You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

scooterist007

Unfair treatment from Police

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3980 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, just had a major problem with the Police, my daughter has a 50cc moped, she bought it and was told it was standard condition and it looks in standard condition, now I MOT'd it for her ready for her 16th birthday, and when it pulled away, I had to help it by pushing with me feet!! Now tonight she and two friends got pulled over by an unmarked police car and told them to take their bikes to the police station and put their bikes on a dyno machine to test its top speed, now they all did over 30mph and had their bikes impounded at £150 release fee and £20 a day on top. Now I think this is daylight robbery and kids who do everything right ie CBT, Road tax, mot etc, but how are anyone supposed to know if a bike does more than 30mph as also the speedos are alway optermistic, Now my question is, can the machine they use be legal? I mean how does anyone know how correct the machine is, also when they tested the bikes, they were not sat on them, and also surly wind resistence should take into account to the top speed, also I know that that if you was to put a bike on a dyno to test BHP there are so many factors to the reading ie like weather etc, so how can they say it goes too fast??

I know this is proberly the wrong place to post but I have know idea where to post! so appologies if it is, also if anyone knows a good place to go to find out info about this, I would be most grateful.

I do think this is daylight robbery, money for nothing, my daughter asked how many bikes they stopped, and the police said they have pulled over loads and 95% failed and where impounded, infact while I was there more bikes where bought in, if you do things right you get charged for it, how many uninsured drivers etc out there? they get chased by the police then get cought then goto court and get let off, like speed cameras on dual cariageways to stop people doing 75 in a 70 limit, but do you see them outside schools??? not on your nelly.

right rant over with! :mad:

Claim Woolwich

Data protection act letter sent 29/09/06

List of charges received 04/10/06

Claiming £2931.66 inc 8%

PreliminaryLetter sent 05/10/06

31/10/06 Offer of £1000!

LBA sent 07/11/06

Claim More Than credit card (Lloyds TSB)

Another Data protection act letter sent 03/11/06

Claim Captital One credit card

Data protection act letter sent 07/11/06

There will be calibration certificates for the equipment as there is for all equipment used for law enforcement. You are entitled to see these certificates.

How far over 30 was it?

Conniff

Quick Question Ref Calibration Cirtificate

If You Request To See It, Say A Speed Gun, The Reply Is, It Will Be Produced In Court

What About Showing All Eveidence Befor A Trial

You Are Prejudiced If They Dont Show It Before Hand

Also TheY Say Accept Three Points Or Sixty Quid Fine, Go To Court And Risk More

You Just Cant Win

Why were they stopped in the first place, must have a valid reason?

Conniff

Quick Question Ref Calibration Cirtificate

If You Request To See It, Say A Speed Gun, The Reply Is, It Will Be Produced In Court

What About Showing All Eveidence Befor A Trial

You Are Prejudiced If They Dont Show It Before Hand

Also TheY Say Accept Three Points Or Sixty Quid Fine, Go To Court And Risk More

You Just Cant Win

You can ask for calibration certificates under the Freedon of Information, so I can't see they would be able to refuse your request if they might be required in defence of some complaint.

Ray has posed a good question - Why were they stopped ?

They were stopped for no reason, every moped in the town last night and stopped and made to ride to the police station so their bikes can be tested, the only reason they were given was, that they were testing every ped to see if the bikes would go over the stated 50kmh 31mph, her bike was tested at 41 mph and one of her friends bike was tested at 38mph, I did ask to see the calibration certificate and the training for the operator, which they claimed to have, and sort of showed me, but he wouldnt let me hold it and read it.

Claim Woolwich

List of charges received 04/10/06

Claiming £2931.66 inc 8%

PreliminaryLetter sent 05/10/06

31/10/06 Offer of £1000!

LBA sent 07/11/06

Claim More Than credit card (Lloyds TSB)

Another Data protection act letter sent 03/11/06

Claim Captital One credit card

Data protection act letter sent 07/11/06

Many 50cc mopeds are capable of over 30mph, but are mechanically restricted to comply with UK law. It's usually easy to de-restrict them - have a look at this site. The speedo should not be so optimistic that it shows a 20 - 25% error.

I suppose the easiest way to check before buying is to test drive - if it appears to do more than 33-35mph then it's likely to have been de-restricted - then get it checked by a bike mechanic, who can usually confirm very quickly if a moped has been de-restricted.

Surely a Moped (by law) must have an engine size LESS than 50cc?

Surely a Moped (by law) must have an engine size LESS than 50cc?

Many "50cc" motorcycles have an engine capacity of less than 50cc. 49cc is common but I've also seen 47cc.

Not just the additional wind resistance of a rider, but also the additional weight should affect top speed. And there's also the possibility of the dyno having reduced friction compared to a road surface.

Not that I claim to know much, but if it was me that had the problem, I would contact the manufacturer to ask under what circumstances the moped is expected to be restricted to 30mph, and whether they feel that a test of the sort performed by the police is a fair measurement of maximum speed.

41mph does sound quite fast. As mentioned above, it could have been derestricted. In which case, unfortunately, it may be guilty as charged.

In this report, of 21 people stopped, 20 were given cautions for their speed. It seems unlikely that 20 out of 21 mopeds would be derestricted.

Hampshire Constabulary: Police launch clampdown on modified mopeds using dynamometer

If there was a sweep of mopeds, and many failed, it might be worth contacting other moped riders. If there is a group of people who all have been wrongly fined, then taking the case to the police as a group might be more effective.

Good point Annoying Twit. A stationary rolling road type test does not represent actual moving conditions.

We need to know under what conditions the restriction applies: moving with wind resistance and rider weight, or stationary on a test machine.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Definition of a moped, taken from the DirectGov website.

What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)

an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc

If this is correct then it is the "design speed" that is the criteria not the actual speed that the machine does. The "design speed" will allow for a single person of average weight NOT unloaded on a rolling road.

I would suggest that you quote this statement back at the police and see what their reaction is.

Just a thought - surely a dynamometer is for measuring power not speed although it may have a speedometer fitted, this is not it's primary purpose. However it's 20 years since I worked with them, things may have changed.

Regards

I've done a quick search, and can't find any references to using dynamometers to measure the top speed of vehicles. There are plenty of references to the top speed of the dynamometers themselves. There is an interesting bit in the wikipedia page about dyno testing not being an accurate measure of drag racing performance: Dynamometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I presume it's the OP asking the same question on: Police problems with moped doing more than 30mph - FightBack Forums

People there also agree that the dynanometer is not appropriate for measuring top speed.

I wonder what would happen if someone used a FOI request on the Hampshire police to request all information they hold concerning the accuracy of dynamometer testing to establish the top speed of vehicles. Knowing the manufacturer of the dyno would also be useful, as the manufacturer may be prepared to supply information about the dyno's use.

Mopeds are usually restricted in some way though, and that is how they stay at around 30mph. Usually this will be a rev limiter. If this is the case then it could weigh 1kg and it will still only hit 30mph. In this situation a dyno test would be completely adequate.