

Barclays Claimants Directions Hearing Cardiff 21st December 2006

I HAVE SETLED IN FULL

( WELL LESS £8 )

This is how I did it.

FIRSTLY, PLEASE DON'T PHONE THEM UNTIL YOU HAVE A COURT DATE. IF YOU DO, THEY MAY GET FED UP WITH IT AND PULL THE PLUG ON SETTLING BY PHONE WITH CLAIMANTS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR DATE.

Phone Alex Martin at their Legal Department on 020 7116 4523. Tell him that you have a Hearing scheduled and ask if you can get in touch with the person dealing with your claim.

He will ask for some details from you and put you on the correct Course. BUT, before you ring, check your current claim total including your latest daily interest total - I was asked what my current claim was.

Be nice and Polite to both him and whoever else you speak to. Remember, they are only doing their job and doing what their employers are telling them to do.

You may be able to settle or you may not. I don't know what the criteria is.

This most probably will work with Barclays claimants, who have a court date elsewhere too.

Good Luck.

Welshman

Congratulations!! Worth all the hassles you had to go through!

04 Nov 06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent

16 Nov 06 - Statements received - £2685.00 of illegal charges incurred

17 Nov 06 - PAR (Preliminary Approach for Repayment) letter sent

01 Dec 06 - Received Stalling letter from Barclays

02 Dec 06 - LBA (Letter Before Action) sent

18 Dec 06 - Claim filed with MCOL

20 Dec 06 - Settlement Rejection letter sent

03 Jan 07 - Claim acknowleged by Barclays

22 Jan 07 - Claim defended by Barclays

You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!

Please click the scales at the bottom left if you find my advice useful. However, the advice I give is only my opinion based on my experience, I am not trained in Law!