• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Welshman v Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just about to start my own thread. need to ask a quick queston first thou. i've just recieved a letter from Barclays offering me £1000, i know i must reject this with a letter like this,

Dear Mr White

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd July 2006.

I have to say that I find your offer of £1000.00 some what insulting taking into account that the total Barclays have charged me currently stands at £xxxx.

I am happy to acknowledge this as partial payment of the money owed to me, however I will still be seeking payment of the outstanding balance and this does not constitute closure of my overall claim.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I require repayment in full of this money, for which I have enclosed another copy of my charges. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount with interest plus my costs and without further notice.

I look forward to hearing your comments

Yours Sincerely

however i was going to file with money claim today, do hold off now for another 14 days or not. and also if i do file today do i file for £1000 less?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You continue to file your claim as per your timescale.

Do not reduce your claim by £1000 - you wont get it from Barclays. As soon as they get your response (which you should still send) they will say tough luck no deal, we want to get away with a measly £1000 as full and final settlement only.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

thanks welshman

i be reading your thread to keep updated on how you going as i seem to be a little bit behind you so all seems good

i will read the section about the bundall and get that all sorted to send of or get ready for when we go to court

thanks again

BARCLAYS

24/10 NOTICE OF ACKNOWLEDGE OF SEVICE - DEFENDING

09/10 NOTICE OF ISSUE

08/10 MCOLL SENT

23/9 LETTER RECEIVED SAYING NO TO PARTIAL CLAIM AND ITS FULL AND FINAL

19/9 MONEY CLAIM FORM BEING FILLED IN

19/9 LETTER SENT BACK DECLINING OFFER OR ACCEPTING AS PART OFFER

19/9 LETTER RECEIVED WITH OFFER OF £670

6/9 LBA SENT AND SCHEDUAL SENT

25/8 ACKNOWLEDGE LETTER TO COMPLAINT RECEIVED

22/8 PRIMINARY LETTER AND SCHEDUAL SENT

20/8 STATMENTS RECEIVED

20/7 LETTER RECEIVED FROM PETER TOWNSEND ABOUT STATMENTS

12/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING STATMENTS.

ABBEY

£220 ALL RECEIVED

Just got back from a weeks' work away to find nothing in the post so rang the court to be told that it has now been transferred to Cardiff. Being processed tomorrow.

I spoke to the Court Staff who told me that the Directions Hearing is just that. Nothing is required from anyone as it is only for the Judge to direct where the cases go next. There's a good chance that, as mine is, in essence, the same as others already in the process it will be added to the ones in the list in December.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

Hi Welshman. Have you heard if your case is being transferred yet? I got a letter from the Cardiff County Court last week saying that directions will be given on my case by Judge Hickinbottom on 21st Dec at 10am. I don't have to attend, but if I don't I need to make a written representation. Anybody any idea how to write a written representation? I don't want to damage my case...

Good Question.

I think I have covered everything in my particulars of claim when I submitted the AQ. I think the only matter I would want the Judge to consider mostly would the matter of Standard Disclosure. If he were to direct that the Bank disclose by XX/XX/2007, the way they calculate their charges, this would bring a really swift end to the proceeedings.

Don't do that just yet, let me check first and I'll get back here soon.

Welshman

Hello Welshman, thanks for getting me onto this site, no. 105. what you spelled out there is exactly or next exact the wordings i got from barclays defence. I also received a questionnaire from the courts. now how do i progress? i notice you & others talking of bundles, which i suspect are documents to put together. do these go back with the questionnaire? some acronyms you've used are baffling. What is LBA, or AQ. please any advice on what to do now.Ta Jacqui

At the bottom of your AQ (Allocation Questionnaire) there's a form number. It will be either N149 or N150. Dependant on which one it is, for information how to complete it, you need to go here .

In section G you will need to write this:

"I am respectfully requesting my claim be heard via the small claims

track. This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and

not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the

defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed

or even reflect their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their

actual costs and I am surprised the defendant did not counterclaim

for these, as I would have paid them without argument. However,

the continuing problem is (in common with the hundreds of other

cases currently being brought by other bank customers) that the

banks are refusing to reveal the details of their penalty-charging

regime, and that the charges they apply to accounts for exceeding

overdraft limits and so on are entirely disproportionate to the

actual costs the banks incur. As the banks have a fiduciary duty

towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly

and in utmost good faith. Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that

the court in this case, not withstanding allocations to the small

claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in

the courts discretion to do so. I believe this would bring a rapid

end to this litigation. I have attached the schedule of the charges

I am claiming for to this allocation questionnaire to show a

breakdown of the amounts for the courts perusal.

I believe the case will take no longer than 1 hour".

You need to print it quite small to fit it all in.

If you need more help, post a question in your thread.

Good Luck

Welshman

Hi Welshman i have just gone to my thread as you indicated but the mail does not appear here when i come back to yours. will u be able to read it from there. sorry to sound daft, this is all very new to me. does this mean i don't send replies from here anymore? but always go to the link you gave me? jacqui

Noswedd dda.I can speak welsh but its rusty.Been keeping up with your thread.Well done up to now.They(barclays)have until 19th of Nov to defend themselves.I filed my clain with mcol but oops i said that my claim did involve the human rights act.Do you know if this will cause me problems?

Hi welshman...only just heard about this site this evening believe it or not on my car club lol so I am gonna send a 'tenplated letter' to Barclays with the ten quid (though i read its free?) for the past 6 years statements and 30 quid a day charges for 1st 3 days ...pfff.!

u have given me a urge to sort it so cheers matey ;)

Hi Welshman,

This is one of the best threads i have read (out of the thousands which i have read) and as i am days away from sending my LBA i am followiing yours and others progress closely.

I really look forward to hearing the outcome of this story and hope that Barclays realise their time has come to end concerning always winning against us so called valued customers.

What comes around goes around as they say!!!

Good luck from here on in, not that you need it, and thanks again for this wonderful thread.

Kind regards , Mark

NATIONWIDE:

WON - 26/10/06

FULL REFUND - WITHIN 7 DAYS OF MCOL

Acknowledged - 25/10/06

MCOL Issued - 24/10/06

MCOL Sent - 23/10/06

LBA sent 01/09/06

Prelim Sent - 07/08/06

BARCLAYS BANK:

AQ sent 25/1/07

Defended on last day possible.

MCOL - Issued 13/12/06

MCOL- Sent 12/12/06

S.A.R - Sent - 25/10/2006

S/Ment rec - 4/11/06

Prelim sent - 6/11/06

BARCLAYS LOAN:

BLACK HORSE:

SETTLED IN FULL

CCA to get loan agreement info - Sent - 25/10/06

Prelim sent PPI + Charges 11/11/06

CAPITAL ONE

Prem sent 11/12/06

S/Ments Rec - 5/12/06

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - Sent - 9/11/06

I sent off my AQ back at the beginning of August and have only just had a date back from the court for 21st dec at 10.30 (looks like I'm up straight after you organic!) I phoned the court a month or so back to find out why I hadn't heard anything. I gave the blokie my case no and he went 'ooohhh, its another one of them bank claim ones.' He said they were waiting for results on test cases in london or something then were going to put them all together on the same day, which looks like its probably judges last day before xmas hols and is looking forward to going home early when no one turns up cos they all settled beforehand!

I'm a bit stuck now as to what to send to court and barclays. I have read it somewhere a long time ago and am about to go digging but if you're able to give me some idea Welshman it would be much appreciated.

Ta.

That was quick. Transferred to Cardiff last Thursday and letter this morning that it has been listed alongside the others for a Directions Hearing on the 21st of December 2006.

Data Protection Act sent 26th May 2006

Not Received - polite reminder 7th August 2006

Statements received 10th August 2006

Preliminary letter sent 11th August 2006

Standard reply received 17th August 2006

LBA sent 25th August 2006

Offer Received and declined 30th August 2006

Filed for Court via MCOL 8/9/2006

Letter received confirming it on 9/9/2006

Claim acknowledged on 26/9/2006

Defence laid on 10/10/2006

AQ received/filled in/deposited in Court 12/10/2006.

Barclays submitted their AQ on the 30th October

Notice of transfer to Cardiff County Court 9/11/2006

Listed for Directions Hearing at Cardiff at 10.30am 21st December 10/11/2006

• Haha 1

Welshman

Hi Welshman, sorry for bogging you again. Pls could you confirm to me whether after paying this extra £100 to the courts when sending back my questionnaire, they will calculate and add all the inerest to my £2500 claim?. i am terrible with figure and didn't know how to do that. i ahve posted a new thread soewhere to find out whether my account will be closed as barclays continues to claim £35 charges so over this whole period i have maxed and now gone over my agreed OD limit of £2500. will they demand all this be paid in say a month, or close my account? any such experinces from anyone? thanks. jacqui

how to i go irectly to my threads when i sign on or get replies there to follow on from previous messages. i cant get all my messages in one thread as you advised. have read the relevant pages but still terrified of how to go on with the questionnare and return the forms to court by 26/11/06